How much difference between I and II?

AuthorSP

Hi folks, we're looking for a good TT with a bathroom and I really like the Ollie. I don't think I could bring myself to get one of the chintzy stick builts, but we've only got a Ford Ranger to tow with and the 'II' is too close to our 7500 lbs weight limit for comfort. The 'I' might be ok, but it's hard to tell how much of a difference the loss of 5 feet of length and 5 inches of width would make. Has anyone had both versions? Thanks for any help!

• Moderators

I think that whether anyone has had both is a bit unimportant in that it is really up to you to decide.  Take a tour of each one (the Sales staff at Oliver can arrange that for you) and then decide.  I do agree with you that the Ford Ranger is too small to tow the "II" for any distance from both a comfort and safety stance.

Good luck with your search!

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

We have found the smaller Elite to be perfect for us, now in its 14th season. It is shorter, 6 inches or so more narrow, and a few inches less head height. If you're over 6' or 6' 1", you might not be able to stand straight up. My husband is 5'11", I'm barely 5'4", so no issues for us.

The bed is smaller, more like a full size than a queen, and east/west. No pantry. Bath is a bit smaller. Kitchen counter is shorter, so no real counter space,  except the lid of stove if closed, or the space in front of the microwave. 

It's cozy in all seasons, but can feel cramped in inclement weather. But, that's why trailers have wheels... They all live big on the outside.

We have never been tempted to change up to the bigger trailer. We like the size, the weight, the way it follows in the tracks of the truck, and the way it tows. And can legally tow it with every vehicle we own, except the '58 TR3. 

I, too, would encourage you to see both. Neither trailer is for everyone. 

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Thanks, we actually got to see both this past weekend. We think the I would do (if we can let go of that much money...). The guy who showed us the II swears that we wouldn't have a problem towing the II. He said he weighed it fully loaded at just under 5,ooo lbs. But I'd have to try towing one before I'd be comfortable with that, I think. It seems like it is just a much bigger footprint.

Some real numbers on our 2019 Elite II if that helps: 

This is from when we were towing our EII with an F150.

Our EII as weighed below was fully loaded including dual 30G propane, water, 4 AGM Batteries, clothing on board and food and an 60lb box of gear on the tongue.
Our unit has solar panels and the tongue box is used for chocks and tools.
Tongue Wt ib this weight at this stop was 665lbs...( varies from 530-675)  depending upon full water, and junk in the closet and tongue box.

1747996076_ScreenShot2021-06-28at8_07_07AM.png.ed5ec3c047a6e272ada31b7946cd96b2.png

Our 2018 - F150 had a GVWR of 7100 lbs --- and I was towing 60 lbs over GVWR on that particular run.

Ultimately I upgraded to an F350 for towing.

Hull 505 - Galway Girl

• Thanks 1

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

Although towing specs are very important and I do want my tow vehicle to be within them, I personally like more towing specs and power in my tow vehicle then needed. For me it's always been a little overkill and then I'm happy with the results. Not sure what engine you have in your Ranger, but we have camping friends who tow there Elite II with a Tacoma with towing package and a V6 engine. All being said I would not be happy with that combination, the little Tacoma has a hard time over 60 MPH pulling the Elite II at Interstate speeds and can't stay up with me and I'm towing my Elite II at 65-68 MPH, which I don't feel like everyone is running over me. I have no camping friends that have the 19 ft. Elite so I have nothing to compare it to, but I would think the Ranger with a V6 would handle that size trailer ok. Good Luck, just stick within you Ranger towing specs and remember your little V6 can only do so much regardless of the factory specs for towing. If you are looking for a trailer and don't want to spend that much look at the Casita, excellent trailer and retains it's value very will, probably better return on your money then just about any travel trailer out there. Many Oliver owners had a Casita at one time, or another. 

trainman

• Thanks 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• Moderator+
1 hour ago, AuthorSP said:

...The guy who showed us the II swears that we wouldn't have a problem towing the II. He said he weighed it fully loaded at just under 5,ooo lbs...

Please consider this from someone that has towed both models. If you try to to tow an Elite II with that little truck, you WILL have a problem and be disappointed, very disappointed in the towing experience. As John said in another thread, "you do not have enough truck for an LE2". I would say it is doable for the Elite I. Everyone looks at the towing capacity and hardly gives a second look at CCC. Depending on options and trim level, your 2020 Ford Ranger has a maximum CCC of 1560 lbs. Check you driver's side door jam for the actual number. Likely, your occupants and tongue weight will eat up half of that. An Elite II will weigh well over 5000 pounds. Ours weighs 7000.

We personally tow with a 2500 diesel and I have just ordered a 3500 to give us more cargo carrying capacity. 

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

I'll agree, the Elite is a very pricey little trailer. 

Ours has basically paid for itself in 14 years of service and memories, but will you keep yours that long? (We obviously plan on keeping ours much longer!) And, will you use it enough to justify having it? These are questions only you can answer or predict. Ours is normally used at least 3 to 5 months a year. 

A number of Oliver owners had Casitas before. It's a good trailer, one has much the same floorplan as the Elite, but the cost difference is in accessories,  carpeted walls, and lots of wood and particle board inside. A friend of mine has owned one now for over a decade. She's been able to store it inside most of its life, so that helps.

My sister had an Rpod for a few years. Aluminum frame, one piece composite roof. A reasonably priced, easy tow trailer. Again, she was able to store it inside, so that was a big plus for her. They sold it because they were too busy with work to take the ling trips they'd hoped for. They're back to a big tent for weekends, until they can retire.

My husband and I looked at literally over a hundred different trailers before we chose the Oliver. I don't know what you've seen so far, besides the two Oliver models. 

Good luck in your decision.  

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We're looking at 3-7 day trips, at least 5 times per year, mostly boondocking to explore small towns and parks. I'm of a mind that I would rather pay more for reliability, but this is quite a bit more. Another issue around here are critters are notorious for destroying campers. 
Good tips, all, thank you!

2 hours ago, AuthorSP said:

The guy who showed us the II swears that we wouldn't have a problem towing the II. He said he weighed it fully loaded at just under 5,ooo lbs. 

He was trying to make a sale, buyer beware! A fully loaded LE2 is 7000 pounds. The earlier hulls tend to be lighter than current models because they came with more options (less standard equipment) so you might encounter a stripped down one that is lighter than average. But “fully loaded” means “at gross weight” (aka GVWR) - so regardless of the dry weight a fully loaded trailer will always be 7000… it is the payload that varies. Oliver claims the 2022 LE2 is “4900 lbs dry”, but options like four big lead acid batteries, solar panels and the extra awning really stack on the extra weight. My moderately optioned 2017 had an “as delivered” dry weight of 5140. It is very easy to tell by the payload sticker if a seller is trying to blow smoke up your posterior.

319E71B0-439A-4537-976E-8A60EFBACE43.thumb.jpeg.6a67d75abba43aa04063666046a0d60a.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

There is at least one person on here who has pared down the weight of his elite II, so that he's under 5k, loaded his way for camping. 

Pretty sure our trailer is also lighter than originally equipped,  as we've removed microwave and kingdome,  and fridge and ac replacements are much lighter than original equipment.  

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
4 hours ago, AuthorSP said:

Another issue around here are critters are notorious for destroying campers. 

Then I  can see why you are looking specifically at molded fiberglass hulls. Critters can't destroy what they can't access.

There have been a number of threads here about mice, rodents, etc. I've not heard about rodent damage to an Oliver, ever. Screens are important,  though in the fridge, furnace, and water heater vents. Those are the only places I  can think of that they could gain entry.

Young friends of mine discovered their big stick built extensively damaged by rodents last year. Many of those campers do not have a solid bottom, and can invite issues. 

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4