2022 Toyota Tundra Pro

Patriot

Here is a quick reveal article on the new Tundra…not sure I like the new look at all. More Lexus “SUVish” front end looking. It will be interesting to see how sales go. 

https://apple.news/AW7efCs8QTg-HsE9Rd9IhAg

108D26F7-7703-40E4-BA35-B38D577F6B71.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• The title was changed to 2022 Toyota Tundra Pro

That is pretty gross, but paint the snout to match the body color and it would look less so. I wonder, are those twin intercooler openings? I hope that they are functional, I despise fake air intakes and exhausts. The belt line is too high. The windows look too narrow, sort of like a newer Camaro. The integrated offroad LED light bar is nice.

Oh well. No more Land Cruisers in the USA and now this. If I wreck my LC I will get a Power Wagon.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 hour ago, Patriot said:

Here is a quick reveal article on the new Tundra…not sure I like the new look at all. More Lexus “SUVish” front end looking. It will be interesting to see how sales go. 

https://apple.news/AW7efCs8QTg-HsE9Rd9IhAg

108D26F7-7703-40E4-BA35-B38D577F6B71.png

Looks like one of those storm troopers from Battle Star galactic  Yea you know the movie. Lol

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

1 hour ago, rideandfly said:

Looking forward to seeing the 2022 Tundra. Better fuel economy and more payload. 👍

Bill,

I really do wish it was much more pleasing to the eye. I think the engineers really could have done much better. From what I have read it’s bumped up to 472 whopping pounds of torque🙄. I was really surprised at its front end appearance…maybe it will grow on folks. It will be interesting to see how they sell. 
-David

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

I personally do not care for the looks at all.  Not for me.  Glad that I bought a 2020 before they started making big changes.  I wouldn't mind getting better mileage but not at the cost of doing away with the proven 5.7 V8.  

• Like 1

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Landrover said:

07E377C1-C6D9-4A72-8388-E5652D220DA8.jpeg

It truly does!

Yikes. I'll be thinking of your post every time I see a Tundra next year. 

They've taken what, eight or ten years to develop a redesign, and this is it?

Then again, I  don't care for the Lexus grill or most of the Toyota car grilles either.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

3 hours ago, mtkadan said:

looks like a diamondback cover..?...how did you like it??

Yep, it's a Diamondback. Like the construction, durability, locking system, and everything stayed dry. The Diamondback system was not too heavy, helping out with payload, too. The aluminum finished Diamondback looked OK with the Tundra's chrome look grill, too.

i-nnJMMJp-L.jpg

Bill #75 LE2

Well the Toyota truck will probably be a well built truck but boy it has taken them forever to do an update so will this one go another 10 years before changes are made.  Visually this truck is unappealing with its massive front grill that has no function except to limit front-end visibility.  Look at the competition with their massive front ends that add no purpose except to so say "I am a real bad ass".  Design and function should go hand in hand.  Toyota though will probably have a good dependable unit. Too bad they couldn't be a little more creative and bold in the sheet metal design area.  Just some of the same looking stuff.

It simply comes down to what appeals to the majority of the market.  The current design trends in the USA seem to lean toward the "bigger, badder, better" theory.  It is not for me but it appeals to plenty of other folks out there.  Many of them seldom even use trucks (especially off-road models) for what they were designed for.  They just want a truck that looks tough, even if it is  just to pick up a bag of potting soil from Lowes.  That is who Toyota is trying to appeal to, and in fact it may be just what they have to do to compete.  

In addition to my 2020 Tundra, I also own a 2013 Nissan Xterra Pro 4X.  It is my "toy" and has less than 30,000 miles on it.  It is a highly capable off-roader and will go anywhere a stock Jeep Wrangler will yet it is still comfortable zipping along at highway speeds.  Auto critics said the same crap about my X that they have said about my Tundra.  "Outdated", "Hasn't changed in years", "Rides like a truck" (are you kidding me? it IS a truck), hard plastic on the interior (which cleans up nicely when dirty/muddy), outdated infotainment system etc.  Rather than slap on fender flares, tow hooks, removable doors, and the like; they just discontinued the model.  Not a big enough market.  Didn't look badass enough.  Didn't have what the majority of the market was looking for.  Sad.

Looks like I have two dinosaurs in my fleet now.  I love them both.  

IMG_3062.jpeg

• Love 1

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

Hopefully the std. models will look different than the TRD Pro model.
Otherwise, this is very disappointing indeed. Toyota's design crew really blew this.
Guess I'll be moving on to the HDPP F150 after all....

Dave 

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter

• Moderators
4 hours ago, LongStride said:

.  That is who Toyota is trying to appeal to, and in fact it may be just what they have to do to compete.  

As I watch moms picking up the kiddos from school in their giant 4x4 SUVs, I wonder to myself how many of them know how to engage 4x4. Or, ever have. Not being sexist here. (After all, I'm a mom, too.) I wonder the same about some of the suits passing me in big 4x4 trucks.

To each his own.

I'm also glad to see some nice new smaller trucks and suvs coming to market. I hope they'll be well received.

We also have two dinos in our fleet. Both well loved.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

8 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

I'm also glad to see some nice new smaller trucks and suvs coming to market. I hope they'll be well received.

After David started this thread, started looking at all 1/2 & 3/4 ton pickup grills, some look OK but some don't look very good including most manufacturers. With all the higher HP power-plants and more stringent EPA requirements , additional areas for cooling is probably needed, too.

When we replaced diesel power-plants on industrial machines with the newest EPA tier engine, we needed more space to accommodate larger radiators and coolers meeting EPA engine's emission requirements. 

Speaking of the newer pickups, my Wife likes smaller pickups for daily drivers. The new 2022 Ford Maverick looks interesting for a daily driver, not so much for towing.

• Like 1

Bill #75 LE2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, rideandfly said:

The new 2022 Ford Maverick looks interesting for a daily driver, not so much for towing.

It looks a lot like the size of my mom's early little ranger, which was a super little truck. Small bed, nice seats, jump seats in back, in hers. My mom is barely five feet, so it was great for her. But, my dad didn't need to duck. I'm really looking forward to the new Maverick,  as an around town hybrid, pull the small boat, go to the garden center kind of little truck .

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, rideandfly said:

When Ford came out with the Original Maverick auto many years ago, it was $1995.

The new 2022 Ford Maverick pickup's base price is $19,995. Coincidence? 

😄😄😄

I remember.  I had an original Maverick.

Well, ground beef was 39 cents a pound, then, too. And gas was 17.9 cents  a gallon when I got my Maverick. Gas war. It was a great little car . Rocked out of snow banks really well. Carried five and luggage many trips, and sometimes drove over  100 miles with change thrown in the "ash tray".

I still wish I had this little car. And my 88 bronco II. 

20210622_211420.jpg

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4