Propane System Pressure

Does anyone know the propane gas pressure that is delivered to the quick disconnects?

Thanks

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

For most RV propane regulators the first stage reduces the pressure to between 10 and 15 psi. The second stage reduces the pressure to 11 water column inches, which is about 0.4 psi.

• Like 1

Jerry & Kathy

2019 LEII Standard #539 + 2019 Tundra Limited 4X4

On 6/29/2021 at 12:59 PM, dewdev said:

Does anyone know the propane gas pressure that is delivered to the quick disconnects?

Thanks

I am curious, why are you asking? Do you have a specific Problem with an LPG appliance (Grill, Fire Pit etc) hooked up to the Quick Disconnect? 

This same question has gone through my mind and I was about to actually measure the pressure, for comparison purposes , when i discover the Hose between the Quick Disconnect and the Fire Pit was under sized, problem solved.

Pat

The pressure at the Oliver quick connects is 11 inches of water column. This is considered low pressure. The pressure out of the 16.4 oz bottles or the 20 lb tanks is high pressure which most of the grills run on.

i.e. grills can not operate on the Oliver low pressure. You can get a hose with the grill connector at one end and the 20 lb tank fitting.

Maine 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, dewdev said:

i.e. grills can not operate on the Oliver low pressure. You can get a hose with the grill connector at one end and the 20 lb tank fitting.

We run our Weber Q1000 and Blackstone off the Oliver quick connects.  If I run them off of a separate 20lb tank I use a hose with a regulator.  Are you saying there are portable grills that don’t need to be regulated?  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

7 hours ago, dewdev said:

Pat

The pressure at the Oliver quick connects is 11 inches of water column. This is considered low pressure. The pressure out of the 16.4 oz bottles or the 20 lb tanks is high pressure which most of the grills run on.

Thanks, I knew there was a pressure difference, but I didn't know how much. This helps explain things! 

My situation involves a Fire Pit. When I hook up the Fire Pit with it's supplied Hose/Regulator to a 20 Lbs Tank, all is great. When I remove the Fire Pits Hose/Regulator and hook directly up to the Quick Disconnects, my Flame is to small. My solution is to install a "Y" connector at the Oliver's Tanks, one Branch going to the Regulated Oliver's Propane System, the other Branch going to the Fire Pit's Hose/Regulator connected by 20 Feet of hose to the Fire Pit so I can place it any where on the Campsite I need.

Currently, our Weber uses 16.4 oz Bottles, but I think I'll convert it to the bigger bottles also.

Mike:

Oliver Service Dept tells me that you can not run a grill when 2 regulators are in-line as they would reduce the pressure to low for good flame.

My grill needs a minimum if 19 inches of water column pressure so I can not use it connected to the Oliver quick disconnect.

I am researching what type of 2 burner grill will work with the quick disconnect, and I am guessing I will likely need to remove the grill's regulator.

Did you remove the Weber Q1000 and Blackstone's regulators from the grills when connecting the hose to the quick disconnect?

Thanks

Maine 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, dewdev said:

Mike:

Oliver Service Dept tells me that you can not run a grill when 2 regulators are in-line as they would reduce the pressure to low for good flame.

My grill needs a minimum if 19 inches of water column pressure so I can not use it connected to the Oliver quick disconnect.

I am researching what type of 2 burner grill will work with the quick disconnect, and I am guessing I will likely need to remove the grill's regulator.

Did you remove the Weber Q1000 and Blackstone's regulators from the grills when connecting the hose to the quick disconnect?

Thanks

I’ve never tried to run either grill on 2 regulators.  I took the regulator off of the Weber, it was mounted to the grill.  The regulator on the Blackstone is on the hose.  I have hoses with and without regulators so I can run either off of the tanks on the Oliver or off of a separate 20lb tank that I carry for the fire pit.  If I use the Oliver quick connects I use a hose with no regulator.  If I use the separate tank then I use a hose with a regulator.  This arrangement has worked well for years.  Mike

• Like 2

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 2 weeks later...

This should be a close enough topic:  Has any Oliver owner had to replace the (2) high pressure propane hoses yet?

Whilst camping this week, I opened the propane tank valve and heard a hiss coming out of the 4 year old hose on the primary side (right tank). I promptly closed it and proceeded to shift over to the left tank and did not hear anything and got the green indicator for a full tank. It Seemed OK and went on a recovered the tanks with the fiberglass lid.

Later, My wife, who has an acute sense of smell, caught the non mistakable odor of propane. Immediately closed the left tank and examined both hoses and they were severely cracked and obviously leaking. We did then enjoy camping sans propane via campfire.

Now I am looking at the etrailer website for appropriate hoses and wondering if anyone else has experienced this and is there a better replacement?

etrailer_hose_for_Propane.PNG

Edited by skalywag
added picture of possible replacement
  • Thanks 1
Legacy Elite I

ALCTDEFLGAKYMEMDMANHNJNYNCPARISCTNVTVAWV

• Moderators

I’d be interested in any recommendations for replacement hoses, too.  Ours are over 5 years old, looked okay when we started this trip but will go check them as soon as the rain stops!  Mike

• Like 1

I just reinstalled a bottle and checked my hoses, one is leaking at the crimp. They are going on five years old and are rock hard. This is the part, shipping is expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PM95NEM/?coliid=I20IDOXDDJULOK&colid=1X5H11EH41351&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I found an eBay source and ordered two for $40 delivered. I would not buy a steel braided one for a couple of reasons. You cannot inspect the rubber to see if it is deteriorating, and no name brands are more likely to fail, with poor quality construction and materials. There is no reason to buy a steel braided hose unless it is to reduce chafing.

I also ordered a couple of brass 1/4” pipe thread “street elbows”, I am going to install them between the regulator body and the small internal check valve fitting that the hose connects to, to give a better angle at that connection. The OEM setup puts a severe strain on the hose because it has to twist sharply. 

Edit, still waiting on new hoses, but I went ahead and installed the 90 degree elbows. Here is a shot showing the OEM setup and the modified setup. The latter lets the hose lie naturally without that horrible tight reverse bend. It also gives a little extra clearance for removing the  bottle.

A05EA46B-39CE-4EBF-AB8F-CAADBE0EFD09.thumb.jpeg.b77ea83af2aa5a9f797f39b85e92137b.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I just finished replacing those (2) high pressure hoses using those recommended by etrailer per my previous post. They seem to be much more robust and hopefully more immune to the elements.

The OEM hoses were severely cracked as seen in the rather poor photo below. The next photo shows the replacement hoses. One tip should you need to replace these is to use PTFE type thread sealer (like OATEY'S) on the pipe threads.

DSCN3741[1].JPG

DSCN3742[1].JPG

• Like 1
Legacy Elite I

ALCTDEFLGAKYMEMDMANHNJNYNCPARISCTNVTVAWV

On 7/4/2021 at 2:50 PM, Mike and Carol said:

I’ve never tried to run either grill on 2 regulators.  I took the regulator off of the Weber, it was mounted to the grill.  The regulator on the Blackstone is on the hose.  I have hoses with and without regulators so I can run either off of the tanks on the Oliver or off of a separate 20lb tank that I carry for the fire pit.  If I use the Oliver quick connects I use a hose with no regulator.  If I use the separate tank then I use a hose with a regulator.  This arrangement has worked well for years.  Mike

Mike... We ordered our Oliver with the two 30lb propane tanks and the two exterior propane quick connects.   I anticipated using this in the same arrangement they had in the display room at Oliver... with one fire bowl hooked up outside and one grill.    I'm understanding (from these posts) that the Oliver propane "quick connects" require a  non regulated hose coming from Oliver to Weber Grill (we have Q1200).   I believe I've found the kit (Torjik) that requires the Weber regulator to come off and thus be hooked directly to the Oliver (now with only one regulator in line). 

I also confirmed that my Outlander gas fire bowl has a regulator as a sub-assembly of the hose itself.   Is there a quick connect hose assembly without the regulator that I can also plug directly into the Oliver quick connect... and is that set up satisfactory?  I guess this is coming from the fact that you sometimes use a separate 20Lb propane bottle that I was hoping not to need to bring along, especially with my two 30Lb bottles.

• Like 1

2022 Elite II, Hull #1097  Elli Rose 🌹 and she has the solar panels with the 390Ah lithium batteries.  Our tow vehicle is a 2019 Ford Lariat F-150 4wd, 3.5L Eco-boost, 3.55 rear end, with the Max tow package.  Elli Rose also has the street side awning and several walnut and cherry mods on the inside.

TravelMap.png.b89ef2d7bc27b1ea3b58f831ca5bd799.png

6 hours ago, mccrusn said:

Mike... We ordered our Oliver with the two 30lb propane tanks and the two exterior propane quick connects.   I anticipated using this in the same arrangement they had in the display room at Oliver... with one fire bowl hooked up outside and one grill.    I'm understanding (from these posts) that the Oliver propane "quick connects" require a  non regulated hose coming from Oliver to Weber Grill (we have Q1200).   I believe I've found the kit (Torjik) that requires the Weber regulator to come off and thus be hooked directly to the Oliver (now with only one regulator in line). 

I also confirmed that my Outlander gas fire bowl has a regulator as a sub-assembly of the hose itself.   Is there a quick connect hose assembly without the regulator that I can also plug directly into the Oliver quick connect... and is that set up satisfactory?  I guess this is coming from the fact that you sometimes use a separate 20Lb propane bottle that I was hoping not to need to bring along, especially with my two 30Lb bottles.

Hi mccrusn,

My experience with the regulator on the Oliver is this; I run a Napolean TRAVELQ 285X BBQ.  It came with an onboard regulator, but I got very poor performance due to the second regulator on the grill and could not grill!  What I found is, I needed to remove the regulator on the grill and run a straight hose to my grill.  

I was able to find the right one at Camping World as shown here:  https://www.campingworld.com/coleman-road-trip-conversion-kit-with-female-quick-disconnect-me66cp-115951.html#q=quick%2Bdisconnect%2Bhose&lang=default&start=2&cgid=maintain-your-rv%2Fpropane%2Fpropane-hoses-adapters 

After this modification, I can now run my BBQ no problem and get temps 400+ deg.

You ONLY need the regulator on the Oliver, no others.  Regulators are designed to allow a specific flow rate, adding another regulator will cause poor performance and not give you the desired flow you need.

As you stated with your 20LB tank, you should be fine with the reg on that hose.

I hope this helps!

NR

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Las Vegas, NV | 2020 LE II #612 | 2020 Ford F-150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost Max Tow

spacer.png

• Moderators
9 hours ago, mccrusn said:

We also have the 30lb propane tanks.  The quick connects are regulated.  If you hood a grill or fire pit to the quick connects they should not have their own regulator.  We usually use our Outlander in the Clam which is a little distance from the trailer so we use a separate 20lb tank for that.  I have yet to connect it directly to the Oliver quick connect.  I haven’t tried removing the propane hose from the Outlander, if it comes off all you need is a hose with a quick connect to attach to the Oliver and to the fire pit.  I took the regulator off the Weber Q and use a non-regulated hose for it.  But, I also have a regulated hose so I can move the Weber away from the trailer and use the 20lb tank.  Some campsites are better with that arrangement.  Same with the Blackstone.  Check Amazon, if they don’t have what you’re looking for then Propane Guys will have it.  Mike

• Thanks 2

Mike:

I have a Weber Q1200. When you removed the regulator off the Weber Q what type of connection was left? i.e. What was the fitting at the end of the non-regulator hose that connected to the Weber?

Richard

Maine 

• Moderators

If I remember it was just a threaded rod.  I got a conversion kit specifically for the Weber Q either off Amazon or from Propane guys that had the few parts needed to put the quick connect on.  It took about 10 minutes working slow.  I’ve got some pictures somewhere - I’ll see if I can locate them.  Mike

MB Sturgis sells a kit with all the parts and a video of the retrofit for the Q series is here:

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg