Need new tires for my truck (Tundra) - need help with understanding tire lingo and with getting right tires.

tripmushrv

Thanks bhncb!  I should have said that I ordered the tires, but they are still in transit and not installed.  What tire installers would you recommend I go with so that I get the addendum added?  Or should I just ask whomever I am thinking with going with if they will add the addendum?    

1 hour ago, tripmushrv said:

Thanks bhncb!  I should have said that I ordered the tires, but they are still in transit and not installed.  What tire installers would you recommend I go with so that I get the addendum added?  Or should I just ask whomever I am thinking with going with if they will add the addendum?    

I would recommend that you ask the question of any local installers you have in mind. Their response should be the determining factor in your selection decision. Had you purchased the tires from a big name retailer like Discount Tire, Les Schawb, Costco etal you would not be let out the door without a placard addendum. Independent installers recommended by online sellers may not be as conscientious.

• Like 1

I would not worry about adding some kind of placard, I have never heard of an independent tire store that does that, though a Toyota service department would probably recommend installing one. I have upgraded to LT tires on several vehicles, I just figure out the recommended value for the axle load using the TIRE manufacturer load/ pressure chart, for that size tire, and write it with a sharpie next to the OEM one inside the driver’s door opening. For your half ton Tundra, I suggest that you start with 42 psi all around, Typically you need “about” an extra 10 psi over the stock P rated car tires.

If you want better advice, go to a Tundra forum and see what pressure members are using for that tire size.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks for this discussion-helpful in that we are deciding on new tires for our Toyota Tundra, also. As has tripmushrv, we have been looking at the Michelin LTX A/T2's, and our local tire dealer also suggested Hercules (made by Cooper) Hercules Terra Trac A/2 II as well as the BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2's. The Hercules tires are significantly cheaper than both the Michelin and BFG's. My question is: does anyone care to weigh in on the Coopers and/or the BFG's? I have no experience with either of these tire brands; we usually use Michelins on our vehicles.  Any feedback would be appreciated. 

David 

Kim and David Thompson Nomads' Nest 2018 LE2 #366 2018 Toyota Tundra, 4x4, 5.7L

David, Coopers are great tires, I am a big fan. I know nothing about those Hercules ones, but you should research the Cooper Discoverer AT3 or AT3 4S if you want the winter snowflake. I recently installed a set of the AT3 XLTs on my Land Cruiser and am very pleased, however the soft and cushy ride translates to very poor road feel through the steering wheel. It sticks to curves without a problem but it just doesn’t provide much tactile feedback. Odd but not a big deal on a truck. They do have a 60k warranty. And they look great. These are what I plan to put on “Mouse” when the time comes for new tires.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

I just replaced the BF Goodrich tires on my trailer with the same Coopers that Oliver is now using.  I’m very pleased.  Over on the Ram HD forum many members are huge Cooper fans.  As soon as I get a few more miles on the Goodyears that came on my truck I’m going to replace them with Coopers.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Oliver chose Cooper.

My cousin's son, a bigrig driver, and a smart kid, chose Cooper at for her, and himself. I looked for Cooper, locally, for my Silverado, but found a deal on pirelllis, so I got those.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I replaced the stock Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus (4-ply rated) all-season tires on my 2020 RAM 1500 with Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3 (10-ply rated) all-terrain tires in preparation for towing our LE2. They have a little over 1000 miles on them at this point. The stiffer sidewalls make the steering a bit crisper, but not at the expense of ride quality. I was initially concerned about the more aggressive tread pattern being noisy, but I can't discern any significant difference compared to the original all-season tires.

I've only used Michelin tires on all my vehicles for many years, and was planning to buy 10-ply rated Michelin LTX A/T2's for the RAM, but they have been unavailable for many months, so I took a chance on the Bridgestone, and I'm glad I did.

• Like 1

2021 Legacy Elite 2 Twin Bed | Hull Number 894 (9/16/21 delivery) | Ram 1500 Longhorn 4x4 3.0L EcoDiesel 3.92 axleAZARCAIDMTNVNMORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

On 8/20/2021 at 4:31 PM, Mike and Carol said:

I just replaced the BF Goodrich tires on my trailer with the same Coopers that Oliver is now using.  I’m very pleased.  Over on the Ram HD forum many members are huge Cooper fans.  As soon as I get a few more miles on the Goodyears that came on my truck I’m going to replace them with Coopers.  Mike

I thought you put Cooper all terrains on your trailer, or was that someone else?  Or, is that what Oliver is using now?

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Overland said:

I thought you put Cooper all terrains on your trailer, or was that someone else?  Or, is that what Oliver is using now?

Cooper AT3 XLT.  All terrain but not too aggressive.

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

We had lots of rain the last two months as we went to Maine and back.  The trailer tires did just fine in the rain.  Overall, I’m really happy with them.  Looking at them for my truck, only in something like 35X12.5.  I have 20” wheels now, but am looking at going down to 18”.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Overland said:

That's good to know.  The one I have on my spare is the LT vs the XLT.  Looking a them online, I think the only difference is the added sidewall protection.  I think I'd like that, but I can't find anyone online selling them. 😒

If they are in your area, Discount Tire can order the AT3 XLTs and you probably will not find a better price.

I have not driven in rain yet with mine. But I don’t see why they would not do well.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Sams club might possibly order them for you, depending on your local area. They show them on their website.

My local Costco couldn't order them for me.

Yes, I'd want the better sidewalls of the atx, also.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2021 at 12:35 PM, Mike and Carol said:

Cooper AT3 XLT.  All terrain but not too aggressive.

It looks like they no longer make the XLT in anything smaller than a 31" tire, which I guess is why I can only find the LT in 225/75/16.

Still a good tire, though.  

• Like 2