Question about refrigerator

Nan

This is only the second time camping in the Oliver.  I am trying to pre-cool the Dometic refrigerator and no lights on the panel will come on.  Could not get to the really accessible fuse panel under the table, but if it is not a blown fuse, what else could it be?  Not meaning to complain, but that panel is in a crappy place when you have had a hip and knee replacement.   Thanks everyone.

• Love 1

• Moderators

Nan, what's your battery level? Is the trailer plugged in? Are your other twelve volt plugs operational?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Sherry, the battery level is 13.7 volts.  I am plugged into the 30amp service that I have always been plugged into.  The de-humidifier is working and that is plugged into the 110 volt plug over the stove.  I tried to get down to the power panel, but could not do it. I did not think to check to see if the trailer was 100% level.

Apparently you have power but it is not getting to the refrigerator.  I would check the fuse first.  If that is not it, the plug on the power cord may have become dislodged.  Unfortunately neither one is easy to get to even with good hips and knees.  

If the fuse is not the culprit and you need to check the plug, you may be able to access it through the cabinet under the sink.  There is a post on this somewhere on the forum.  I am not quite sure where.  You will have to use the search function to find it.

Good luck, and recruit someone young and flexible to help you if it is the plug.  

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

• Moderators

Are you trying to run on gas, or 110 electric?

You should have lights on the panel , either way, from the 12v

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I would suspect the fuse, or the eyebrow control board. If the fuse checks ok, try holding the on button in .

In our old Dometic,  the contacts often went bad when not in use. Eyebrow board finally failed, and we replaced it.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I believe that @SeaDawg is onto something there.  Even if the fuse on the AC circuit was blown or if the plug came loose you should still get lights on the control panel from the DC 12v connection.  The DC connection is fused as well but it is unlikely both systems failed.  Hopefully holding the power button in will reset the control panel and resolve your issue.

I hope this does not spoil a trip for you.  Best of luck.

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

My Dometic requires you to hold the button in for a few seconds. Once I figured that out - it has been a very good unit.  Make sure its on auto - once it remains "on". It may take a few attempts.

RB

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Oh and Sherry..I was trying to run the ref. on 110 for a couple of days just to cool it down for the trip.  It worked fine last time, but grandson did most everything (and that probably included the ref.) , but  I did not learn anything..things will be different this time..lol

• Like 1

• Moderators

It gets better every time, Nan . Just patience. Everything takes time, and remembering the protocols.

Good luck. Keep us posted. 

Wishing you a very fun time camping.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

OK, I held the button in and the ref. lights came on. Question:  I am plugged into 30 amps so I would think I should have the AC lite on, but the DC lite and Auto lite is on.  I cannot get the AC lite to stay on.  Is this normal??  

• Moderators

Does anything else 110, like an outlet or microwave, or ac, work? Then your transfer switch kicked over fine.

A couple of possibilities.  If your transfer switch didn't kick in, (you don'thave 110 at outlets and ac), usually,  if you unplug from the house, and plug it back in, you'll hear the microwave beep, and the transfer switch has kicked in.

Or, your fridge could be unplugged from 110. This is a bit difficult to reach, so you might want to ask your grandson to come over and check that. It involves removing the bottom drawer, and a plywood panel between the fridge and the sink cabinet. 

Could be a fuse or breaker, which is easier to check than the fridge. But, I don't think I've ever heard of that happening before.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, Nan said:

OK, I held the button in and the ref. lights came on. Question:  I am plugged into 30 amps so I would think I should have the AC lite on, but the DC lite and Auto lite is on.  I cannot get the AC lite to stay on.  Is this normal??  

No. It's not. Can you toggle the switches to propane, and cool it down that way til you get the 110 situation figured out? 

Our dometic never autoswitched to dc. That had to be set manually. The Norcold fridge will auto select dc if neither propane nor 110 are available. 

If you decide to run the fridge on propane, light the big  stove burner for 20 or 30 seconds to make sure you have propane in the line. This will help eliminate air in the line to the fridge. The fridge burner is very small, and much more sensitive to air in the line than the stove is .

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

If fuses look good, take a couple screwdrivers and an inspection mirror and flashlight with you so he can check that the fridge is plugged in. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I went to camper and when I toggle to AC the AUTO lite and GAS  lite come on and the ref. immediately tries to fire to use the gas.  The ref is cooling on DC. I know this is not right, but I am too dumb to figure it out.  If the fridge was not plugged in, wouldn't all of the lites be off? 

• Moderators

The fridge runs on 12 volt, from the battery, so the lights come on from the 12v. It will only run on 110 if you have 110 available. 

Running on dc is ok since you have 110 charging your battery, but not ok if you're just unplugged, or, for most people towing. 

Have you ever run the fridge on gas? Is your propane turned on? Did you try lighting the stove burner? It can take a couple tries to get the fridge to light off,  since it's been sitting awhile. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

If the button that reads ac on top and dc on the bottom is selected, the fridge will go to dc if it doesn't have 110 available. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

It's been awhile since I had a dometic, but I  don't remember auto and dc ever being lit at the same time.

And you're not dumb, Nan. Just inexperienced with the intricacies of rv fridges .

I'll try to look up the manual.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I have never run anything on Gas. No, I do not have the propane turned on. It must be the fuse, but will have to have grandson check that out and that will not be until tomorrow.  I think I am way too old for all of this and am facing another knee replacement surgery (same knee)..      Thanks.

• Moderators

Ok. Some people never use gas. 

At this point, I  too would wait for your grandson. It's likely either the fuse, or the fridge is unplugged inside the cabinet.

So sorry about your knee.  

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4