Solar bug zapper?

• Moderators

Has anyone tried a solar bug zapper, like this one from Lowe's?

Certainly priced right, but wondering about effectiveness. 

Even though it's still dropping down into the 50s at night here in our part of wnc, bug season is coming.  

No chemicals,  and no power draw, would indeed be a nice thing, if it works....

Screenshot_20210617-182341_Chrome.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

53 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Has anyone tried a solar bug zapper, like this one from Lowe's?

Certainly priced right, but wondering about effectiveness. 

Even though it's still dropping down into the 50s at night here in our part of wnc, bug season is coming.  

No chemicals,  and no power draw, would indeed be a nice thing, if it works....

Screenshot_20210617-182341_Chrome.jpg

You tube it I’m sure someone has reviewed it by now.

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderators

Not that specific brand or model, but, I've used these things for awhile.  The small ones are great for getting rid of those little tiny critters that always seem to show up against that nice shiny white Ollie interior - and bother the hell out of you while trying to get to sleep.

We had a bigger one that ran off 110 volts for the yard a few years ago and it also helped make the yard better.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Thanks. 

Think I'll just order it, and give it a try. 

The little gnats are coming out. I know the have their place in the ecosystem,  but I  just don't enjoy them flying around my face. 🤨

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We have a rechargeable bug zapper . . . . only tried it once or twice.  The device works on the assumption that bugs will be attracted to the light and get zapped.  During "bug season", with daylight savings time, it doesn't get dark until after 9:00 or so - past our bedtime!  Thus, when we tried it, we didn't have many "takers".

Until someone debunks my theory, the bug zapper stays in our garage;  we aren't willing to take on cargo that isn't worth its weight.  Please respond if you've had better results.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

I was given a nice powerful adjustable lamp that straps onto your forehead, it sounded like a great idea. The first evening I used it to hike to an outhouse I was swarmed by bugs, drawn right into my face. I no longer use that light, it got donated, I prefer a bright handheld light so the bugs will go down there.

I think a zapper might be OK, but it should be located a fair distance away from where you are sitting, to lure them in that direction, to their noisy doom. 😬

There are not that many flying bugs where I normally camp, but there are ticks. I hate ticks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
On 6/19/2021 at 12:16 AM, John E Davies said:

I hate ticks

Me, too.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
On 6/18/2021 at 10:54 PM, Ray and Susan Huff said:

During "bug season", with daylight savings time, it doesn't get dark until after 9:00 or so - past our bedtime!  Thus, when we tried it, we didn't have many "takers".

It stays light longer up by you,  I think, most of the summer. Even now, with our longest days in NC, the little flying jaws are drawn to my phone after 8 or so. I've been chased inside a few nights, and it's not even height of bug season.

I need to dig out the 12v fan, and at least try to blow them away from me.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I've always read that bug zappers don't work well with mosquitos.

But I do wonder if a small USB charged one (here's an even smaller one than above), might work to quickly eliminate the little gnats that sometimes invade the trailer; i.e., instead of trying to hunt them all down with a paper towel, just set up the zapper, turn the lights out, and let it do it's thing.

I’d think that for outside gnats, so long as the light was brighter than your phone, then it would work.  That, or attract twice as many of them. 🦟🦟🦟

Have you tried using the yellower night mode on the phone to see if that makes a difference?

For mosquitos, the only thing I've seen (apart from bug spray) that seems to get reliably good reviews is the Thermacell products.  Never tried one myself, though.

• Moderators

The interior "bug" lanterns that I mentioned above are the NEBO "Z Bug" (On Amazon) lantern and THIS ONE from Amazon.  Leaving either one on at night with just its blue bug attracting light on and no other lights leaves enough light to be able to negotiate around inside the Ollie while enjoying that short little "zapping" sound as another one of these little critters turns to dust.

The NEBO uses batteries while the other one is USB charged.  And, yes, both will zap mosquitos.  The only "problem" that I've noted is that the bug light reflects off the interior surfaces.  Thus, I think it takes awhile for the little critters to actually find the source of the light.  But, leaving it on for a couple of hours seems to allow for enough time for them to "go to the light".

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Overland said:

I've always read that bug zappers don't work well with mosquitos.

Even though the bug zapper is 30 per cent off today, I  removed it from the cart after reading the article you linked .

I'll dig out the 12v FanTastic box fan, and try to blow them away.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

On 6/20/2021 at 12:39 PM, SeaDawg said:

It stays light longer up by you,  I think, most of the summer. Even now, with our longest days in NC, the little flying jaws are drawn to my phone after 8 or so. I've been chased inside a few nights, and it's not even height of bug season.

I need to dig out the 12v fan, and at least try to blow them away from me.

I like the idea of a fan . . . . . we have one of these

• Haha 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators

Whoa ah! That should clear the situation, probably even on Antelope Island.

We have the 12v FanTastic endless breeze.

Screenshot_20210621-185605_Chrome.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4