maybe an Oliver over my Airstream?

mjwcubed5

Hi - first post as I learn more about the Oliver trailers. I'm an Aistream fan - and have had a few. Recently I started reading about the Olivers and really interested. Any other converts that might help me see their reasons to change? I'm truly looking at potenially a used one, but know you wait - so thinking more about selling my 2020 Airstream Globetrotter 25 ft twin. Again, looking for others that made the change:-)? thx, MJ

• Moderators

Welcome to the forum. 

There are a number of members who have made the change, and a number (including us) who looked at Airstream and decided on Oliver.

Have you seen an Oliver II? It's all about seeing, touching, and imagining myself in the space, for me.

Good luck in your decision.  My only comment will be this-- our Oliver survived a major hailstorm storm , with no dings or dents. That day, I was extra glad for our decision. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Welcome MJ.  You’ve come to the right place to find out about Olivers.  Olivers are built better but don’t have the interior “bling” that an AS does.  We have some former AS owners so maybe they will chime in.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Before placing my order on a Legacy II I seriously looked at a new AS Bambi 22FB. It too is narrower than most trailers, the overall length I desired and I could stand up inside. Base pricing was about the same (2020) and I liked the layout. Upon further research though I chose Oliver for hull strength, construction quality,  insulation, higher ground clearance and payload (dual axle vs. single).  

AS certainly does have a interior design wow factor but so too does Ikea.  Thor ownership was also a negative.

Best wishes in your search for the right trailer  

• Like 1

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

We had been looking at Airstream Globetrotter 23 ft twin.  We were very serious about Airstream.  Our barn was constructed to be able to hold an Airstream up to 28ft.  We chose the Oliver Elite II twin for a number of reasons. There were areas and some features where we felt the Ollie was superior.   We are very happy with the Ollie we purchased new.  There were a few items where we feel we compromised: wet bath, true oven, and some light through the windows.  We are also boaters so the fiberglass interior and the ease of care were big plusses.  We were new to camping in a travel trailer.  For me the thought of denting (by any means) the $107k asking price Airstream was too much.  I didn't see too many used Airstreams without some sort of exterior damage.  I was willing to pay for the new Airstream.   We looked at a couple of Ollies in person before making our decision.  We also toured the factory.  We like our Ollie very much.  For us it was the right decision.  The items I thought were going to be a compromise haven't turned out to be big issues.  Definitely go see an Ollie before you make a decision.  Good luck!  

• Like 1

We looked at the Airstream Nest (a piece of crap, now discontinued by Airstream), the Airstream Bambi and Basecamp as well, and other brands like the Little Guy and RPod.  Once we saw the Oliver and toured the factory it was an easy decision to go with our Elite II.   The fiberglass exterior and interior, the massive aluminum frame and the overall design and features were the deciding factors.  Zero regrets. 

• Like 1

AS have plywood floors that can eventually rot. The quality of AS is not what it used to be. AS's solar package capacities are small, Oliver's quality....and all of the above comments, for me, made it a easy decision to go with a Oliver.

• Like 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

On 7/2/2021 at 7:35 PM, dewdev said:

AS have plywood floors that can eventually rot. The quality of AS is not what it used to be. AS's solar package capacities are small, Oliver's quality....and all of the above comments, for me, made it a easy decision to go with a Oliver.

About 10 months ago AS switched to a composite flooring.  I'm not defending AS over Oliver at all, just sharing an update.

https://www.airstream.com/blog/composite-flooring-making-improvements-for-traditional-travel-trailers/

• Like 1

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

I'm not defending AS over Oliver at all, just sharing an update.

It’s okay to defend AS or point out updates.  While they have some nice features they are struggling with overall quality and reliability.  Thanks for the flooring update.  Mike

• Like 1

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

We loved our Airstream, a Bambi 16.

We’re outdoor-loving people, so most of our waking hours are spent outside. I just didn’t know Oliver trailers were a thing when we bought the Airstream.  I just accepted  filiform corrosion, leaking or missing rivets, and cold,clammy interior aluminum walls as the status quo.  I knew that hail storms would be catastrophic, that floor rot from undiscovered leaks were something  that some owners were all too aware of, but that’s what insurance is for. So, happily we went, adventuring  in the Bambi.

As we thought about the potential for a tire failure on the single axle Bambi, trips to our Airstream dealer became a thing….and a Globetrotter 23 twin caught our eye. So stylish, twin beds made the small size of the 23 seem so spacious, the safety aspect of double axles, it seemed to have it all. And it did have it all, including  the same inherent concerns and problems of the Bambi, save double axles. So, we didn’t buy one. 

As we were we towing the Bambi to our camping destination, a white fiberglass camper was directly ahead of us….the 3rd. brake light read “Oliver”…a new-to-us name for a camper.  As we followed behind, we noticed it seemed more narrow than the Bambi, with much higher clearance, and double axles.  Those details alone caught our interest. Once we were home from that adventure, I checked out the Oliver web site…and, like they say, you don’t know what you don’t know, ignorance is bliss, all those trite sayings that sprung to mind.

Trouble ensued in remaining satisfied with the Bambi’s shortcomings, for that matter, any Airstream’s shortcomings, for our purpose and needs. This past October, while pulling into Mt. Pisgah campground on the Blue Ridge Parkway, we saw an Elite II in the flesh and the owner graciously allowed us to tour his camper. After we saw it, we decided to sell the Airstream once we got home. I listed it for sale, and sold it the same day it was listed.

We’re in the hurry up & wait mode for delivery of an Elite II twin after taking a factory tour in March.

I know nothing is perfect. I know there is no one size fits all.

At this time, with our current wants and needs, the Oliver will eliminate the concerns we had with Airstream durability and maintenance, while opening up opportunities to literally take trails to new destinations unreachable in an Airstream.

• Like 2

2022 Elite II Twin “Katie” Hull 997

2010 Toyota Sequoia 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Jstone said:

At this time, with our current wants and needs, the Oliver will eliminate the concerns we had with Airstream durability and maintenance, while opening up opportunities to literally take trails to new destinations unreachable in an Airstream.

When we were shopping for a trailer in 2014/15 Airstream was really the only thing we were considering.  There were some posts on AirForums about quality and issues which were concerning.  Then, in one of those threads someone mentioned Oliver.  I did a web search and the rest is history.  Mike

• Like 2

On 7/4/2021 at 7:02 AM, Mike and Carol said:

When we were shopping for a trailer in 2014/15 Airstream was really the only thing we were considering.  There were some posts on AirForums about quality and issues which were concerning.  Then, in one of those threads someone mentioned Oliver.  I did a web search and the rest is history.  Mike

Pretty much our story . . . . . I too was discouraged to read stories of quality control issues - cupboards detaching from the walls, appliances falling out of the cabinet, loose rivets - all the result of negligence on Air Stream's part;  totally unacceptable in a $100K+ trailer.  Since becoming part of the Thor family, Air Stream seems to have become just another mass produced RV; beautiful to behold, but certainly no longer the icon of quality and luxury it was in the past.

We are extremely happy with our Oliver.  Though the Oliver interior does not have the AS feel, it does attract attention for its uniqueness, functionality and easy care.  More importantly it fits our style of camping where an Air Stream does not; we are by no means what you would call "Glampers" and spending time on a high maintenance trailer would take a big chunk out of our quality outdoor time.

Regardless, I still admire those beautiful Air Streams when we meet one on the road.

• Like 2

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Ray and Susan Huff said:

Regardless, I still admire those beautiful Air Streams when we meet one on the road.

I do, too. 

I wish they were made the same as the old days .

My brother's in-laws own two vintage airstrams. Yes, they are often a lot of  work (which often falls on my brother as poppy will be 90 soon), but they are very pretty. 

Someday, after we're gone, vintage Oliver will be as collectible. Imo.

With less work, I suspect. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I have admired the glimmering beauty of Airstreams for many years and ownership of one had long been in my retirement plans.  When the time came to pull the trigger on one, I started research to determine which model would best suit our needs.  I did not even consider looking at other manufacturers because Airstreams have been branded for decades as the pinnacle of quality.  After gawking wide eyed at the AS website, I popped over to their owners forum for a quick look.  Wow.  I was shocked, disheartened, and dismayed.  Page after page of complaints.  There were a lot of disappointed folks on there.  Crestfallen, I continued to wander through the forum until I came across someone who said they wished they had bought an "Oliver" instead.  I immediately went to the Oliver website and I never looked back.

You owe it to yourself to take a look at an Oliver.  The sales staff will be happy to direct you to an owner somewhere reasonably close to your location who will be willing to let you take tour of their unit.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

On 7/4/2021 at 6:54 AM, Jstone said:

I am glad you are excited about your new Ollie, and it will certainly go into tighter campgrounds with less worry about dragging against trees, or against cars in a crowded urban parking lot, or along smooth groomed gravel roads, but I hope that statement was hyperbole, because the LE2 is in no way “trail rated”, in spite of the off-road adventures advertising, which I believe is more than a little deceptive.

The baby Ollie OTH could be a decent off-roader with some inexpensive upgrades…..

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I seriously looked at AS.  I really liked the 23 Twin Globetrotter with the dry bath floor plan.  I have to admit it was temping.  Living in an area where hail is not uncommon the durability of the hull was a real concern.  At the time they still used wooden subfloor which also concerned me. Glad to see they have moved to a composite material.  

At end of day the feedback from current AS about issues and higher price made it a no for me. I still do love how they look though.   

I was nervous about wet bath in the Ollie but after first trip realized how little time you send in bathroom and it was non issue for me.  I think if you had family of 4 a wet bath is harder but for one or two folks super easy to manage. 

Good luck!

• Like 3

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package