Refrigerator Door

csevel

Has anyone modded the fridge door to stop it from swinging so far open?  Whenever I have items to load into my Dometic, the door wants to swing way into the entryway that I'm afraid it's going to break off!  I've already installed the reinforcement plate from Little House Customs on the top if the door but I'd like to have some kind of door stop in place.  

In my Casita, the flange on the outside prevented the door from swinging out like this.

I thought about a nylon strap fixed to the bottom but I can't seem to figure out how to install it.

Thanks in advance!

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"

@csevelwe found out early on that our Elite II just worked better if it was set up fairly level side-to-side and slightly nose high. The refrigerator door tends to swing closed, tanks drain quicker, the AC condensate drains better, the fresh water pickup is in the rear of the tank, pantry door tends to stay open, window tracks drain better, and water behind the awning runs off the rear. 

There is an odd phenomenon that occurs where the kitchen sink will not drain. Read this thread 

Since I started setting up slightly nose high I’ve not had this happen again. 

• Like 1

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

2 hours ago, Townesw said:

@csevelwe found out early on that our Elite II just worked better if it was set up fairly level side-to-side and slightly nose high. The refrigerator door tends to swing closed, tanks drain quicker, the AC condensate drains better, the fresh water pickup is in the rear of the tank, pantry door tends to stay open, window tracks drain better, and water behind the awning runs off the rear. 

There is an odd phenomenon that occurs where the kitchen sink will not drain. Read this thread 

Since I started setting up slightly nose high I’ve not had this happen again. 

I understand the benefits of most of these things but I tend to try to be as level as possible (within 6 degrees) for the absorption fridge.   I'd like to figure out a way to keep the door from swinging open so far.  Thanks!

• Like 1

• Moderators

Maybe you could try some self-adhesive d-ring patches, made for kayaks and inflatables, and a short length of parachute cord, or stiff shock cord? One on the bottom of the door, one on the side or bottom of the fridge to make a short retaining cord.

I  think your bubble on the front could be off a bit. (Ours often is.) Sounds like you may be a bit low in front, if the door swings so rapidly toward the entry. A few inches lift on the nose keeps you well within 6 degrees, btw. We do this, too, as others do. We often lift it a tiny bit on the road side, as well. It's all about what makes you (and the fridge) comfortable. The road/port side is where our heads are, sleeping. 

Screenshot_20210718-164921_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

3 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Maybe you could try some self-adhesive d-ring patches, made for kayaks and inflatables, and a short length of parachute cord, or stiff shock cord? One on the bottom of the door, one on the side or bottom of the fridge to make a short retaining cord.

I  think your bubble on the front could be off a bit. (Ours often is.) Sounds like you may be a bit low in front, if the door swings so rapidly toward the entry. A few inches lift on the nose keeps you well within 6 degrees, btw. We do this, too, as others do. We often lift it a tiny bit on the road side, as well. It's all about what makes you (and the fridge) comfortable. The road/port side is where our heads are, sleeping. 

Screenshot_20210718-164921_Chrome.jpg

I'll look in to these..I know how crazy expensive the parts are for Dometic.  Having a stretchy bungey between these might just work!

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, csevel said:

I know how crazy expensive the parts are for Dometic

If you can get them. Supply chain issues,  and all.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.