Packing Wheel Bearings, DIY?

angler

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Extremely Important to follow the recommendations by manufacturer. I used to pop the wheels off and use the "bearing buddy" grease zirk to add grease several times each summer. We have had our Oliver Legacy since 2009, I believe. Last fall we were driving it home and stopped for a bite to eat. I walked around the unit and notice a hot metal smell and that the right wheel was leaning in. I jacked it up and found the wheel bearing destroyed. I was less than a mile from an RV dealer/repair shop so we let the axle and bearings cool down the drove slowly and dropped it at their lot. It was a Sunday so no one was there. I called the local police and alerted them about what I was doing and why. I then called the dealer the next morning and told them what had happened. They went ahead and repacked the bearings. Apparenetly, you should not use bearing buddies to add grease on a wheel with electric breaks. Instead, you should remove the wheel and hand pack them. To not follow manufacturer recommendations could have been disasterous.

We took her down to Indy yesterday and the connection to the brakes is not working. It could be somethng they did when they repacked the bearings or it could be an electrical connection. I am going to get that checked. Good luck and be safe!

• Moderators

When I review the video link, here it is, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzW1kK8oWkc they say that the wheel should be up off of the ground and rotating slowly to prevent the defeating of the double grease seal, which would allow grease to get onto the brake shoes. Any one have any experience with this ?

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderator+

Has the axle been swapped from the 3500 lb to the 5200 lb? If so, I have all the part numbers for you.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Thanks ScubaRx but I have not yet changed from 3.5k to 5k. I am talking to Dustin about that very change but if I do it the new axle will already have the bearings in it. In the meanime I removed the other wheel and got numbers off the bearings. The inner bearing is a L68149 and the outer is a L44649. I think I am ok for now but may change the entire axle to a 5k later.

• Moderators

12string,

After loading up The Wonder Egg with supplies and filling up the fresh water tank, I dropped by a weight scale and learned my trailer came in at 3900 lbs. The bearings on my 3500lb axle were not designed for those stresses and indeed, before getting a 5200 lb axle, I had experienced failure of bearings on both sides. You don't want that to happen to you.

I'd have it swapped out as soon as you can and, in the meantime, be careful of your gross weight.

I now have the brakes inspected and the bearings repacked annually, at the beginning of the traveling season.

Pete

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • Moderator+

Good morning Jim and welcome aboard. I spec'd a pair of 5200 pounders for our Outlaw Oliver build (gotta be able to carry all my stuff :roll: ). I took the info from the stickers stuck to the axles and called the manufacturer to get all the particulars. I "think" I remember they are just standard hubs. Now you've got me curious, I'll have to check my notebook of information to see.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Our trailer is 18 months old with about 10,000 miles so yesterday I hauled it to Camping World for a bearing pack.  When I picked up the mechanic asked if I had just had them done because the grease looked new.  That was encouraging.  Better to be safe than sorry.

He also asked me why I have truck tires and not trailer tires because in his opinion truck tires do not have a sufficient bead to hold the tire on the rim during the sharp turns we make in our campers.

Any thoughts on this.  Would like to hear from the factory as to their logic.

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

We talked about having truck tires on the trailer, last year when we were at the factory, and I think it was Dustin, that stated the Oliver's wanted the best, and that was a heavy duty truck tire. I am no expert on tires, but I can't believe with that size tire there would be a problem with "popping a bead" on turns.

Look at some of the wimpy tire you see on campers around camp grounds and I will gladly be happy with what I have on my Oliver. There is a endless tire discussion on the Airstream forum regarding tires and trading tires off new trailers for something better.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

On our previous TT and other trailers we use ST tires. Just installed ST radials on a motorcycle trailer, and have not had any issues with ST radial tires with two 7500 mile TT adventures and many lower mile adventures. ST tires are rated for up to 65MPH.

The Ollie is the first TT we have towed with dual axles equipped with LT tires and it tows/stops great with fuel economy average around 15MPG at 60MPH in TN & NC flat lands and mountains.

Our Ollie came with BF Goodrich Commercial All Season Tires with E load range rating, LT225/75R-16, R speed rating of 106MPH.

http://www.superiortireservice.com/tires/view/174919/bfgoodrich-commercial-t-a-all-season-2-lt225-75r16/

Back to changing tranny fluid in the TV getting ready for the next camping adventure.

LE2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

An inexpensive INFRARED THERMOMETER can let you know if your NEVER LUBE bearings and your NEVER ADJUST brakes are doing their job ! But there is much more to be learned from that quick check at a rest stop. Here is a link to a previously posted article that is still very relevant, even with our Oliver's newest technology:

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/infrared-thermometer-keeping-it-handy/

Here is a look at our axle, spindle, brake shoes, seal and drum after spending nearly three months down on Padre Island, Beach Camping.

70028zp6mq6shsv5ft311lp87jdyum4r.jpg.d66b6e9e664d4d58d3f0be52dd642ea8.jpg

• Thanks 1

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• 3 months later...

Can anyone provide me with replacement part numbers for the necessary bearings and seals for our 2016 Elite II? It has been almost a year since pick-up (Dec 16 2015) and I want to repack the bearings before I leave in January. I would like to have a spare kit (or two) to have on hand, incase I see some damage (or do some damage myself) and also to have available for possible emergency repair on the road. Great info here but would like part numbers if possible.

Thanks

Grayson and Ann Cook

Northwest CT and Mid Coast Maine

2016 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed FP

Toyota Tundra, Extra Cab, Long bed, 5.7 V8

Yippee-i-o-ki-yah

• Moderators

Grayson,

Try "BK2-100" bearing kit from "Trailer Parts Pro" by "Redline".  Kit consists of - 1.719" seal I.D. Bearings: L44649 and L68149 and seal 10-19.  I have a 2016 Oliver Elite II.  I bought two sets of these when I purchased my Oliver in the event I had a breakdown on the road in the middle of nowhere.  I figured that it would be easier to find someone to replace the bearings than to find BOTH the bearings and someone to replace them.  Or, I could do most of it myself on the side of the road if absolutely necessary.

Hope this helps!

Bill

bsy8mr3apzuyyd5kp0u6h5qtk6c53lh4.jpg.b0602e18a2b2e1372c8256379f9ec113.jpg

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Bill,

Thanks for the tip. I ordered two kits from "Redneck" today. Great idea to carry these, especially when traveling in the sparsely populated regions I prefer.

Don

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

• Moderators

Don and Guys,

You're welcome.

With a camper that I owned prior to getting Twist, I "lost" a wheel bearing set in southern Wyoming on a late Saturday afternoon AND a couple of the lugs from the drum.  With no cell phone reception I dashed into the nearest town and found a trailer place that would help me if I brought the wheel and bearings and drum to them.  Dashing back to the camper on the roadside in 100 degree heat I did get the thing apart (amazing how quickly you can do this when you have to) and quickly got back to town.  The owner of the store stayed past normal closing to help and by the time I got back to the camper and got all things put back together it was just about dark.  I've always carried a set of bearings since.

I certainly know that if the bearings on one side of the camper have a problem, it is fairly likely that the other side is not far behind.  But, in carrying enough to repair the one side  I figure that I will be able to get to a place where I can have the other side looked after.  Hopefully I will never have to use the spare set!

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thanks guys, repacked the bearings today. Very nice weather up here in CT. The grease on the outer bearings was still pink. Pretty easy process, with the jack system for assistance. The brakes look like they are about 50%. I plan to carry a spare bearing set and I was wondering if the brake shoes are a shelf item at most auto parts stores.

Grayson and Ann Cook

Northwest CT and Mid Coast Maine

2016 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed FP

Toyota Tundra, Extra Cab, Long bed, 5.7 V8

Yippee-i-o-ki-yah

• 1 month later...

Not a bad idea to have a spare set or two.  But the bearings on trailer axles are extremely reliable and it's unlikely, even with the most basic maintenance, that there will be a failure.  The 3500 lb size is probably the most common trailer bearing there is.  You can certainly change them on the side of the road if needed with a slip joint (water pump) pliers, a large screw driver, a hammer, a long punch, a can of grease and paper towels.  If you get a spare set of bearings, be sure to get a can of grease too.

If one is failing it's important to catch it before it gets really bad.  I recently saw a tandem axle travel trailer with the wheel completely gone.  The axle was ruined because it had been drive to destruction and there was no way to simply replace the bearing.

Best to check them once in a while.  At each fuel stop I touch each hub to look for a warmer one.  Or, of course, if you began to notice one tire wearing funny you could push and pull on the top of the tire to look for play.

I've been pretty lax with my 3500 lbs tandem axle utility trailer and it gets loaded heavily at times.  Had it for many years and never a problem with the bearings.  So, I think with some reasonable maintenance on the Ollie, there will never be a problem.  With a 7,000 lb total axle capacity and the trailer only weighing, maybe 5500 lbs max, and 10% of that on the tow vehicle, they are certainly not over loaded.  Now, with the bigger brakes on the newer Elite ll, they are installing 5200 lb axles that have even bigger bearings.  Excellent.

Trailer bearings are pretty easy to find.  I think they have them at Camping World and I know they have them at Tractor Supply.  Any trailer dealer should have them in stock too.  Very common.

• Thanks 1

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

BB -

To answer your question - in the "kit" purchased from Redneck Trailer Supply there is only one bearing that has a country or origin stamp on it - China.  I will add here that this did not bother me in that I view these kits as emergency use only items.  Since they are in a kit and are sealed in their own packaging, they fit the bill nicely for the purpose intended.

As an aside - relax.  I (we) understand your anticipation and excitement on getting your new baby.  Just lay back and enjoy the experience.  You are well served in having owned a camper before and what you do not remember, forget to ask, or simply will be confused about can be taken care of at a later date.  Focus on those things that are important - safety items - and other than that just enjoy your new Oliver.  Congratulations!

Bill