Two Years Of Ownership - Suggestions/Ideas For The Existing Elite II And For A Future Elite II2/Elite III

AndrewK

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, KeysConchs said:

Nope. Not mine unless it is buried in the basemen.

It's interesting to see what changes are made over the years. Not really sure why that would be eliminated.  Somewhat defeats the purpose of "outdoor" shower,  when you must go inside?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

SeaDog,

I have a pump switch in the bathroom and another on the kitchen switch panel.  Do you have two or three switches?  An external pump switch near the Boondocking port would be more desirable to me. 
I keep a spray bottle in the basement with a bleach solution in it to disinfect the community equipment at the dump station.  So the dump water hose and handle are reasonably clean when I rinse my hands after I remove and dispose my latex gloves.  I try very hard to not transfer anything from my black tank to anything on the trailer or my tow vehicle.  And after of 15 months of COVID-19 precautions, disinfectant wipes are always available in the truck.

Let's go Lightning,

Mossey

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

@mossemi we have a switch in the kitchen, and one at the outside shower.  Since we have an original elite, you can "almost" reach the kitchen switch from the shower 😄, though some early owners added one in the bath, as well. We didn't, so two switches.

The main switch, in the panel by the door, turns both of them off, of course.

Since we almost never use city water,, any time we leave the trailer, I  turn off the main switch at the door. (As those who camp with city water, turn off the faucet at the site before leaving for the day), just in case of a leak or burst pipe.

And yes, I  used to keep a small bottle of hand sanitizer and a packet of wipes in the cab. Now, it's a quart pump sanitizer bottle in front, and a full sized canister of wipes, front and back .

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

@mossemi and @SeaDawg

Right now we are on our 6-week tour of the midwest and east I can't tell you how many people I have seen rinsing their blackwater tanks from the drinking water spigots. I definitely sanitize, filter, and purify our fill water...and avoid drinking it directly from the fw tank ... even after sanitizing the fw tank prior to lift off. 

Not having the switch at the outdoor shower is not too big a deal since I usually am inside right before taking a shower But when dumping, everything is always shut up tight and off and there is no need to go inside...except to turn on the water pump. An inconvenience for me and the people waiting behind me at the dump station.

• Sad 1

ALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMSMONENHNJNY

2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. LE2 hull# 344.

45 minutes ago, KeysConchs said:

I can't tell you how many people I have seen rinsing their blackwater tanks from the drinking water spigots.

Fortunately I rarely use dump stations and when do, I try to time it so nobody else is around. I never ever top up my fresh water there. That is so very gross. People are such idiots.

Our first night in “Mouse” was at the local RV park outside of Howenwald, I can’t recall the name at the moment, and the fresh water tap was buried under ground in the same nasty hole as the sewer connection 😳 That got my attention. I did not connect either hose that night. Are there not building codes there?

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

4 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Our first night in “Mouse” was at the local RV park outside of Howenwald, I can’t recall the name at the moment, and the fresh water tap was buried under ground in the same nasty hole as the sewer connection 😳 That got my attention. I did not connect either hose that night. Are there not building codes there?

John Davies

Spokane WA

The name of the campground is "Fall Hollow", we were there the same night, you pulled in next to us.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

• Moderators
4 hours ago, KeysConchs said:

Right now we are on our 6-week tour of the midwest and east I can't tell you how many people I have seen rinsing their blackwater tanks from the drinking water spigots

I just don't get it, either.

🤢

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

20 minutes ago, Maverick said:

The name of the campground is "Fall Hollow", we were there the same night, you pulled in next to us.

I recall seeing you but it took your comment to bring that back. I was pretty dazed after a vey late afternoon delivery and highway construction that had a major detour through twisty back roads…..

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

We are scheduled to pick up our 2021 LE2 on September 16th. Does anyone know if the factory has made the fresh water tank pickup modification standard, or would we have to request it? Since we live on the west coast, I want to get as many mods done while in Hohenwald.

• Like 1

2021 Legacy Elite 2 Twin Bed | Hull Number 894 (9/16/21 delivery) | Ram 1500 Longhorn 4x4 3.0L EcoDiesel 3.92 axleAZARCAIDMTNVNMORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Fargoman said:

Does anyone know if the factory has made the fresh water tank pickup modification standard

It has been "standard" for some years now.  

Relax and enjoy your delivery!

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

No problem.  At some point it will be you that is telling tales from way back when.

That whole water tank pick-up story is just another instance where Ollie owners were not "over joyed" by the fact that the original design of the pick-up prohibited the usage of several gallons of water that were still in the tank.  Then, an owner (Raspy) (much brighter than I am) came up with a new design that could also be retro-fitted as long as you had the correct tools.  The Oliver Company saw the merit in the design, implemented it for all new campers and offered to retro-fit all existing campers - free.  Just another example of this company going the extra mile.  They also formally recognized the originator of the idea at the next Owner's Rally which also showed real "class" on their part.

KeysConchs

remember talking with ScubaRx a couple of years ago about installing a switch near the basement door for the water pump but it is still on my "todo" list.  While not terribly difficult, if there is a person to discuss this with it certainly is him - the interior of his Oliver looks more like an airplane cockpit than it does a camper, Steve's got switches for switches in there!😇

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

14 hours ago, topgun2 said:

No problem.  At some point it will be you that is telling tales from way back when.

That whole water tank pick-up story is just another instance where Ollie owners were not "over joyed" by the fact that the original design of the pick-up prohibited the usage of several gallons of water that were still in the tank.  Then, an owner (Raspy) (much brighter than I am) came up with a new design that could also be retro-fitted as long as you had the correct tools.  The Oliver Company saw the merit in the design, implemented it for all new campers and offered to retro-fit all existing campers - free.  Just another example of this company going the extra mile.  They also formally recognized the originator of the idea at the next Owner's Rally which also showed real "class" on their part.

KeysConchs

remember talking with ScubaRx a couple of years ago about installing a switch near the basement door for the water pump but it is still on my "todo" list.  While not terribly difficult, if there is a person to discuss this with it certainly is him - the interior of his Oliver looks more like an airplane cockpit than it does a camper, Steve's got switches for switches in there!😇

Bill

Thanks, Bill. I figured it was straightforward but it will have to wait for retirement (4 months!!!)

ALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMSMONENHNJNY

2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. LE2 hull# 344.

3 hours ago, KeysConchs said:

One other addition I might suggest is adding an on-demand water heater at the shower head so there is no fw waste while waiting for the water to heat up. 

That, or a simple circulation line for the hot water. I think for industrious current owners, one would be fairly easy to retrofit.

One trick I know a few owners use is to keep a small Jerry can or other container in the bath and run the water into it while waiting for it to heat up. Then they use the water for cooking or pump it back into the fresh tank. 

• Moderators

I've seen recirc systems that could possibly work. I'll have to see if I can find a link.

Not sure where another water heater might fit in the bath, but it's a good idea.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Since Oliver is using the Truma Aqua Go already, there is no reason they couldn’t upgrade to the Aqua Go Comfort Plus and add the return hot water piping.

Andrew

• Like 1

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, AndrewK said:

Since Oliver is using the Truma Aqua Go already, there is no reason they couldn’t upgrade to the Aqua Go Comfort Plus and add the return hot water piping.

Andrew

That would be a great upgrade, imo. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

All interesting ideas and thoughts which if most were implemented would likely raise the price point closer to the 100k mark. It appears the newer 2022 models and the new marketing package approach Oliver is using prices a fully optioned Ollie out close to 80k. 😮

We are very happy with Hull #634 and how we optioned it out especially at our price point we agreed upon. It will be interesting to see where Oliver goes with the pricing on trailers beyond 2022. I honestly don’t see a longer Oliver Elite ll being designed and built when the current Ollies are selling out and even back logged with orders on the present design. 

Time will tell.

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

I would definitely like to see the older style absorption refrigerator switched to a newer compressor refrigerator.  Even if in the same slot, it would be larger and certainly a welcome improvement; faster cooling, less susceptible to off-level situations.  They are extremely energy efficient these days.

Also a quieter A/C unit.

Larger Fresh water tank.

Ok to keep the same size trailer.

• Like 1

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Flat world said:

would definitely like to see the older style absorption refrigerator switched to a newer compressor refrigerator.

This may be practical for folks with larger lithium battery banks, or those who typically camp with hookups.

We love our dc compressor fridge, but it alone uses 60 to 70 amp hours each day, in moderate temperatures.  

That's a lot of the useable capacity, in my elite. I'm ok with it,  as we use power for little else than fridge, occasional fan, and a few hours of lights, but not everyone would be. Stickier wicket if you dry camp in the cold, as the furnace fan takes a lot if power .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

3 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Stickier wicket if you dry camp in the cold, as the furnace fan takes a lot if power .

That is the first time I recall seeing the phrase “sticky wicket” here….. I am amused. I use it every now and then, my dad was  a Yorkshireman. And my daughter has whole heartedly adopted many English slang terms, especially stuff from Monty Python. Thanks, that made my day.

If I do ever install a DC compressor fridge I will add an extra 100 amp hour lithium battery to handle the load. I have 200 now, which is plenty for the time being.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1