Hitch height for GMC 2500.

Jps190

Pickup time is fast approaching and I need to get a hitch for the Ollie.  The service department is going to swap to the 2 5/16 coupler.  I am towing with a 2021 GMC 2500 AT4.  Unloaded is 23 inches to the top of the receiver.  I put 550 lbs worth of people on the tailgate the other day and it dropped a hair over and inch.  I would prefer to not get an adjustable hitch to avoid any rattling and the Ollie is really all that I will tow.  I am thinking a receiver with a 2 inch rise would put me in the ballpark after adding gear and extras to the truckbed.  What do the experts out there think?

Thanks,

John

John and Kim

2021 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Duramax 11350 GVWR  3048lb Payload

2021 Oliver Elite II.   Hull #887

I think you are right to go with a 2" rise in your scenario.  You want to be at 23.5" to the top of the receiver ball when loaded, so with your test you are at ~22" with 550 lbs of tongue weight.  Better to be 1/2" higher in my opinion since 550 will be on the low end after you load your Ollie II.  Most clock in around 600 lbs of tongue weight when loaded with camping gear according to lots of other threads.  I was a bit low fully loaded, so rather than buy a hitch with more rise, I bought and installed a pair of these on my Silverado 2500: Air Lift 89275 Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Plus.  They allow me to level the truck and Ollie regardless of my tongue weight or TV load.

Cheers,
John

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Jps190 said:

Unloaded is 23 inches to the top of the receiver.

Just so there is NO confusion on this - the 23.5 inches should be to the top of the ball as NCeagle mentions above.

Good luck on your delivery and be prepared for being overloaded with information.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

IMHO, I would seriously review the need for some type of Anti-Sway device! If your TV was a Peterbuilt Semi Truck, my suggestions would be the same. I've seen videos of RV Trailer accident, when the TV was a "Dually Pick Up," but the trailer still Jack Knifed( in Snowy Road conditions) causing an accident. I would suggest that you review the "Reasons why RV Trailers" have accidents in the first place and I think you will realize that no TV is immune to having an accident! We all should better understand the "Top Reasons," for accidents and then focus on them to be safer. My philosophy is, "IF IT CAN HAPPEN IT WILL!,"  and I for one, I don't want to be on the receiving end!

I am sure this will probably set off all kinds of Posts suggesting that you don't need a WDH or an Anti Sway Device with just a big TV. However, I think a comprehensive review of the reasons why RV Trailers have accidents in the first place, might change some minds.  

I’m new around here but IMO the last thing I want to do with a light weight (under 10k) trailer is put more weight on the front axle of a HD truck. This is especially true with an extra 800lb oil burning engine out front.  In Michigan during the winter dually trucks spend half of their time driving sideways…a WDH is not a fix all.