Xantrex: inability to update firmware [updated]

That is most helpful information.  I spent a good part of the day messing around in our new storage garage, greasing the Dexters, and getting better acquainted with the Xantrex Bluetooth app.  Although this is hard to admit, I had earlier (and obviously without having enough coffee) "returned all settings back to the original factory."  I immediately realized that was a major faux pas.   With sweat dripping down my brow, I went about searching, then finding the hopefully correct settings to which I re-reset the Xantrex controller.

Time will tell if I got the settings all back where they should be.

2021 Legacy Elite II  Twin Beds   "R-Villa" ~ Hull #803 

2021 GMC Denali HD, 6.6 L Duramax Turbo-Diesel, 10-speed Allison

ALARILINIAKYMNMSMOMTOHSDTNWIWYsm.jpg

Mike, you may have gathered some key information here. In the morning I will try to do what you report. What you describe may have caused my problem and may be the solution. I'm thinking that you and I may be the canaries in the coal mine on this issue. Sounds like others may have this same problem if these inverters are being installed with that setting #5.

2021 Elite II #841, 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0 diesel

17 hours ago, Cameron said:

UPDATE

Drove from dry camping at Craters of the Moon Idaho to my cousin's in Emmett ID. She gave me a hose  and a standard 110v extension cord. With an adapter, I connected my 30a shore power cord to the extension cord. Suddenly, the inverter was alive. I then disconnected the 110 extension cord and tested each item (AC, micro, TV) separately to make sure they worked. And the outlets too. Everything seems to be functioning normally. I'm running the AC now off the lithium. No prob. 

I remember seeing somewhere in a forum post about someone who had a Xantrex die, then when they plugged it in to shore power it came back to life. If I can find that post, I'll ask them more about it. 

Very strange.

When we were trouble shooting our Xantrex communication issue I wondered about this: There is a setting in the programming that puts the inverter into sleep mode when left idle more than 24 hrs.  I think the trigger on ours was set at the 25 hr mark.  This is to prevent the inverter's phantom draw from draining your batteries if left on.  Could it be a glitch in this programming?  Failure of the inverter to wake itself up when called to action, so to speak.  Perhaps it takes plugging the trailer in to shore power or resetting the breaker to wake the inverter up?  I realize this is probably unrelated to the remote display communication error, but who knows.  It's all "zeros and ones" - perfect logic . . . . . . hmmmmm.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

12 hours ago, IL_Travelers said:

That is most helpful information.  I spent a good part of the day messing around in our new storage garage, greasing the Dexters, and getting better acquainted with the Xantrex Bluetooth app.  Although this is hard to admit, I had earlier (and obviously without having enough coffee) "returned all settings back to the original factory."  I immediately realized that was a major faux pas.   With sweat dripping down my brow, I went about searching, then finding the hopefully correct settings to which I re-reset the Xantrex controller.

Time will tell if I got the settings all back where they should be.

Jason supplied us with the proper settings for our battery installation.

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

On 7/26/2021 at 4:31 PM, Cameron said:

Well, my fix for this problem was pretty darn simple, so I count myself very lucky. Or, it's possible that Oliver has done the work to resolve this problem for new trailers being picked up now. 

The service department told me to turn off the 300a breaker under the driver side bed access panel, wait 30 seconds then turn it back on. 

I did that and the problem was solved. I made sure that the remote was showing U3 01 06. When I continued pressing the battery button on the remote I saw other codes (U2 01 18 and U3 01 04) but stayed with that first code recommended by service.

When I talked to Xantrex support, and mentioned the brief reset period.  They told me this is a "soft reset" and directed us to perform a "hard reset" - that is wait 20-30 minutes before restoring power to the inverter via the breaker.  The explanation given me by Xantrex's "Shaun" is this: during a soft reset, some data is still retained by the inverter and it takes a hard reset to remove it.

Ray and Susan Huff

I believe that Oliver should deliver the xantrex inverter with the setting #5 set to OFF. Xantrex told me that the shutdown timer that defaults to 25 hours is really there for if the inverter is used say at some research station where there are long periods where no one may be around. It shuts itself off to conserve battery power until someone wakes it up. This has no real value in an Rv in most cases. 
What I still am working on is understanding how to revive the inverter without plugging into shore power. The only reason plugging in works is it activates the charger section of the Xantrex and that wakes up the whole unit. I tried every switch and breaker to revive it and nothing happened. This is a flaw either in the Xantrex itself or how Oliver has it wired. If I come up with an answer on this I will share but if you turn setting 5 to off you should never run into it.

Mike

TV 2018 F150 3.5 liter eco-boost with max tow package, hull #836 “LC”

Back when I installed my Victron inverter, I talked with Oliver about how they should offer it, and one reason they didn't want to touch it was because it was too complicated.  Things change.  One nice thing about the Victron is that Oliver could potentially diagnose and change software settings remotely.

On 8/1/2021 at 3:01 PM, LCTraveler said:

The only reason plugging in works is it activates the charger section of the Xantrex and that wakes up the whole unit. I tried every switch and breaker to revive it and nothing happened. This is a flaw either in the Xantrex itself or how Oliver has it wired. If I come up with an answer on this I will share but if you turn setting 5 to off you should never run into it.

This seems similar to a problem that I ran into with my Victron when installing it.  When the inverter was plugged into a separate controller/display, then it would wait for the controller to tell it to power up.  That was normally fine, but if you were starting everything up cold, then the controller wouldn't see that you had an inverter to turn on, since it hadn't been powered up.  So the inverter was waiting for a signal to turn itself on that could only be sent if it had already turned on and announced itself to the controller.  The solution was to unplug the controller so that the inverter would default back to its internal controls and turn itself on.  Then you could plug the controller back in and everything would be fine from then on.  They've since fixed that with software, but it definitely gave me a scare when after installing everything, the big moment came to turn it all on and... nothing.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/23/2021 at 7:45 AM, Ray and Susan Huff said:

We were not provided numbers, either.  When I asked, Oliver told me they do not keep a record and that the only component requiring a serial number for warranty is the Dometic AC.  Wrong. . . . . Dometic required a serial number for warranty on the cooktop; stove has to be removed to access the service sticker.  

Anytime I have called a vendor regarding service or warranty (RV related and other) the first thing they want is the model and serial#.  The serial# tells the manufacturer a lot about the component.  Those ordering now should ask in advance of production.  I don't think this is too much as ask for a $70K trailer.  Perhaps Oliver will decide this is important.

I have an Elite II on order.  I asked our sales rep Anita via email if the production folks could keep a record of model and serial numbers for third-party appliances installed when they manufacture the trailer, and give it to us along with the other materials supplied at delivery.  Here is her response received today:

I asked service and was advised that the serial numbers are on the component. In the Oliver University is the model numbers as well as telephone numbers for the company that manufactures the component. The Truma tankless water heater has an extended warranty and we register that before you take delivery. The number for it is on the outside of the component. The plant doesn’t keep those numbers since they are on the component. I’m sorry.

Apparently, it is too much to ask when you buy a trailer for $70K plus.

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Follow-up:  I emailed Anita to ask if, despite the reported standard practice, the production folks could be asked really nicely to record the model and serial numbers of installed appliances just for us when they build our Elite II.  She chose to call me with the answer.

Anita reported that Oliver now uses what she called the "IDS" system, which digitally records model and serial numbers,  by hull and VIN number, for appliances installed in trailers now being built.  She advised that serial numbers can be retrieved from the IDS system by Oliver service techs upon request.  She suggested I call Oliver's service department to request the model and serial number should any installed appliance ever need warranty service.  As I told Anita, I plan to ask for a printout of that IDS data when I pick up our Elite II.

The take away:  open a service ticket, and call Oliver service to request the serial number, for any installed appliance which requires warranty service.

If any of you actually do this at some point, I would appreciate a report via this forum on how it goes .

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

On 11/12/2021 at 9:43 AM, Rivernerd said:

Follow-up:  I emailed Anita to ask if, despite the reported standard practice, the production folks could be asked really nicely to record the model and serial numbers of installed appliances just for us when they build our Elite II.  She chose to call me with the answer.

Anita reported that Oliver now uses what she called the "IDS" system, which digitally records model and serial numbers,  by hull and VIN number, for appliances installed in trailers now being built.  She advised that serial numbers can be retrieved from the IDS system by Oliver service techs upon request.  She suggested I call Oliver's service department to request the model and serial number should any installed appliance ever need warranty service.  As I told Anita, I plan to ask for a printout of that IDS data when I pick up our Elite II.

The take away:  open a service ticket, and call Oliver service to request the serial number, for any installed appliance which requires warranty service.

If any of you actually do this at some point, I would appreciate a report via this forum on how it goes .

I am happy to hear Oliver is now tracking component serial numbers, as many of them are inacessible after they are installed. 

When we purchased our prior RV (Leisure Travel Van), we were provided with these numbers.  Since our Oliver was built a year ago, they probably don't have those numbers recorded.  ☹️

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Ray and Susan Huff said:

Since our Oliver was built a year ago, they probably don't have those numbers recorded.  ☹️

I would NOT make that assumption.

In the past, Oliver did record these numbers and give them to new owners along with their Owner's Manual.  I'd bet that about the time that Oliver stopped doing this was about the time they started tracking the numbers in their system. 😊

Bill 

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

I would NOT make that assumption.

In the past, Oliver did record these numbers and give them to new owners along with their Owner's Manual.  I'd bet that about the time that Oliver stopped doing this was about the time they started tracking the numbers in their system. 😊

Bill 

We didn't get a list with our 2008. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, SeaDawg said:

We didn't get a list with our 2008. 

There's a price to pay for that 14 years of wonderful times in an early Ollie! 😁

Seriously, I got a list of these numbers with my 2016. 

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

There's a price to pay for that 14 years of wonderful times in an early Ollie! 😁

Not complaining. Just noting that it hasn't been a consistent practice. I'm glad they've gone digital. Much better for inventory tracking, as well.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Yes, it's a very small price, and actually no big deal. Most serial numbers have been easy to see, when/if we actuallyneeded them. 

Tradeoff for 14 seasons of great camping? Priceless, imo.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 1 month later...

After spending hours and hours dealing with communication errors and unsuccessfully uploading new firmware Xantrex has sent me a replacement Freedom XC Pro inverter.  It looks like at least two of you have replaced the inverter.  Might you have any guidance that would help in replacing this unit (and to help keep me from electrocuting myself)?  Thanks!

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

1 hour ago, Fritz said:

Might you have any guidance that would help in replacing this unit (and to help keep me from electrocuting myself)?  Thanks!

Step one, disconnect shore power. Step two disconnect batteries. Step three, proceed safely. The main hazard with the inverter is that a great big high amperage 12 volt cable runs to it, if you dropped a wrench across that positive terminal and a ground, it would wreak havoc. Google “how to weld with a battery”.

Oh, step seven or eight, make sure the mount screws have not pulled out of the board, or that the board itself has not come loose, repair as necessary. My board popped free at the top, I ended up through-bolting those top ones with machine screws and self locking nuts.

FYI, you should consider adding ventilation holes for that compartment; inverters and converters run hot, and the waste heat gets trapped under that bed. I am not sure why Oliver doesn't do this, it is very important. These inverters have an efficiency rating of about 85 to 90%, depending on the load, that means 10%+ of that input energy is dumped as heat gain under the bed. And it can’t get out. As it gets warm the output drops to safeguard the components, for inverting that happens at just 104 degrees😳For those complaining of continuous fan noise, I bet you a steak dinner that proper ventilation would help that.

40AF5FE1-93D8-45FA-9D31-D5144F0AF64E.thumb.jpeg.6affa15dc8dd41d7a657749eeab16897.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks for the message "bump" . . . . . yes, the holidays have been busy and I've not been monitoring the forum much . . . . barely keeping up with my email!  I'll try to do better.

It's been a while since we (my husband) installed the new 3000w inverter.  What JD says is most important: disconnect all power sources (Jason outlines what/where to disconnect in the attached instructions).  I don't know if it was necessary, but we also disconnected the solar controller.  Our 2021 has a cutoff switch in the compartment over the street side bed on the outside of the pantry wall.  It's a big red switch; you can't miss it.

Oliver Support (Jason) helped us through the entire process, stepping in when Xantrex drug their feet in resolving our issue.  Attached are step-by-step instructions, as per Jason.  While the task seemed daunting, at first, it really wasn't bad at all; having written guidance made all the difference.  Though Oliver offered to walk us through the entire process, via phone, we found the attached instructions very straightforward and easy to follow.  My husband has some experience working with electrical things, but we are hardly what you'd call professionals.

I'll try to recall a few of the intricacies of our installation and offer tips to avoid the minor problems we did encounter.

1. As you have probably discovered, the inverter is not situated in a way conducive to replacement.  1. Remove mattress and prop open the hatch to allow the best access to the inverter.  2. Our inverter was held in place by 4 screws at each corner, to the inside wall of the bed base.  You'll be working upside down and from the street side in a dark hole; make sure you have good lighting.  3. We utilized our phone to inspect and take pictures of the installation prior to removal.  4. IMPORTANT: absolutely lay a cloth, or something on the floor under the inverter to catch any dropped screws; voice of experience, "there will be dropped screws!"  The phone camera also comes in handy here.

2. The only other issue I recall encountering was something Jason neglected to mention.  Because Xantrex was not willing to send us a new inverter, our replacement inverter came directly off Oliver's shelf.  Having not been handled by technicians, it was programmed, as from the factory, with default settings.  Once you have the new unit installed and communication established with the remote panel, you will need to go through the programming and adjust it according to your specific installation.  I suggest you contact Oliver for the proper seettings.

Once the new inverter was installed, everything worked as intended.  As for the annoying fan noise, I can't say, difinitively, that the new installation eliminated the constant cycling on and off of the inverter fan while connected to shore power (charging mode), though it does seem to be less annoying than before the replacement - maybe we are just getting used to it!

Don't hesitate to ask Oliver tech support for guidance . . . . . you can do this!

If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Susan

Oops!  Forgot to attach file:

Steps to remove old and install new Xantrex inverter.docx

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

On 7/21/2021 at 11:44 AM, Jim_Oker said:

And yeah, when I get the replacement unit I'll be writing down the inverter's serial number in my maintenance notebook before I mount it in the trailer!!

When we purchased our Oliver, I asked for a list of serial and model numbers for all components.  When we purchased our previous RV (Leisure Travel Van), we were provided with such a list.   At the time of my inquiry, Oliver had no such documentation.

Apparently they considered my request important.  In addition to serial numbers for warranty claims, it is helpful to have the component model numbers in the event you have to call the vendor for tech support.  I think I heard that Oliver now tracks all serial/model numbers of installed components and supplies these at delivery - or at least I think that's how it works.  Unfortunately, we are stuck with relying on physical inspection to retrieve this information.   Dometic stove top is a case in point; accessing the model number required removal of the stove which should be done by a tech certified in LP installation; reportedly not user servicable. 

• Like 2

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

Yes, you are correct in what you heard.  It is "possible" that Oliver Service has these numbers you desire.  Certainly contacting Oliver Service could be worth the small effort involved.

Good luck!

Bill

• Like 1

Susan covered it pretty well. I followed the directions I was given by Oliver service for removing the old one and installing the new one. It was reasonably straightforward. I used a magnetized screwdriver for the mounting screws which helped a bit with not dropping the screws. Indeed there were a few settings that needed changing from their defaults in the factory inverter I'd been sent by Xantrex. See this page for settings https://support.olivertraveltrailers.com/portal/en/kb/articles/xantrex-freedom-xc-pro-inverter-settings

I have the LifeBlue batteries and Jason included this note when he sent me that link: ". LiFeBlue batteries can be set to 120a charge rate"

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709