Camping at Corps of Engineers Parks

SNY SD UP

Forum Members,

there are a number of titles (w/slight variations) of books addressing the above topic.  (if this has been discussed before, please let me know what to search for, for hits, as i found none)

authors are;   Roundabout Publications, Don & Joyce Wright, Spurgeon L. Hinkle to name a few.

is there one that rises above the others.  how about the same for State & National Parks.  are any of these books worth it, or do you use the INet for research for up to date camping locations.

i am of course reading all the contributions on the current thread > Oliver Camping  Campgrounds & Parks 

we just finished our 2nd outing of, 6 weeks, 6622 mi, 13 (mid-west & southern) states, 1-3 nights in each, at State, City, CoE & Harvest Host sites.  we have already started to look at the next outing.

Regards, Bryan & Maggie

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

• Moderators

Hinkle's book is in our library. 

We do love the coe parks in which we've camped.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

We prefer COE parks to others because they are usually very nice (not always - there are a few clinkers out there) and the price is right with the senior pass.  We don’t have any of the books, we research online with campground reviews and campground pictures.  We’d also be interested in any book reviews.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

so it appears that the book of preference (by some) is;

Camping with the Corps of Engineers (7th Ed): The Complete Guide to Campgrounds Owned and Operated by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers: Hinkle, S.L.: 9780937877500: Amazon.com: Books  (pub. 2007)

my only angst with this book is; i see was published in 2007, so how current is it?  how many CoE campgrounds have been created or closed since then, and have they added or removed hookup / amenity options?  i see newer (2018) books by others, so are they just updates or rewrites of the same.  the cost of the book is running about $50, because it is no longer in print, and is scarce  (the law of supply & demand), but WTH, we bought an Ollie, so i will buy this book, if it is the best reference.

just a FYI,

i did score a free CD https://corpslakes.erdc.dren.mil/visitors/booklet/Whole.pdf which can also be found on the www.CorpsLakes.us - Corps Lakes Gateway (dren.mil) website, in the Office at Great Salt Plains State Park, Jet OK.  the reason i pulled it, was because of our limited cell/INet coverage in some of our boon-docking campsites, while trying to plan for locations on our route ahead.  we look at the CD on the PC in SNY SD UP, find the future sites we are interested in.  then when we have cell/INet, we start making our reservations for our CoE locations. 

now at home (suffering from Post-Camping Depression), we are looking at that CD's link on the CoE website, as we begin planning our next outing.

Regards to all this Great Camping Season.

Bryan

Edited by SNY SD UP
forgot something, i never remember it all the first time...

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

COE are usually pretty decent and cheap for those with passes. 

Given the availability of internet apps...mainly Campendium.... I  no longer have much use for written copy. 

I simply head were we want to go and then find a place in the area.

I'm actually happily surprised we have had great choices despite the reported increase in RVers. 

RB 

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, BackofBeyond said:

actually happily surprised we have had great choices despite the reported increase in RVers. 

Because you look for beautiful,  isolated spaces, and defer hookups???

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

8 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Because you look for beautiful,  isolated spaces, and defer hookups???

Not always.  Sometimes an RV park just happens to be where we want to be . GO figure? 

However, when we left Lake City I was full h2o and had 12 gal in the portables. I was Prepared!!.

FIBARK - starts tomorrow.  We last went about 7 years back. Google it. We may attend once again  Chance is a great mistress. 

RB

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

On 6/16/2021 at 2:25 PM, SNY SD UP said:

so it appears that the book of preference (by some) is;

Camping with the Corps of Engineers (7th Ed): The Complete Guide to Campgrounds Owned and Operated by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers: Hinkle, S.L.: 9780937877500: Amazon.com: Books  (pub. 2007)

my only angst with this book is; i see was published in 2007, so how current is it?  how many CoE campgrounds have been created or closed since then, and have they added or removed hookup / amenity options?  i see newer (2018) books by others, so are they just updates or rewrites of the same.  the cost of the book is running about $50, because it is no longer in print, and is scarce  (the law of supply & demand), but WTH, we bought an Ollie, so i will buy this book, if it is the best reference.

just a FYI,

i did score a free CD https://corpslakes.erdc.dren.mil/visitors/booklet/Whole.pdf which can also be found on the www.CorpsLakes.us - Corps Lakes Gateway (dren.mil) website, in the Office at Great Salt Plains State Park, Jet OK.  the reason i pulled it, was because of our limited cell/INet coverage in some of our boon-docking campsites, while trying to plan for locations on our route ahead.  we look at the CD on the PC in SNY SD UP, find the future sites we are interested in.  then when we have cell/INet, we start making our reservations for our CoE locations. 

now at home (suffering from Post-Camping Depression), we are looking at that CD's link on the CoE website, as we begin planning our next outing.

Regards to all this Great Camping Season.

Bryan

Prices for the Hinkle book vary widely. We were fortunate to find one on the Thriftbooks.com site for about $30

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

What I like about Harvest Hosts:  quiet, generally flat, we usually don't unhitch, the small amount of money that you spend is often for products (farm produce, a museum tour, etc.) that have intrinsic value.  

• Like 1

"Creativity is the fun of putting together unexpected ideas."  Hazel Edwards

Nobody mentioned this excellent resource. …. https://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com/

If you change the search filters from default to “Corps of Engineers” it will show you just those campgrounds. HOWEVER, you need to be aware that sometimes a different bureau will actually operate those facilities. For example, along Lake Roosevelt National Recreational Area (Columbia River) in Washington there is a whole nest of wonderful Corps CGs that are operated by the National Park Service. All the green icons are NP operated, the red icons are Corps operated.

217DF72D-D8CF-412E-8398-EDCCE8074D64.thumb.png.b4a86a10f151ba9885a9c5653c836aaf.png

Click on an icon, then an info box pops up with details and links.

C226543A-A33E-4BBC-A4BF-DD6EF3A0A51D.thumb.png.6485868723b118e9175bfd5cb828cb09.png

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

Nobody mentioned this excellent resource. …. https://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com/

If you change the search filters from default to “Corps of Engineers” it will show you just those campgrounds. HOWEVER, you need to be aware that sometimes a different bureau will actually operate those facilities. For example, along Lake Roosevelt National Recreational Area (Columbia River) in Washington there is a whole nest of wonderful Corps CGs that are operated by the National Park Service. All the green icons are NP operated, the red icons are Corps operated.

217DF72D-D8CF-412E-8398-EDCCE8074D64.thumb.png.b4a86a10f151ba9885a9c5653c836aaf.png

Click on an icon, then an info box pops up with details and links.

C226543A-A33E-4BBC-A4BF-DD6EF3A0A51D.thumb.png.6485868723b118e9175bfd5cb828cb09.png

John Davies

Spokane WA

Well, that's a pretty cool feature.

Thanks, John. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Thanks, John,

I did not know about Ultimate Campgrounds. I like it. Leaving on my first Oliver camping trip ever, and first non-tent camping in about 10 years, this coming Sunday the 27th. Heading to Thomas Pointe Beach Campground in Maine as the ultimate destination, July 9-11. Then return to California, getting home when I do. First time out on a trip while fully retired. Unfortunately, first trip as an adult without my wife. Might try to meet my middle daughter for a trail run/race on Mt. Rainier near the end of July.

I will defintely make use of this app as well as Harvest Hosts.

John

• Like 2

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, JRK said:

I did not know about Ultimate Campgrounds. I like it.

Ultimate Campgrounds is my first go-to app to find a campground.  If there is nothing public that works then I go to Allstays or Campendium.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Actually the Garmin 890 GPS has the "Ultimate Campgrounds" aka "UG" built in to it, so it shows them to you. 

along with Forsquare, National Parks, and a few others. it appears as though you can download additional apps to be available thru the G890, however i have not done that yet.

Bryan, Out