Q1200 grill not heating up enough to grill.

I was just reading the previous thread about propane pressure @ quick connect.   

I am new to the Oliver only owned it 2 months.  I just bought a Q1200 grill, same basic grill as the Q1000 except it has little fold out tables.  I bought a Torjik conversion kit for the Q1200. The kit contained all of the needed fittings, an Aluminum disk that connects to the original q1200 regulator support bracket for stabilization of the fitting and a 12' quick disconnect hose.

I am able to light the grill but it has a very small flame and does not  heat up enough to really grill. I could probably heat up a hot dog over an hour.   I tried switching to each of the tanks; no change.  I also tried both the front and rear quick connects. That did not make a difference. 

I am kind of lost where to go from here, beside adding fittings to one tank to use high pressure setup and put the requlator back on.

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

I just crawled under the Oli and from the tanks is a regulator, then a hose to the main copper line that feeds the trailer. from there every thing tees off for all of the appliances as well as the quick connects. So is the pressure the runs the rest of the RV appliances enough to run the Q1200?

• Moderators

You might want to contact torjik. If this replaces the original q regulator, I would think you'd be fine.

We don't have a q, but a number of other people here run them.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Greetings from Washington state! Sorry to hear you are having trouble with the Weber. We picked up hull 836 on June 21st. We purchased a Weber Q2200 for the trip home and I purchased the below conversion kit and a 12’ hose which sounds about like what you did. The grill seems to work pretty much as I would have expected. It does sound like a low pressure problem you are having. Are your fittings installed like the picture below. The fittings replace the regulator. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

TV 2018 F150 3.5 liter eco-boost with max tow package, hull #836 “LC”

• Moderators

When I connect my Weber Q1000 to the quick connects on our Oliver it seems that the flame is low at first but after 5 minutes or so it’s plenty hot enough to grill.  I’ve read where some folks enlarge every tenth hole of the burner to increase the heat.  I haven’t tried that yet.  I’ve use our Weber for 5 years with good results.   Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

3 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

You might want to contact torjik. If this replaces the original q regulator, I would think you'd be fine.

We don't have a q, but a number of other people here run them.

This is the torjik package,  This only real difference is they use a 1/8 pipe nipple about 3 inches long, then they add the quick connect. The blue little disc clamps around the nipple and then attaches to the Weber sheet metal that use to hold the regulator.  It really sturdies up all the fittings when you push the quick connect hose on.    I did get ahold of Torjik, and they said it was most likely caused from poor quality quick connect on the trailer, too long of a pipe run on the trailer, or too low propane pressure in the trailer.   I pointed out to them that the female connector was made by a high quality American company that is suppose to meet specs. and it is 4ft from the tanks.    I has tested the fridge and the stove in the Oli and they seem to work fine.

image.thumb.png.22db2bb3a39ccd6cc37e81feac1230e2.png

image.thumb.png.879936e4fb5937ab066b70932e2d181f.png

• Like 1

Looks like for $10 you could try the parts LCTraveler linked and thus likely isolate the problem a bit. If that helps then there’s something wrong with the Torjik or how you installed it.

Did you try the grill before the conversion (ie with a connection to a regular tank fitting)? If not you could also put the regulator back on and try that to be sure the grill will get the heat you expect if the supply is sufficient

• Like 1

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

• Moderator+

I removed the regular from my Weber Q1200 last year. I added some fittings and bought a hose with a regulator to be able to connect it to a stand alone propane tank. We take this setup along when we travel as well as use it at home. Before I made these modifications, I had the same problems with low temperatures.

Now, strangely I have the exact opposite problem. I can't get it to go below 350 degrees even on the lowest setting. I can easily get it to 600+ degrees on high. Consequently, I'm constantly having to open the lid to cool it down.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has any solutions.

• Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Well, I fixed it sort of.   I decided to take the Q1200 apart.  I removed the orifice, and reamed it out a little, with oxygen/acetylene clean out reamers.  The orifice was a approx.  .032 in and is now around .035" around a 20% area increase.  I put it back on.  No longer tops out at 200 degrees, but now hits 450 degrees, and on low is 350 degrees. 

I think that the real problem was that the orifice was being partially block by something.  I am now running a little hot.  Oops.  I may see if I can find a replacement orifice and go back to the original size.  I can at least grill. 

• Like 1