Furnace Hold-down Strap Broke

I was checking the water valves and noticed the hold down strap for the furnace is broken at the rivet, or maybe torx screw…now that I look closer at the photo. I noticed the strap is held at the bottom by a sheet metal screw. When I replace the strap can I just use a screw, though now thinking I might be able to reuse the top screw, if not a rivet?

Better way to do this?

Approximately 3000 miles on trailer between prior owner’s one trip and this first trip.

D8022AAC-422D-4406-A0A4-2AC0CDA1322F.jpeg

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

I am fairly sure that top screw is one for the access panel, there is no reason to not reuse it, or the lower one that screws into the fiberglass. Either can be replaced with a larger diameter one if the hole is stripped (enlarged). That tiedown is cheap “hardware strap”, intended for securing a residential water heater to a wall (tipover) and for really light weight HVAC ducts. I would look for a more satisfactory (or at least heavier gauge) material to replace it. Or double it back over itself, or to a second anchor point at the bottom.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I agree that there needs to be a better solution for the furnace hold down. On mine, Oliver ran the strap over the entire unit, side to side, so it’s secured on both sides. But it originally had about an inch of play which I didn’t think was too great for something that had a gas line attached to it. I was able to tighten it up but I really want to figure out something better.

BTW, you say furnace but your photo is of the water heater. I’d have to check to be 100% certain, but I don’t think that my Truma has any hold down strap on it at all. It seems pretty well secured just by it’s front mounting plate. 

Hi Ralph!  I'm sorry this happened, I hope its not going to be too much trouble getting it back where you need it.  I agree with John E Davies, this is not the best solution for this type of application.  Anytime you have sharp bends and pressure with these kind of straps, this is of course is going to be the result.  A solid band of heavier gauge would be a better idea.  I hope this doesn't slow you down!

NR

• Like 1

Las Vegas, NV | 2020 LE II #612 | 2020 Ford F-150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost Max Tow

spacer.png

Ralph,

I noticed the same issue on our 2021 LE II (Hull 760, also the Truma and also low miles). Our heater seems firmly in place so I'm going to wait until we get home and find a sturdier strap. But interesting that we're not the only ones.

Scott Johnson

• Like 1

Scott & Sandy Johnson
Ann Arbor, Michigan and Fraser,  Colorado

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull #760
TV 2017 Nissan Titan XD Diesel Pro-4X

Those type of straps don't break very easily under static tension.  They fail when there is movement causing metal fatigue.  If you were to bend that strap back and forth a few times where a hole is, it would break in pretty short order.  Been there done that when I forgot tin snips.

I don't have the Truma in my LE l, but if I did I would investigate the possibility of installing a nylon strap with a cinching mechanism to hold the unit firmly in place.  

I agree with @John E Davies about the screw.  Just make certain that you don't use a longer screw (or drive one into another spot) because there is a water tank in there somewhere.

• Like 2

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

We just finished a trip on miles of gravel/dirt logging roads. When I was cleaning the dust out I lifted the panel under the curbside bed and noticed that the same strap is broken on our 2019 LEII.  This is the second time it has broken. David is thinking about replacing it with a heavy duty nylon strap. What do you think? Paula

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

That hold-down design is only as strong as its weakest link. If you make the strap stronger, it might simply pull the lower screw out of the fiberglass. If in fact that is how it is secured, can somebody post a pic? You need to look at the whole setup, can you beef up the bottom where it attaches? Maybe put a full loop over the top and secure it on two sides? You could even go as far as installing a plastic covered steel cable with a turnbuckle…. but that is probably way overkill.

I think the Mother Ship needs to get involved, because this does not appear to be an isolated occurrence.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Jason in service got back to me.

He offered a replacement strap. Queried him as to whether it was Home Depot type, or worth getting it from them. Waiting to hear back. 

He did caution to reuse the Truma top screw, with a bit of blue Loctite, but also said to be sure tires are running at 55 psi to mitigate a rough ride. 

16 minutes ago, Ralph Mawyer said:

also said to be sure tires are running at 55 psi to mitigate a rough ride. 

🙄 We have had so many arguments and discussions about tire pressures in the last few years, it is good to know that Jason understands that the 80 psi recommended in the manual is so very wrong. 55 is still way too high IMHO for the LE2, though OK for the LE1. I run 42, but each to his own I guess.

How much pressure is in your tires? Maybe that has been contributing to the damage.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Was running 58-60.  I know where you’re coming from. Just trying to nail the correct PSI for aftermarket tires on my LX 570 was a minor exercise, but at least we have IH8Mud.com expertise there. 

Probably need to link me to the tire thread here, but how did you arrive at 42….or just using the same as your Land Cruiser at 6000 lbs. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ralph Mawyer said:

Probably need to link me to the tire thread here, but how did you arrive at 42….or just using the same as your Land Cruiser at 6000 lbs. 🙂

Pretty much….. You are almost right, I run 42 in my Land Cruiser (10 ply tires) and it does make it easier to keep track of if I keep the Ollie the same. If you run them this low, for sure you need a trailer TPMS.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2363-how-to-tire-pressure-placard/

John Davies

Spokane WA

I don't remember seeing a top screw on ours, will have to look again.  We bought new metal strapping but haven't really decided whether to use that or to try another solution with a nylon strap. Still pondering! We've read much of the past discussions about tire pressure and have been running ours at 70 psi.  Interesting to know Jason says 55. Paula

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

Update: Jason is sending new text strap, but is also going to discuss with engineering to see if there might be a better solution. 

Great service continues. 

• Like 3

I took some photos of our failure.  This was the second occurrence.  First failure pulled the strap from the screw connecting it to the aluminum base on the right side of the furnace facing the curb side.  I just used another hole.  I did have to bend the left side to ninety degrees to have enough strap to reconnect.  This failure was after our trip last fall.  This new failure probably occurred due to a very rough unpaved road, rutted, and with many potholes.  We had our tire pressure at 70lbs this spring.  We don’t have any strap on our Truma and it is solid.  The furnace has a bit more give to it without the strap   We are going to lower our tire pressure to 60lbs before our fall trip.  I will go with a nylon strap secured with a aluminum u channel and two screws on each side   The strap will a buckle on top.

David

D15A7998-89D2-4A9B-8F82-DC42403EBDE3.thumb.jpeg.958de8b96fed5d827ed725092525dc59.jpeg827FA955-52E3-4CBC-9647-AEBE6B14D6E5.thumb.jpeg.f9e571c88cc429e59b31065f39cfd743.jpeg827FA955-52E3-4CBC-9647-AEBE6B14D6E5.thumb.jpeg.f9e571c88cc429e59b31065f39cfd743.jpeg8569589B-11D6-4512-A5ED-5790A6929DD6.thumb.jpeg.6dd622bd5da65cf44f1e603704885fd5.jpeg

• Like 1

Hull 509 "The Swallow"