How to remove broken door latch?

Bobfirst

• Moderators

A drill to remove those existing rivets and a reasonably stout rivet gun to replace it.

Bill

p.s.  When I had a problem with mine I happened to be near the Mothership and asked them to take a look at it.  Apparently the Service guys had a little difficulty with it (their rivet gun was not feeling well I suspect) but in the end the repaired catch has not moved.

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

A drill to remove those existing rivets and a reasonably stout rivet gun to replace it.

Bill

p.s.  When I had a problem with mine I happened to be near the Mothership and asked them to take a look at it.  Apparently the Service guys had a little difficulty with it (their rivet gun was not feeling well I suspect) but in the end the repaired catch has not moved.

Thanks 

• Moderators

No problem.

Given that I camp a fair amount in the western Rockies where there can be a bunch of wind, after I had the issue with that latch I made a "holder" for the door.  The picture below shows it in action - it is nothing but a nylon rope with a stainless steel hook attached to a bungie that has a hook on it. The stainless steel hook is attached to the interior door latch handle and the bungie hook is attached to the "latch" for the dog house propane cover.  This arrangement takes the stress off that Oliver door latch and allows me to keep my door open even in the most windy conditions.

Bill

P1000942.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Be sure to use stainless rivets, my guess is this size.

https://www.amazon.com/ISPINNER-50pcs-Stainless-Rivets-12-7mm/dp/B08L3DFT7T/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=3%2F16”+stainless+pop+rivets&qid=1624743406&sr=8-3

It also takes a very stout tool to pull these, your average do it yourself Harbor Freight pop riveter won’t work, and drilling out the old ones may take some patience and lots of swear words because they will try to spin. Stainless is tough to work with, it takes a fresh drill bit and lots of pressure. Be careful not to drill through the inner hull. You might want to have a shop do this if you don’t already have the skills and tools to do it yourself..

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, topgun2 said:

P1000942.JPG

That door mat sure looks like a putting green to me.  So I guess you practice putting when the fish aren’t biting.

I think that’s great idea and you know I’m a big fan of multiple uses for items I carry while camping.😆

Mossey

• Wow 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

Mossey - 

You nailed it!

Actually a neighbor was moving and was going to throw that putting green away.  So, I rescued it to make the mat you see and I've been using it for four years now as a door mat.

Bill

• Haha 1