Heat wave - is anybody with lithium batteries planning to bring them inside where it is cool?

16 hours ago, Landrover said:

Sorry folks I have to chuckle about this post,  kinda crazy.  Big tech battery’s  big bucks configure and reconfigure now you have to take out the battery’s because they get too hot? I like my generator better. Camping fun at its best  i guess this is the new enjoyment of camping. I’ll stick with a good book  fishing nice fire and a couple of beers. To technical for me. 🤯😜

I agree . . . . fussing with tech severely impairs the enjoyment we get from camping.  One of our reasons for choosing Lithium was to reduce the time spent on battery maintenance and worrying about SOC.  Now our biggest tech annoyance is keeping our phones charged (and remembering to plug them in). Not a problem when there's no cell reception and we always have the option of turning them off!

Just to clarify: the point I was making, for those deciding between AGM and Lithium options, is that the cost differential between the AGM and Lithium upgrades is less than the $8,500 cost of the Lithium Pro Pkg.  This would be the cost of upgrade from the standard battery configuration.

After monitoring our lithium battery temps during the recent PNW heat wave, I will not be worrying about battery temperature.  If conditions are such that battery life is reduced as a result of excessive heat, it's too warm, for my taste, to be camping 😎

• Like 5

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

13 hours ago, Ray and Susan Huff said:

After monitoring our lithium battery temps during the recent PNW heat wave, I will not be worrying about battery temperature.  If conditions are such that battery life is reduced as a result of excessive heat, it's too warm, for my taste, to be camping 😎

I came to the same conclusion. 

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

On 6/25/2021 at 10:21 AM, Jim and Frances said:

LOL - I already asked this question.  The Lithionics contact is getting with their engineers to better understand this limit.  I guess, shoveling loads of desiccant into the battery compartment is the only way it would work for us with average RH of 85%+ .  As soon as I hear back, I will post.

Concerning the relative humidity...here is the response I received from Lithonics Engineering Manager...

"Our GTX Series batteries are UL tested for humidity penetration per UL157 test methods.   This battery is fully gasketed and sealed and is marine-grade.    It is IP67.  In sum, we can operate in 100 percent humidity conditions."

Guess this is a case of literature not keeping up with engineering?  Regardless, looks like we almost safe here in SE TX, though I am convinced RH is running about 143% at the moment.

Edit - The Lithionics sales person called (👍 good response from manufacturer!), he mentioned that they have many long-term installations of their batteries in military applications literally floating on the sea monitoring for incoming bogies with no humidity failures.  I did not venture to ask any more, as I am sure he would have to kill me - my sec clearance is now a fossilized file 😄

• Thanks 1

SE Texas  | 2021 Elite II  Twin Bed # 927  "Lucy"  |  2019 F250 FX4 6.7