Strongly considering an Ollie, but...

AuthorSP

We've got a 2020 Ford Ranger. It says it can handle 7000 lbs towing, but I am sure that is only under ideal conditions, which you don't get forever. Was thinking of the Elite I instead, but it just seems like it would be too small for extended trips, and I would prefer two axels if pulling such an expensive payload. Looking over the towing forum, it seems no one has any direct knowledge of pulling an Ollie with a Ranger.

I like a lot of what I see on the Ollie, especially that it will last as long as we want it (or so it sounds). Wondering if a camper trailer just isn't within our reach at the moment. Can't justify a bigger truck right now. 😕 

Welcome to the Forum, unfortunately you do not have enough truck for an LE2, though it would probably be acceptable for an LE1, except for really strenuous conditions.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/5653-“frontal-area-considerations”-for-small-tow-vehicles/

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks, John. I suspected that might be the case. I have been pouring over the forums and interwebs, but it's not very clear. Seems like the II would just be too close to the limit. 

So how much smaller does the the I "feel" from the II? It looks like the biggest difference is no pantry and less space in the galley. We really want a TT with a bathroom, but I don't know if I can bring myself to buy a lighter stick built.

Contact Oliver and set up a viewing. It helped us tremendously to see one in person and spend some time with an actual owner. Unless you see the two for yourself your not going to know if the E-I is big enough or if you should wait to get an E-II. 

• Like 1

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #845

• Moderators

The Elite is a few feet shorter than the II, and about 6 inches more narrow. It also has a bit less head height, so if you are taller than 6 ft, or maybe 6'1", you may not enjoy the height.

The bed is smaller, also. 54" wide, like a home full size bed, in our Elite, but a few inches longer than a full. The bed is east/west, so the person on the inside either has to climb over the outside person, or disturb the sleeping partner to get up.

Because the Elite I is more narrow, and shorter, it's more difficult to arrange twin beds. An old floorplan had one across the back, and used the side dinette dropped down to a 24" by 6' long twin, which is small,  unless that person is small in stature.  (For reference, that's about the depth of an average sofa seat, and about the length of an average 84" sofa, without the arms.)

We have found our original Elite to be quite comfortable for several weeks to months at a time. When it moves from city to cramped is in bad weather. 

I'll chime in on advice above: see them both.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

While stoped at a Bass Pro Shop. A couple asked to see my Oliver Elite II  they pulled along side of me. They were towing a TAB 400 boondock addition with  a ford ranger newer model. They were impressed by the Oliver, and I was very impressed with the Tab 400 I believe its mfg by Nu Camp. The tab is a little smaller than Ollie 1 and much lighter but the build quality looked great. This couple was going to look at the Ollie 1 but thought it might be a little to much for there vehicle.  Once they out lived the Tab they would consider a larger TV with The Elite II  just another option to look at,

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

Thanks folks. We visited a couple of Ollie owners this past weekend and saw the I and II. We love the quality and design. The roominess difference was definitely noticeable, especially in being to stand up completely in the bathroom (I'm only 5'10"). The I seems like it would be manageable, and especially much easier to maneuver. More importantly, the price for the I is very steep, just within our means once we add on the things we'd need to really get the use out of it.

Now trying to convince ourselves to lay out that kind of money... 

• Moderators

The cost may be significant, however, when you consider the years of pleasure you will experience, it doesn't seem that significant at all . . .

Here's how my Elite I looks after 13 years.

Wonder Egg shines.jpg

Sunshine over Ollie.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2021 at 8:52 AM, AuthorSP said:

Thanks folks. We visited a couple of Ollie owners this past weekend and saw the I and II. We love the quality and design. The roominess difference was definitely noticeable, especially in being to stand up completely in the bathroom (I'm only 5'10"). The I seems like it would be manageable, and especially much easier to maneuver. More importantly, the price for the I is very steep, just within our means once we add on the things we'd need to really get the use out of it.

Now trying to convince ourselves to lay out that kind of money... 

Normally recovery of some equity from sale of a trailer in the future isn't a good plan, but the resale value of an Oliver does mean you should take it into consideration.

Much depends on your age, expected usage and RV experience, but even selling in five years should get a minimum of 40-50% back.  I'd watch for a used one and have the cash to move quickly, but wouldn't be shy about extending yourself on the purchase, as long as it doesn't put your other financial needs at risk.

• Like 2

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

• Moderators

Our 2008 Oliver doesn't owe us,a dime, after 14 seasons and many miles of use, and I'm sure we could sell it for original purchase price, if we were so inclined. (We're not.)

A big factor is how much you can realistically use your trailer, if you purchase before retirement. 

My sister bought a lightly used rpod a few years ago, but found she and her husband didn't have time to use it. They only lost a bit on the purchase, but that included covid craze price increases, and a really good deal when she bought it. The adventures of two years were "priceless. "

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.