Contemplating Trip to Waco, TX Aug. 1-9, 2021

The annual leathercraft shows I regularly attend in Sheridan, WY and Prescott, AZ have been canceled for the past 1½ years+ due to COVID-19.  I have been longing to see all my friends from around the world who attend these events, and now the Premier "Heart of Texas Leather Show" is being held in Waco in August.  Why am I mentioning this on the Oliver Forum you may ask?  It is because I have never been to Texas in August, and I am scared to death of the heat!  It would be great to attend the first-ever show in Waco, it is sponsored by the same outfit as the Sheridan and Prescott events, and therefore it will likely be a good one.

Am I CRAZY to be considering camping in Texas in August?  My wife would be going along; however, she does not attend the show events all week like I do.  Therefore, she will be spending a great deal of time in R-Villa.  We actually have already booked a very nice campground with full hookups only 12 miles from the convention center where there show will be held.  

We were pretty hung-ho to go until I looked at WeatherUnderground and saw that the average temps for August were 98 degrees everyday that week.  Of course, it could be much hotter than 98!  

As newer campers, I am simply looking for input from any of you.  Would my wife be OK in the Ollie for a week in that heat?  Of course, we have iPhones to communicate, and I will not be gone all the time.  It is decision time, and we are considering backing out.  

Thank you for any and all suggestions!

2021 Legacy Elite II  Twin Beds   "R-Villa" ~ Hull #803 

2021 GMC Denali HD, 6.6 L Duramax Turbo-Diesel, 10-speed Allison

ALARILINIAKYMNMSMOMTOHSDTNWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

Yes, it’s hot here in August. Also, it’s hot here in July and September. June wasn’t too bad.  If you are at a full hookup site and can run the AC she would be comfortable, but might get cabin fever in that small space for days.  Usually it’s cool enough to sit outside in shade in the morning and evening.  

A great place to stay just south of Waco is Mother Neff State Park.  It’s small but is meticulously maintained with large sites and trees (all FHU).  We’ve stayed there many times.

We’re leaving tomorrow for a long trip and will be camping in north Texas tomorrow night.  It can be done!  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

August is the hottest month in Texas.  I hate August and I live in the Dallas area.    I have no plans to camp near home that time of year.   Typically we have highs at or close to 100 and lows around 80 if lucky.   Have I mentioned I hate August in Texas 🙂

You should be fine in RV with AC running. If you don’t have pets Magnolia is really popular place to visit for the day in Waco.   

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package 

1 hour ago, IL_Travelers said:

The annual leathercraft shows I regularly attend in Sheridan, WY and Prescott, AZ have been canceled for the past 1½ years+ due to COVID-19.  I have been longing to see all my friends from around the world who attend these events, and now the Premier "Heart of Texas Leather Show" is being held in Waco in August.  Why am I mentioning this on the Oliver Forum you may ask?  It is because I have never been to Texas in August, and I am scared to death of the heat!  It would be great to attend the first-ever show in Waco, it is sponsored by the same outfit as the Sheridan and Prescott events, and therefore it will likely be a good one.

Am I CRAZY to be considering camping in Texas in August?  My wife would be going along; however, she does not attend the show events all week like I do.  Therefore, she will be spending a great deal of time in R-Villa.  We actually have already booked a very nice campground with full hookups only 12 miles from the convention center where there show will be held.  

We were pretty hung-ho to go until I looked at WeatherUnderground and saw that the average temps for August were 98 degrees everyday that week.  Of course, it could be much hotter than 98!  

As newer campers, I am simply looking for input from any of you.  Would my wife be OK in the Ollie for a week in that heat?  Of course, we have iPhones to communicate, and I will not be gone all the time.  It is decision time, and we are considering backing out.  

Thank you for any and all suggestions!

I really appreciate the two very fast replies to my submittal.  We feel better knowing R-Villa's AC should keep us cool in the Texas heat.  Now it is just making the final-final decision to go through with it!

Thank you both so much!

• Moderators

We hate camping in Florida in August, and it's not nearly as hot as Texas.

That said, ac is a wonderful thing. Thank you, Mr Carrier. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I love living in Texas.

However, August in Texas is BRUTAL.  That 98f is nothing until you stand in the direct sun…it will bake you.

I bought my Oliver to escape Texas in August….I will be heading to NW Montana for the month.  We had a great spring, bit the heat is back.

Steve R

Jefferson, TX.

• Thanks 1

ARLAPATNTXVAWVsm.jpg

2015 Oliver Elite 2

Hull #106

2019 Ford F-250 Super Duty, 6.7 diesel 

• Moderators

If the leathercraft show is something you would enjoy, I think you would be able to stand the heat for a week.  We spent a week at Big Bend when the temps were in the 100s and also a week at Palo Duro Canyon when the temps were in the 100s and we had a great time.  You’ll sweat a little.  Sit out in the evening in shorts and a T-shirt after grilling then shower before bed and you’ll be fine.  My $.02.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

If you’re wife will have transportation there are some neat places to visit in and near Waco. 

The Silos (Fixer Upper fame) magnolia.com

Homestead Heritage is a really cool self supported community who farm and make everything they need. They have a craft village and tours and she could probably spend an entire day there visiting, shopping, learning and eating. homestead heritage.com

Waco Mammoth National Monument

Waco Suspension Bridge

Texas Rangers Museum (law enforcement not baseball)

Dr Pepper Museum

Spice Village

Those are a few ideas to get her out of the RV and into some air conditioned spots to see and do some things while you are at your convention. Maybe she can drop you off, go out and explore then pick you up at the end of the day. 

Health Camp is a fun burger place to eat as well. 

We’re just an hour from Waco so have visited many times. Enjoy your trip! 

Cindy

• Like 1

Charlie & Cindy / Cleburne, TX / 2021 Elite II Hull #743 / 2013 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD Supercab

States we've camped in our Oliver:

ALAZLANMTNTXUTsm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:  We bailed out of the Waco, Texas Leather Show in favor of Door County, Wisconsin.  I lucked out on a full hook-up campground there for 7 nights.  We haven't been to Door Co. in years, the temps at night should be in the 60s, and Wisconsin will be a lot quieter than Texas in August under R-Villa's air conditioner!

• Like 1

• Moderators

Door county will be so beautiful,  and likely very pleasant weather. 

Enjoy!

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.