Uncertain which way to go.

sbuchanan25

Good evening everyone,

I've been a member of the forum for little over a year now and have just been reading and trying to educate myself from everyone else's experiences.  Just traveled to Hohenwald and took the tour with Jason (915 mile round trip, a new personal record driving in a single day).  The Olivers I saw were more impressive than the pictures and literature I've seen.  There is no doubt I will get one but I'm not certain as to which one (I or II) I will choose.  I'm single and will be traveling the majority of the time by myself.  While the Elite I would be ample for me, I'm really much more impressed with the II mostly due to shower head room and sleeping accommodations (I prefer the twin bed configuration in the II as opposed to leaving the dinette made into a bed all the time in the I) and in this price range it's not that much of a stretch from the I to the II.

I presently own a 2019 Tacoma Limited 4X4 with a towing capacity of 6400 lbs.  It is paid for and I really don't want to spring for a larger TV at this time.  I live in Ga. and the drive from Hohenwald is a relatively flat drive.  Where I will initially be using the Oliver is local lake parks and the general southeast (no mountains) until I'm comfortable with everything involved.  Once I'm retired ( 16 months) I will want to travel the country extensively and not have any limitations with my tow vehicle.

Having said all this, I would appreciate comments/opinions on whether I should  :

1.) choose the Elite I, keep the Tacoma, travel limitlessly, and live with the shower and sleeping configurations.

2.) choose Elite II, keep Tacoma and limit myself to "flat lands".

3.) choose Elite II, keep Tacoma and travel locally until I can upgrade TV and then travel limitlessly.

Or any other suggestions on the trailer/TV combinations.

Thanks, looking forward to any/all responses.

Steve

• Moderators

We started out towing our EII with a 2012 Tacoma.  It did fine.  We had to stop often for gas (150-200 miles) and couldn’t carry much cargo.  If you limit your towing to flat lands and short trips you could get by with your Tacoma and an Elite II, it’s just not an enjoyable towing experience and you’ll want to upgrade to make any longer trips or mountain towing.  If you go with the smaller trailer the Tacoma would be fine long term, there are a number of Tacoma owners towing an Elite I.  I can’t comment on living in the Elite I, but there are a lot of owners out there that may offer their views.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Have you arranged a tour of local Olivers? That may be the deciding factor on which size bests fits you and your lifestyle.  My bet is this will be your "forever" trailer, and should be what fits you the best. The tv might just be a secondary factor based on what you choose. Seems almost like you realize the tv you have may be undersized for where you might want to go.

Bigger solar, dual axles, larger kitchen, and a pantry also figure into the decision making process. They do add weight and cost, but also add to resale value.

Good luck on the decision process, it is solely a personal decision...

• Like 1

Your post leaves me wondering how hard it would be to modify the Elite 1 to put a 30 inch bunk on one side of that bed area (same width as the Elite 2 "twins"). That might be a nice tradeoff if you can stomach the height in the E1 - you do get a bit more flexibility for fitting into smaller or more convoluted-to-back-into sites with the shorter and slightly narrower E1, along with being able to just drive that Tacoma into the ground instead of looking to trade up.

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

4 minutes ago, Jim_Oker said:

Your post leaves me wondering how hard it would be to modify the Elite 1 to put a 30 inch bunk on one side of that bed area (same width as the Elite 2 "twins"). That might be a nice tradeoff if you can stomach the height in the E1 - you do get a bit more flexibility for fitting into smaller or more convoluted-to-back-into sites with the shorter and slightly narrower E1, along with being able to just drive that Tacoma into the ground instead of looking to trade up.

Isn't the EI 6" narrower than an EII , side to side? Also isn't the sleeping area narrower, front to back? If height is a concern, would think a bunk layout must fit also be a concern?

4 minutes ago, Mainiac said:

Isn't the EI 6" narrower than an EII , side to side?

Yes. Hence my comment that between that and the shorter length it will fit in some spots that  won't be doable with the E2

I don't know the sleeping area dimensions though, nor the height of sbuchanan25

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

If I was in your shoes - and I really liked my Taco, I would go the EI route. No doubt about it. Now if I was to upgrade the TV - still go the smaller O".  However, if I was going to need room for 2  the decision would become more of a challenge. 

RB

• Like 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

This is a really hard choice, I love my LE2 but if I were solo, I would have gotten the smaller trailer, definitely! My LC 200 tows the LE2 OK, but it would be very stellar with the LE1. You need to think about where you will take it, some of the National Park campsites like at Glacier, are really really tight, you simply can’t fit the bigger trailer into a whole lot of them. Same with old state parks, the sites are cramped and trees get in the way. A little trailer opens up a whole lot more possibilities outside of newer established campgrounds and RV Parks. The LE1 will be way better on rough forest roads and public land tracks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

With today's price of an e1, it's a tougher decision. Not a significant spread between the base prices.

The bed in an e1 is a full size, not a queen, at 54 or 55 wide. I use queen sheets because it's easier than stretching full size sheets, and I  already have them for one of our home guest rooms.  I wish the bed were bigger, but it's not, and I  have no reason to move up because of that.  In the cooler weather, it's really nice to have the smaller space . Body heat keeps the trailer warm, without listening to the furnace kick in, if I keep the furnace set at minimum.

A friend of mine modified her casita to create a home twin size bed, where our full size bed is, plus added storage cabinet and "nightstand" space. Depends on your height, really.

Several people I know happily camp solo in an e1, for over a decade. My husband and I  are very happy with the e1, in our 14th season. 15 or 16 weeks so far this year, I  think.  We're both average sized people, 5' 11" and 5' 4". Actually,  I'm a bit on the short side...

We carry everything we need, and not more. The trailer has everything  we need,  and not more. Life in miniature.  

Both live big on the outside, where we spend the majority of our time. 

The e1 fits in crazy tiny spaces, if you can back as well as my husband. (He's way better at that than I  am.)

Sometimes we get assigned tent or tent trailer spaces, with trees on each side, etc. Fun. And very quiet, and often more scenic. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We just sold our 2013 Tacoma and bumped up to an F150 FX4 with max tow package in order to better handle the weight of the LEII.  We are extremely happy we did given our travel will be primarily in the mountainous Western US, Western Canada and Alaska.

I am certain the Tacoma would have handled the LEII adequately on the flats but have found the brakes marginal for towing our far lighter previous trailer which weighed under 3000# loaded.  The far smaller tank on the Toyota was also an issue ... not of safety but of convenience.  The F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost has far more power than the Tacoma and gets better MPG.

We were amazed at the price we got selling our Tacoma ourselves ... within 6K of the Tacoma's new purchase price despite 96K on the odometer.  Made purchasing a heavier TV easier to justify.  

• Moderator+

Personally, I'd go with option #3. You get the trailer you really want and you get to keep the truck you already own. You will be able to use the combination and see how it meets your needs. If not, then you can see about getting a bigger truck.

If I were traveling single with the EII, I would get the setup of one rear bed opposite a sitting area (couch like).

• Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

I am on a cross country trip, California to Maine and back - right now a 3 hour drive from Yellowstone/Grand Teton where I will be spending a week. I am towing an LEI - single axle - with a 2014 Tacoma, 4x4, heavy suspension/chassis, V6. I would not have enjoyed towing the larger LEII, if I could have done it. I feel comfortable with the Tacoma and LEI, but I am at the limit, I think. Did you know that Nebraska is not flat across I80?

I am solo, a new widower. The LEI is doing fine for me on its first real trip. Have had a few problems, and honestly, am not overly impressed with the Oliver detail "finish" work. But having the rear dinette permanently made up as a bed, with about one-third used as clothes storage - I have too much stuff with me - has been fine. The counter top is small. I use the smaller dinette as a catchall for work (I am sort of working while traveling), makes food prep a bit of an experience, and with lots of rain in the northeast, doing so outside was not great. The motorized awning closes at the slightest wisp of a breeze automatically, so while under it in the rain, it likes to close. I would prefer a manual awning. 

I am able to cruise at about 70 mph, or so, if not too uphill. Getting about 12 mpg. Without towing, I am at 17mpg. I have 160,000 miles on the truck, also paid for, which is nice. But I will be looking at a new tow vehicle when I return. The weight of even the LEI is too much for the Tacoma, I feel. Of course I probably need to replace the shocks anyway, buy they have weakened while on the trip. The new Olivers are expensive, and with a new tow vehicle at $60,000+, I am wondering about the total cost. Maybe a used trailer would be more reasonable, but still the weight would suggest a new tow vehicle. I am looking at the Ford F150 hybrid, or possibly a used landcruiser.

I plan on regular trips, so the Tacoma probably needs to be replaced. I have used zero oil on the trip, changed oil in Maine and will again next week. Always serviced with full synthetic changed at 5-6,000 miles, Mobil 1 or Castrol. Usually change it myself. Regular anticipated maintenance/wear on Tacoma. 

I find that I need to stop at 150-200 miles anyway, so getting gas at that range is no problem. I try to not let the tank go below 1/4. I would not have tried the LEII with the Tacoma, and find that the LEI is the limit. Oliver is a heavy trailer. I also find solo with the LEI is fine, but I would not want to have a guest over for the evening. 

John

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited

And I am 6' tall. Sit on the toilet when I take a shower, but I have replaced the provided hose with one that works. The provided hose is a .......

It is plastic, and kinks when pulled out far enought to use as a shower hose. I replaced it with a solid wall hose, stainless steel mesh, added a few inches (8) and it works fine. 

Oliver is being responsive to problems and issues. There are many, but we need to let corporate know what they are so the problems can be fixed.

If LEII and solo, I would get one twin bed and use the other as a sofa.

I can stand up easily within the main trailer.

• Thanks 1

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited