Campfire Cooking

SeaDawg

• Moderators

Nothing tastes better than dinner over the open fire. Tonite's dinner.... heirloom tomatoes, sliced, from the Western NC Farmer's Market in Asheville, round steak marinated in teryiaki, foil grilled onions, zuccini and carrots in foil packet over the hickory coals.

We have to go home soon. Yes, we'll miss dinner outdoors, and our friend Lois who has been camping with us the last two months.

And, oh, will we miss those campfire dinners.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

MMMM... love to.

Today we went into Hendersonville to our favorite Irish pub, Hannah Flannigan's, and met some friends from Florida for a (big) lunch. We thought salad and dessert would be good tonite. Chef's salad and texas toast warmed over the coals, berry cobbler is on the fire now, in the Dutch oven, compliments of my friend, Lois.

Picked up some really nice extra pie irons on closeout at Tractor Supply this afternoon. Mini-pizzas tomorrow?

Any favorite campfire recipes or ideas you'd like to share?

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Tom,

Looks wondberful... except could we substitute chicken for the 'coon? (Every strange food is supposed to taste like chicken anyway, isn't it? Squirrel, alligator, etc. ... I personally never thought any of them tasted like chicken, though....)

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

:D n rattlesnake, n lizard, etc. But ain't nothin' better than real fresh BBQ'd chicken(cept'ing Betty's catfish) n good friends to help eat it! :o Here's hoping ya'll make it to the wedding where we'll have a shrimp n crawfish Boil that don't taste a bit loke chicken!!!! :o

Chuck 8-) n Geri :) n critters

• 11 years later...
  • Moderators

I'm going to revive this very old thread.

What are your favorite camping recipes, and cooking methods? 

We usually cook on the campfire, when we can, but rainy nights make that difficult. 

Rainy night, indoor speed scratch,  is sometimes jambalaya. 

Recently, I've used a microwave pouch of Knorr Spanish rice (I don't have a microwave ), instead of boiling rice.

A few chopped mini peppers, half a diced onion, a little leftover zucchini, and some fresh spinach, sautéed with a half a kielbasa. Add the rice pouch, and a small can of diced tomatoes with chiles, and precooked shrimp or some canned chicken.

Tasty , filling, and with a salad, a very complete meal. Oh, and add a good hot  sauce. 

Dinner in 12 minutes.

20210603_193240.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4