Two Years Of Ownership - Suggestions/Ideas For The Existing Elite II And For A Future Elite II2/Elite III

AndrewK

We thought we would share a letter we sent to Oliver.   Please excuse the formatting as it was originally written in Word.

Keep in mind, these are only our opinions:

We are the owners of a 2019 Oliver Elite II, hull #468.  Since our first camping trip in October of 2019, we have taken 15 trips, camped approximately 100 days and have traveled over 16,000 miles.  We love our trailer and are very happy with it.  We would not trade it for any other RV on the market today but, we think there is room for improvement.

During our trips, we have extensively discussed what we like and what we would change, if we had the opportunity to design our ultimate Oliver Travel Trailer.

We wanted to share our thoughts with you in a hope to influence any future improvements or new trailers you produce.

Our suggestions/ideas for the existing Elite II:

-          Front Door

o   Molded fiberglass door, consistent with the quality of the rest of the trailer hull

-          Windows

o   Bigger - As big as possible.  The more light the better

o   Acrylic – Allowing for more clear view, better ventilation, better insulation (no exposed metal frame transferring heat or cold), use while raining

o   Additional window over the kitchen counter – A dark area of the trailer

-          Holding tanks

o   Bigger all the way around – More fully utilize the open inter-hull space

-          HVAC

o   Houghton AC – Existing AC is way too loud

o   Trauma Aqua Go Comfort Plus – Water savings with recirculating hot water

o   Trauma Vario Heat furnace – Quieter and more efficient

o   MaxxAir MaxxFan Dome in bathroom – Appears to be quieter better quality

-          Higher density seating cushions

-          Electric Option to include

o   12V DC Danfoss compressor refrigerator

o   Induction cooktop

-          Shunt based battery monitor

-          Make the fresh water drain larger to allow the tank to drain in a reasonable amount of time and make the valve more easily accessed or electric

-          Include an easily accessed battery disconnect

-          Rotate the cooktop top 90 degrees to its original position.  We understand the reason it was rotated but it is not safe.  I have burned the hair off of the back                 of my hand a number of times because, you are forced to reach over the burner to light it

-          Nightstand top at or below mattress height – Present height closes in sleeping area and causes half of the twin bed floor plan owners (Forum or Facebook                     survey results) to sleep with their heads toward the front of the trailer, due to the confined area at the rear of the trailer

-          Change the color/temperature of the lights in the upper cabinets to match the rest of the lights 

-          A standard (external) radio antenna that really works

-          One more towel rack in the bathroom

-          Higher quality outdoor shower or delete the option – Not to the standard of the rest of the trailer

Ideas for the Oliver Elite II2 /Elite III

-          Any or all of the above which apply

-          More room for a couple with the ability to sleep four – Would really expand the demographic – Families and Grandparents who want to take Grandchildren                 camping

-          8’ wide, 2’ to 3’ longer and a 2” to 3” increase in interior height to accommodate the following:

o   Wider and taller molded fiberglass front door with transparent window and window covering

o   Full height dry bath

o   Four seat dinette that converts into a bed for two

o   Approximately 80” x 34” (Airstream sized) twin beds to accommodate larger people

o   Walk around queen bed option – Not for us but it is the most common RV bed layout

o   Larger refrigerator installed lifted from the floor – 7 cu. ft. or so

o   An Oven without losing the great six kitchen drawers

o   50+ gallon fresh and grey holding tanks

o   25+ gallon black tank

o   Solar that more closely matches the amp hour capacity of the batteries – 200 watts per 100 amp hours if possible

o   MPPT solar controller – Current standard and more efficient than PVM controller

o   Adjustable Torsion axle suspension – Smoother ride and more wheel travel

o   Disc brakes

o   Four corner stabilizing/leveling jacks

o   Onboard drinking water filtration

We really like the existing Elite II floor plan and feel the same basic layout could be maintained in a larger foot-print, with many or all of the above suggestions/ideas included. 

Another floor plan to take a close look at is, the 23FB Twin Globetrotter Airstream.  We like the camp side dinette and full-width dry bath but would flip the bath to the front and the beds to the rear.

Thank you for your time and consideration and for being such a GREAT company!

Carianne and Andrew

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

36 minutes ago, AndrewK said:

-          Change the color/temperature of the lights in the upper cabinets to match the rest of the lights 

I'm glad to know there's someone else out there who's day can be ruined by lighting temperature.

There's really nothing on your list that I disagree with.  I wouldn't change the nightstand, personally; but since it just screws on, I could see Oliver offering an option for a shorter unit.  It might not be difficult even to retrofit a cool looking cubby out of wood, reusing the existing top.  Perhaps that's something @Foy_Mirna might make for someone.  

• Like 3

• Moderators
5 hours ago, AndrewK said:

Larger refrigerator installed lifted from the floor – 7 cu. ft. or so

I think this was the first or second item on my list, when Oliver asked for suggestions on the initial plans for the II.

I can't find much to add to your list, with the exception of looking for opportunities for weight reduction, especially if the next model is larger . Maybe metal drawers like Ikea, instead of the very heavy (though wonderful) wood drawers. Many of the appliance upgrades you mentioned (houghton ac, dc fridge, etc.) also lighten the load.

Alde or another brand quiet and efficient hydronic heat system would be a really nice option, as would the Vario. Both are quite expensive,  but I  think a lot if people would opt for the additional comfort .

I spoke with the manager at Truma Lakeland when the vario was first introduced in the US.  It would be a fairly simple option to offer. I think he said changing my Suburban out for a Vario would only take three orcfour hours, and would fit in the same space.  

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 6/18/2021 at 8:13 AM, AndrewK said:

We thought we would share a letter we sent to Oliver.   Please excuse the formatting as it was originally written in Word.

Keep in mind, these are only our opinions:

We are the owners of a 2019 Oliver Elite II, hull #468.  Since our first camping trip in October of 2019, we have taken 15 trips, camped approximately 100 days and have traveled over 16,000 miles.  We love our trailer and are very happy with it.  We would not trade it for any other RV on the market today but, we think there is room for improvement.

During our trips, we have extensively discussed what we like and what we would change, if we had the opportunity to design our ultimate Oliver Travel Trailer.

We wanted to share our thoughts with you in a hope to influence any future improvements or new trailers you produce.

Our suggestions/ideas for the existing Elite II:

-          Front Door

o   Molded fiberglass door, consistent with the quality of the rest of the trailer hull

-          Windows

o   Bigger - As big as possible.  The more light the better

o   Acrylic – Allowing for more clear view, better ventilation, better insulation (no exposed metal frame transferring heat or cold), use while raining

o   Additional window over the kitchen counter – A dark area of the trailer

-          Holding tanks

o   Bigger all the way around – More fully utilize the open inter-hull space

-          HVAC

o   Houghton AC – Existing AC is way too loud

o   Trauma Aqua Go Comfort Plus – Water savings with recirculating hot water

o   Trauma Vario Heat furnace – Quieter and more efficient

o   MaxxAir MaxxFan Dome in bathroom – Appears to be quieter better quality

-          Higher density seating cushions

-          Electric Option to include

o   12V DC Danfoss compressor refrigerator

o   Induction cooktop

-          Shunt based battery monitor

-          Make the fresh water drain larger to allow the tank to drain in a reasonable amount of time and make the valve more easily accessed or electric

-          Include an easily accessed battery disconnect

-          Rotate the cooktop top 90 degrees to its original position.  We understand the reason it was rotated but it is not safe.  I have burned the hair off of the back                 of my hand a number of times because, you are forced to reach over the burner to light it

-          Nightstand top at or below mattress height – Present height closes in sleeping area and causes half of the twin bed floor plan owners (Forum or Facebook                     survey results) to sleep with their heads toward the front of the trailer, due to the confined area at the rear of the trailer

-          A standard (external) radio antenna that really works

-          One more towel rack in the bathroom

-          Higher quality outdoor shower or delete the option – Not to the standard of the rest of the trailer

Ideas for the Oliver Elite II2 /Elite III

-          Any or all of the above which apply

-          More room for a couple with the ability to sleep four – Would really expand the demographic – Families and Grandparents who want to take Grandchildren                 camping

-          8’ wide, 2’ to 3’ longer and a 2” to 3” increase in interior height to accommodate the following:

o   Wider and taller molded fiberglass front door with transparent window and window covering

o   Full height dry bath

o   Four seat dinette that converts into a bed for two

o   Approximately 80” x 34” (Airstream sized) twin beds to accommodate larger people

o   Walk around queen bed option – Not for us but it is the most common RV bed layout

o   Larger refrigerator installed lifted from the floor – 7 cu. ft. or so

o   An Oven without losing the great six kitchen drawers

o   50+ gallon fresh and grey holding tanks

o   25+ gallon black tank

o   Solar that more closely matches the amp hour capacity of the batteries – 200 watts per 100 amp hours if possible

o   MPPT solar controller – Current standard and more efficient than PVM controller

o   Adjustable Torsion axle suspension – Smoother ride and more wheel travel

o   Disc brakes

o   Four corner stabilizing/leveling jacks

o   Onboard drinking water filtration

We really like the existing Elite II floor plan and feel the same basic layout could be maintained in a larger foot-print, with many or all of the above suggestions/ideas included. 

Another floor plan to take a close look at is, the 23FB Twin Globetrotter Airstream.  We like the camp side dinette and full-width dry bath but would flip the bath to the front and the beds to the rear.

Thank you for your time and consideration and for being such a GREAT company!

Carianne and Andrew

Another advantage to lowering the nightstand: it would make tucking in bedding much easier.  Our Leisure Travel Van Twin Bed night stand was level with the bed platforms.  It also had a fold out top that transformed the twin beds into a king.  We did not use this option as it resulted in disturbing your sleep partner during nightly visits to the bathroom.  It also required carrying accessory mattress fillers, but is does provide the option of a larger bed.

I would like to see a change in the way the black/grey tanks empty; it is not always possible to raise the nose of the trailer to get complete evacuation.  Not sure if a design change is possible, but maybe the option of a 12v pump.

I would love a window in the kitchen, but that might not be structurally feasible; a sky light would be nice, but then that's one more way for water to leak in.

Edit: I revisited the idea of a skylight, thinking one would be great toward the front of the cabin.  It would illuminate the entry and add natural light to the dining area/galley.  However, I see there is no room available on the roof since I'm not willing to sacrifice the solar panels.

Darn 😭

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Great topic and ideas for improvement.  Thanks for sending to Oliver, I really hope they listen, it seems you put a lot of thought into it from real-world experience.

So here are my views.  But I will add the following: I don't own an Oliver yet, but planning to buy one soon.  Never been in one yet either.  My comments below are purely from YouTube/FB etc, so don't roast me 🤣

Most I what I observed is on your very comprehensive list - just writing down the things that jumped out at me:

Need bigger fresh water tank, perhaps option to ditch/convert blank tank to fresh where the composting toilet is optioned.

Need a bigger refrigerator and definitely a compressor style one.

Switch to a MPTT solar controller.

More solar, perhaps a fold-out option (not sure of that is feasible).

Door pockets like nu-camp trailers.

Lot's of people complain the a/c unit is too loud - I see you have that covered above, but can it be ducted too?

Automatic leveling jacks.

Reverse the blackout window blind and screen; blackout should start from bottom to add some privacy, while still letting some light from the top.

Sonos speaker option for audiophiles. 

Hinge top cabinets from top and add a gas strut. 

Also love the idea of a slightly larger Elite III, definitely wider, but not too much longer.  Dry-bath would be great, somewhere to lounge would be nice, not just the bed option.  For example, flip-up leg extenders on dinette seating. 

Thanks again

Paul

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Flat world said:

My comments below are purely from YouTube/FB etc, so don't roast me 🤣

We don't do a lot of roasting here, so, you can mark yourself "safe." 😉

Many of us (as @Overland labels us 🙃) crazy people, have done a bunch of experimental mods to make our trailers suit our unique situations.  Over the years, Oliver has introduced many of those mods as either features or options. 

One thing none of us has been able to do is stretch the hull, either way. 😆

I, personally,  don't want more width. I love the way my early Elite handles skinny mountain roads.

I'd  personally love an Elite, with a few more inches of head height, and maybe 10 to 14 inches in extra length, for a bigger bed, and maybe squeeze a little bigger fridge. (Which i could do, even now, I think, with more crazy mods.)

I'm ok with the current fridge. Two people, two weeks. Longer trips, I  need grocery stores, or I need to buy an auxiliary dc cooler. But then, most produce only lasts 2 weeks, so... whatever.

Welcome to the forum. 

Hope you get to see a tour one day soon, and see why we all live these Oliver trailers. Warts and all 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Flat world said:

Hinge top cabinets from top and add a gas strut. 

That was also on my list, a decade ago.

Good idea.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

41 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

We don't do a lot of roasting here, so, you can mark yourself "safe." 😉

Phew 😅

I agree, doubt Oliver will push the size, seems like they want to stay a niche company, which is actually a good thing.  Once they get too big, things go wrong; staff turnover then quality drops, then the dreaded "Thor" affect!

I like that they have increased the Lithium offerings + the composting toilet is great.. don't see that much.

Hopefully I will arrange a Ollie customer visit soon, so able to relate to this thread better.

Enjoy the ride and do what makes you happy 😀

I just don't understand the need to turn the Oliver into  - SOB. To adopt many of the suggestions would require significant re-engineering - a much larger Oliver - and for sure a much more $$$.

Perhaps Oliver will consider a few of the ideas put forth - well perhaps....

The move to offer the new Lithium packages is a good move - but have you priced an Ollie lately- now lets add a variable list of options. I must say - Oliver has actually worked hard to standardize and reduce build options - and it just makes sense.  

Think of your Ollie as a base line TT. Now go have fun - customize as you wish. 

I was very happy with my EII - well ok - the jet engine on the  roof was a bit much.

Happy Trails

RB

• Like 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Flat world said:

I agree, doubt Oliver will push the size, seems like they want to stay a niche company, which is actually a good thing

I suspect someday, we'll see a bigger Ollie. Personally,  I  wouldn't expect it any time in the near future. 

Everything in the Oliver is pretty much a mold redesign.  I happened to be in the factory when Oliver hired a company to scan the one, and build a plug design for the II.  It was a big, and very expensive deal.

Trailers that build a shell, and build it out with plywood/osb/ and paneling have a lot more latitude in design changes . That's ok, for awhile.  The inevitable leaks make zero difference to a molded interior hull. I've seen devastating evidence of leaks in other brands, fiberglass hull, and stick built.

I'm perfectly happy with the choice we made , over 13 years ago .

But a girl can dream, right?

• Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I would like to see better design of the fresh water tank.  I'm not a fan of the 'boondocking pump valve changing lifting mattress thing' nor the fact that I can't access all of the fresh water available.  (I think I read about a mod to spin weld an access port with a special tube but I'm not sure how to do that myself)   Why take a simple concept and make it more complicated?  KISS principal I say.  I just want to pour or siphon the water into the tank and call it a day.

• Like 1

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"

13 hours ago, csevel said:

I would like to see better design of the fresh water tank.  I'm not a fan of the 'boondocking pump valve changing lifting mattress thing' nor the fact that I can't access all of the fresh water available.  (I think I read about a mod to spin weld an access port with a special tube but I'm not sure how to do that myself)   Why take a simple concept and make it more complicated?  KISS principal I say.  I just want to pour or siphon the water into the tank and call it a day.

The factory will do that fresh water pickup mod at no charge I think, to allow you to use about 28 gallons of water. The factory installation was indeed an exceedingly stupid design that affects early hulls like mine (218), the pump would cavitate (suck air) with about 12 gallons remaining! The spin welding can be done by anybody with a high speed (20,000 rpm) router but the spin weld tool and fittings are prohibitively expensive for a single use.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2261-how-to-fresh-water-tank-suction-tube-mod-no-spin-welding-required/

Whether or not you can do it that way is your decision…. Mine has been trouble free for five seasons. The pump does tend to get air in it if towing with a low tank level, not a big deal IMHO. I think this is unavoidable with any “suck from the top” design…. The tank volume  is fine for most people once the entire capacity can be used, and you would rarely need to go under the bed unless you boondock often away from a water source.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

The factory will do that fresh water pickup mod at no charge I think, to allow you to use about 28 gallons of water. The factory installation was indeed an exceedingly stupid design that affects early hulls like mine (218), the pump would cavitate (suck air) with about 12 gallons remaining! The spin welding can be done by anybody with a high speed (20,000 rpm) router but the spin weld tool and fittings are prohibitively expensive for a single use.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2261-how-to-fresh-water-tank-suction-tube-mod-no-spin-welding-required/

Whether or not you can do it that way is your decision…. Mine has been trouble free for five seasons. The pump does tend to get air in it if towing with a low tank level, not a big deal IMHO. I think this is unavoidable with any “suck from the top” design…. The tank volume  is fine for most people once the entire capacity can be used, and you would rarely need to go under the bed unless you boondock often away from a water source.

John Davies

Spokane WA

I primarily boondock...partly cuz nowadays, it's so busy, you have to!  I am prohibitively far from the factory for this mod even if it's offered free.  I can adjust to 20 gallons or so as I had only 15 in my Casita.  Just seems a waste of space and a poor design especially because now I have a tank monitor that is also essentially useless.  KISS principal was lost here.  I'm not complaining really...ILOVHER but this is something I'll have to mod eventually.

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"

• Moderators

I believe that it was a former Ollie owner that came up with the spin welding idea in the first place - Raspy.  And, if it was him and if he still has the tools to do the job I know that he is located in the western part of the country.  You might want to send him a private message (PM) in this regard.  I'm certain that he would be willing to help you if he can.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

One easy addition I would like to see is a water pump switch in the outdoor shower cabinet so I can wash my hands after dumping. Now, I have to go back in the trailer to turn on the water pump. 

• Like 1

ALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMSMONENHNJNY

2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. LE2 hull# 344.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, KeysConchs said:

One easy addition I would like to see is a water pump switch in the outdoor shower cabinet so I can wash my hands after dumping. Now, I have to go back in the trailer to turn on the water pump. 

That's interesting.  My 2008 has a switch in the outdoor shower.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Changes and improvements will come with increased costs.  I think that they should start with the "weakest link" when it comes to improvements.  Have those increased costs go toward better outsourced components.  Oliver is kind of at the mercy of what is available to them for windows, doors, and other common components.  Being a relatively small player in the market, they have to settle with what is "good enough for Thor" because that is what is available and they don't have the influence to get them to improve their products.  I would like them to explore the possibility of getting better products from Europe or Australia.  They have some pretty good stuff.  Australia builds some pretty impressive caravans.

If you want to improve a finely built watch who's weakness is a polycarbonate crystal, change it to sapphire.  Not rocket science.

• Like 2

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

After three years - here is my list of improvements:

Turn the grease fittings inward - 

Make the rubber mat in the storage cubicle all one piece - no joint.

Put a modern AC on the roof. Less than 60 dBs, 15 amp current  draw - at 105 degrees outside temps.  

Relocate dump valves so you don't need to open the hatch to drain tanks.

My Dometic fridge - I hated at first - I have come to like it - it works fine- and is versatile - it has performed well. 

The AGM solar set up was very well designed - for the cost. It works well for us. I have yet to understand the move to LI - given the current level of technology, user friendliness, and cost.  Not knocking it - just don't see the end result adding up. 

But then mine was a 2018 - I'm guessing the newer models leave more to be desired............

Making things  larger, longer, bigger - well - its not an EII then,  Its a larger unit - probably approaching the upper limits of most 1/2 ton and the like TV's -Or finding a more flexible WDH. Double Hull fiberglass is heavy - add a few feet length .... add a little height,  a little width. 40 gallon H20 is how many pounds, then the other tanks  need to be enlarged, Well heck, the LI's are much less weight, so there. 

Other than some issues that were build related -our Oliver was a very good TT. 

RB

• Like 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, LongStride said:

I would like them to explore the possibility of getting better products from Europe or Australia.  They have some pretty good stuff

As more Americans demand better ac, etc., it will change, maybe even for Thor, too. 

The problem for a manufacturer whose trailer goes all over the country is servicing those more exotic units,  and even sourcing them in the first place, reliably.

Winnebago is using some interesting systems in their van campers. They're certainly not as big as Thor, but they've got a decent market share. (They use lithionics in some of their vans, and the new Coleman ndq ac, much more quiet. I  think they also offer a hydronic heat system in some products. ) Forward thinking companies like Winnebago will help drive the service centers to stock those parts, too .

When we installed the Houghton ac/recpro, I just crossed my fingers that we'd be able to get parts and service in the future. We'll see. We can take that chance as individuals.  A manufacturer can't. 

The new generation of campers likes small, and quality. I think consumers will, indeed, drive the demand for the sapphire crystal. 

And, Olivers.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

On 6/18/2021 at 8:44 PM, Airedales said:

3916507A-5A48-4302-8294-42C8139B0969.thumb.jpeg.df930c37adc26ef27c0bc01ec188dce8.jpeg

These Polycarbonate windows Please…….

The negative side of acrylic/polycarbonate windows is scratching.  A real possibility in the massive wind/dust storm we endured for three days recently in Utah 

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

I would like to think so SeaDawg.   Haven't seen much indication yet that high quality is beginning to drive the market.  Perhaps it will.  I hope so.  We live the next county over from Elkhart.  They are pumping out SOB's like there is no tomorrow and are offering $20 an hour to anyone who can use a nail gun.  Lived here all my life except when I was in the service, and I've never seen them advertise for help via television commercials before.  

Hop on any highway in northern Indiana and you will see them in packs heading out for delivery.  They are all over the place.  As long as they are selling a high volume of their product at a profit, there is nothing to incite them to improve their quality.  Their business model is working for them.

Now that I have finished my rant, let me add...  Although the quality of stickies is not comparable to an Oliver, they cost considerably less.  I for one, consider myself fortunate that I can afford an Oliver.  Not everyone can.  If all I could afford was something pumped out for the masses, I would have one; and I would be camping rather than sitting in my living room wishing I was out exploring.  We all have to live within our means.  

• Like 1

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Ray and Susan Huff said:

The negative side of acrylic/polycarbonate windows is scratching.  A real possibility in the massive wind/dust storm we endured for three days recently in Utah 

Not just windstorm, but branches, etc. And, sun eventually crazed them. 

They look great, new. We had a few polycarbonate ports on our boat. Had 8ssues with crazing, and leaks.  Have since replaced all of them with glass, years ago. No more problems. 

I looked into polycarbonate when we debated new windows vs removing our fogged 2008 hehr dual pane windows, and having them evacuated, cleaned, and resealed between the panes, and reinstalled. 

The repaired windows look great, don't fog, don't leak, and I'm very happy. Not to mention,  half the price or better than new windows. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, LongStride said:

Hop on any highway in northern Indiana and you will see them in packs heading out for delivery.  

I've been in those packs. We've delivered a number of rvs to Alaska, from Elkhart. I, too, feel fortunate that we could afford the investment in our Oliver. Especially after driving thousands of miles with the noise and drafts of the Thor and Forest River products . I carry a pack of foam pipe insulation cutoffs and tape, every time .

Winnebago is in Iowa. Though they also build some class c units sort of comparable to Elkhart,  their van products are far superior, imo. Like Oliver, that part of their business is smaller. But better . Vanlife people have demanded better, and they're (eventually) getting it.

There have been a number of campers coming over from Australia,too. 

Things will change, eventually,  when people are willing to pay for a more quiet and efficient ac, quiet and efficient furnace, water heaters like the Truma. And, longevity. 

Our daughter is a millennial.  She saves up for quality. Thinks smaller rather than bigger might just be better. Quality vs disposable.  I think her generation will demand better. I hope so.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4