Craters of the Moon in Idaho

Cameron

• 1 year later...

We love it there, my wife's Aunt and Uncle live in ARCO, ID (I know, who does that?).  We towed through there in 2020 but it was full (and we had a 30' trailer) so we camped just down the street.

Brian

• Like 4

We were there on a day visit in 2017, and thought the campground looked great, although absolutely zero shade. Definitely going back some day!

• Like 3

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

4 hours ago, Katjo said:

like that the sites are generously spaces apart. 

Actually, a lot of the site are relatively close to each other. But, the park is very well designed and most of the sites are very good. It can be very hot in the summer. Spring can be windy. Fall is the best time to visit.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

• 8 months later...

We rode through Craters of the Moon during our annual "Spine-of-the-Rockies" Tour (MCycle ride) last AUG - absolutely beautiful geology.  We'll go back with Casablanca, for sure.  Very special destination, IMO.

• Like 3

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

Craters of the Moon is one of our favorite spots.  Located right in the middle of a vast (and recent) volcanic flow, this park is unique!  

A couple of considerations.  First, number of sites are limited and, of those available, many will not handle a 20+ trailer.  If possible, get a reservation.  If not, get there early and be prepared to move on if needed.  Secondly, this place can get HOT!  Temps commonly push 100 in summer months and there is really no shade.  For that reason we tend to limit our visits to the shoulder seasons.

Take in the visitors center and some of the local hikes.  The topography brings to mind the big island of Hawaii or Newberry Crater near Bend, OR.  Morning and evening hikes are best to avoid heat.  Bring a sunhat, lots of water and good, solid hiking boots ... this is not a padded forest floor!

Many campgrounds are somewhat forgetable ... this is NOT the case with Craters of the Moon.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

As I mentioned in a previous post, we were not able to get in to camp there but I highly recommend, as an alternative, Mt View RV Campground in ARCO, ID. This makes a good basecamp to explore the area.  View campground details HERE.

That being said, just north of there in MACKAY, ID there is a gem of a campground at the MACKAY RESERVOIR - the Joe T, Fallini Campground. 

Reservoir Campground Info HERE.

There are some beautiful drives and hikes in the area going north along the Salmon river.  

We camped there for a week in our AS and look forward to going back.

image.thumb.jpeg.5a9f1de27b3eb2fd0b8eab23f31b28d8.jpeg

Edited by Brian and Brandelyne
Added second Campground Link
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 9

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We just checked out the Craters of the Moon campground while on our motorcycle tour today!  WE WILL be coming back soon with the Casablanca!  This is a wonderful area...

1576264411_Screenshot2023-08-13at16_18_51.thumb.png.4123d57055200a9b6a59e37001290eac.png

• Like 5
  • Love 1

spacer.png

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

It is such a neat place. Walk up the cinder cone. Your calves will hate you 😂

I have that same MotoFizz in medium on my Burgman.

• Like 2

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

2 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

We just checked out the Craters of the Moon campground while on our motorcycle tour today!

Max - which is yours?  The Beemer, the HD or the GW?  I am not riding anymore (for now) but I have over 250k miles between HD and BMW, a GW might be in my future but with all the insane drivers out there I am not sure I want to deal with them.

BL

2 hours ago, Brian and Brandelyne said:

Max - which is yours?  The Beemer, the HD or the GW?  I am not riding anymore (for now) but I have over 250k miles between HD and BMW, a GW might be in my future but with all the insane drivers out there I am not sure I want to deal with them.

BL

Mine's the Bemmer...  It's a K1600/GT.  That's Ralph by his GW.  Tom's got the HD.  We've been riding Bemmers for decades.  Also have a highly modified R90/6 back in the barn!  This is pleasant riding here in the Rockies - drivers are aware and not crazy like elsewhere in the US, we've not had any issues.  Just passed our projected halfway point today, DAY-6: 1,784 miles since departing home, FYI.  

We'll be back here soon with the Ollie!

Cheers!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

spacer.png

13 hours ago, Brian and Brandelyne said:

with all the insane drivers out there I am not sure I want to deal with them

That's why I'm selling my three scoots! At just a few weeks shy of 70, I don't want to have to deal with any broken bones or replacement surgery!! Nearly 60 years of riding without dumping a bike (other than dirt bikes in my teens), and I don't want some idiot on his phone ruining that streak.

• Like 3

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

1 hour ago, Steve Morris said:

That's why I'm selling my three scoots!

Agreed Steve - my first accident was a hit and run. The driver was cutting a corner really close and I guess he didn't see me until he hit my rear wheel sending me and the bike flying.  The second one was on my wife's very first ride ever on a motorcycle and we had been out all day touring the Skyline Drive in VA when we a kamikaze deer hit us at 65 mph! That one was not fun but I didn't drop the bike, I credit physics (HD Ultra Classic v. deer) and the good Lord above for that one.

BL

• Like 3

11 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

Mine's the Bemmer...  It's a K1600/GT

I could tell that one was a K-1600 by the six tubes in the rear.  We went to the BMW International rallies in Hamburg, NY; Salt Lake City, UT and Lebanon, TN -- all good times.  One year on our anniversary my wife surprised me with the two-day riders program down at the BMW facility in Greensboro, SC!  That course was amazing and we did things on motorcycles I previously did not think possible.

No matter what your experience level, that course will make you better!

BL

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Tom and Doreen said:

Hoping for an Oliver toy-hauler! 😉

Toy Hauler would be nice!  My "RT" with my wife on Tail of the Dragon (TN side) and my primary ride now, a Trek Fuel 8, in Dead Horse Canyon SP, UT.

Fontana.jpeg

DSCN0415.jpeg

• Like 3