Andersen Hitch Pin

Here is a "Nice Tip" I got during the Oliver Rally in Alabama, which I think will make life a little easier. 

I don't remember the guy's name, but I think it is a great Idea, thanks!

Basically, it involves replacing the original 5/8 inch Silver-Pin/Light Duty Spring Clip with the Red-Pin/Heavier Duty Spring Clip. IMHO, there are several benefits, 1. The Pin has a Handle (Red) which makes installing and removing the Pin much easier. I also elected to get a 1/4 inch Spring Clip which is much heavier than the Stock Clip, and therefore is harder to come out accidentally. 2. The 5/8 inch Pin has a Tapered Tip so it can aid in centering the Pin into the hole. 3. The Pin (p/n 269028) is available at Tractor Supply for only $4.99, the Spring Clip (p/n 268616) for $2.99.

Finally, I put a light coat of Vaseline on the Pin and in the corresponding holes in the Hitch to make inserting the Pin a little easier, it won't stain your cloths either.

IMG_0718.JPG

IMG_0723.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

i have been using this same pin and spring clip with the tapered tip for almost six years; mine was also purchased from Tractor Supply.  It really aids in hooking up and unhooking. 

• Like 1

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

• Moderators

Yep - 

This "tractor Supply" pin mod has been around for a fair number of years now.  I always recommend that if a new owner is about to pick up their new Oliver (and has the Andersen), one of the first things they should do is drive out of the delivery area and straight into the Hohenwald Tractor Supply sales lot to buy one of these.

Thanks for bringing the mod up again though and it is also a great reminder for those still waiting for delivery that they really can learn something by taking a stroll through past history here on the Forum.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

We just returned from a 4 day trip where we used the Tractor Supply Hitch Pin for the first time.

I am amazed at what a huge improvement this has made! When we went to Hitch-Up, alway a trying time, the New Pin made things easy, and I mean easy! For an investment of $8.00, you get a priceless improvement! I wonder if Andersen has ever considered making this Standard Equipment or an accessory? 

Several of the previous Posts indicated that this idea has been around for years, but of the 28 Trailers at Alabama, I only saw one trailer using it. Of course, not all trailers used the Andersen Hitch, maybe 75% did, thats still a big number not using this Pin!

I can't recommend it more, best thing since sliced bread.

• Moderators

Pat - 

Some of us "old timers" like to keep these things "secret" so that you new guys can earn your stripes (just kidding) 😁.

Bill

p.s.  note the "keeper pin" on the hitch pin - it has a slight bend at the bottom which helps to prevent it from coming out.  I don't think that you can purchase them like this as I bent this myself using a vise and a two pound hammer.

P1020030.JPG

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I've got the same Locking Pin'Ring set up, but prefer the Heavy Duty 1/4 Spring Clip. I think it is harder to accidentally fall out. 

I guess my point in bring this up again, is that I am surprised how just a "Simple/Inexpensive" and "Extremely Effective" Modification is, it isn't more commonly used by a larger number of Oliver owners! 

More to the point! You hear all kinds of complaints about how hard the Andersen Hitch is to use, (it does have its moments) but when there is something that can GREATLY IMPROVE the situation to few people use it. Go figure! I would expect this to be used by almost everyone.

I've sent this idea along to Andersen for their comments.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1