dinette table dilemma

So, short version. I very much disliked the dinette table in our 30ft class A. A life long friend who is a master wood craftsman said we can fix that. A 4 hour drive to a lumber yard (not home depot or lowe's) I was picking out large planks of wood.  5 full weekends of work later produced what you see in the pictures. I love it!  The class A is up for sale and I am keeping the table and the matching pop up table made to go by the door. This is crazy but I'm seriously thinking about cutting it down to be the kitchen dinette table in our 2022 ollie .  So much work and love went into this table! I hate to cut it up but......so the question is: it's a full 1 3/4" thick (I said I bought planks of wood) would it bee to thick? Can someone give me the thickness measurement on the dinette table please?   Thanks!

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

Oliver's table is also 1.75" at the lip, so visually, you'll be fine.  The lip though is about 1.25" to the underside of the table, so yours will sit slightly higher.  The existing leg is 30" from the floor to the top of the mounting plate, so you'll just need to decide if 31.75" is too high for you or not.  I don't recall, but you might be able to cut the leg down.  At least I think the top of the leg is just cut at whatever height and then friction fits into the top mounting plate.  There's about an inch of space between the top of the table and the bottom of the silver trim, so I think you're ok there as well.

Should look nice.

12 minutes ago, Overland said:

Oliver's table is also 1.75" at the lip, so visually, you'll be fine.  The lip though is about 1.25" to the underside of the table, so yours will sit slightly higher.  The existing leg is 30" from the floor to the top of the mounting plate, so you'll just need to decide if 31.75" is too high for you or not.  I don't recall, but you might be able to cut the leg down.  At least I think the top of the leg is just cut at whatever height and then friction fits into the top mounting plate.  There's about an inch of space between the top of the table and the bottom of the silver trim, so I think you're ok there as well.

Should look nice.

Thank you Overland! I think I'm going to give it a go. We did make the leg out of a solid piece of walnut we took of one of the planks so I may just use that. We don't pick up our Ollie until Feb but I'm a planner!

• Moderators

You "could" replace the leg with a marine hydraulic pedestal. That would be cool... and you could maybe find one that would allow you to raise the tabletop to counter height. I use the little table a lot for prep when cooking, and I've thought about putting a hydraulic pedestal on my Christmas list. (Santa gave the Oliver a lot of big gifts the last few years 🤔)

But, you'd have to mount it out a bit away from the wall to clear the shade frame.

Beautiful table. I'd want to keep it, too.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Just curious, how big is the drop down?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

You "could" replace the leg with a marine hydraulic pedestal. That would be cool... and you could maybe find one that would allow you to raise the tabletop to counter height. I use the little table a lot for prep when cooking, and I've thought about putting a hydraulic pedestal on my Christmas list. (Santa gave the Oliver a lot of big gifts the last few years 🤔)

But, you'd have to mount it out a bit away from the wall to clear the shade frame.

SeaDawg, What a great idea! Thank you.

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

I like the idea of the hydraulic pedestal… hadn’t thought of that.. replacing the tabletop is on our list as well, and while I could built one, I’m keeping my eyes peeled for an old wooden tabletop with interesting grain patterns or wood species that I can repurpose.. I think I want to make it a few inches longer than the stock Oliver table.. 

• Like 1

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Kevin and Theresa said:

Sure, the drop down is 16 1/2 by 14 1/2 by 1"   It's going in the Oliver somewhere! 

I think the drop down is lovely, too. I'm going to poke around for a mount that would fold up,, but elevate it above the cushions/bed. There must be something... there's so much out there in the marine world. 

Best of luck. I truly love it when people bring in handmade wood accents, and personalize their trailers.

My dad was a master furniture and wood craftsman. It's in my heritage to appreciate. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

17 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

I think the drop down is lovely, too. I'm going to poke around for a mount that would fold up,, but elevate it above the cushions/bed. There must be something... there's so much out there in the marine world. 

Best of luck. I truly love it when people bring in handmade wood accents, and personalize their trailers.

My dad was a master furniture and wood craftsman. It's in my heritage to appreciate. 

Thank you!  The marine pedestal is definitely the way we will be going for the dinette.  That's another great idea and I will be scouring sites for that fold up as well.  Your knowledge and help is greatly appreciated. 

How lovely for you to have that in your heritage!! I grew up in Vermont - all things maple syrup (lol) and wood. 

A drop down table would not work for me because I use that table constantly when preparing meals, organizing my daily items, etc.  If I had a drop down table it would likely stay up 90% of the time.

"Creativity is the fun of putting together unexpected ideas."  Hazel Edwards

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Nancy K. said:

If I had a drop down table it would likely stay up 90% of the time.

Its OK to call it a "stay up table".

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"