Exterior Outlet

Hi All,

I was thinking of replacing the exterior outlet cover with something more user friendly.   Has anyone replaced theirs?

Not only has mine yellowed but I don't find it easy to flip open and insert plugs or cords with transformers/adapters as it doesn't fully extend or open. 

I had something like the attached on my Casita and it worked just fine.

Any opinions or experience appreciated!

outlet.jpg

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"

• Moderators

Mine is yellowed, too, but, hey, it matches the yellowed jack cover.  

I  actually like the one piece weatherproof cover over the outlet, as it acts like an awning or hood. But if you don't, buy what you like. As long as it's weatherproof. It should have a spring (or springs if you go with the two outlet covers), to keep it weatherproof on the move.

We did have to replace the exterior outlet, once. Not a big deal to remove the cover, and put it back, as I recall. A few screws, and caulk.

The hard part was finding a replacement gfi outlet, in rural New Brunswick.  Got lucky at a tiny, dusty hardware store. We carry a spare, now, which means we'll probably never need it....

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

A short extension cord with a 90 degree plug might be a quick answer as this would have the cord drop straight down rather then stick out. I have never found this plug to be a problem when using, but maybe larger plugs could be a problem. As far as the plug cover turning a yellow color, I would remove it, clean it in soap and water, scuff it off with a fine sandpaper, and repaint it with Kyrlon White for plastics. Since I repaint everything I own when needed it seems like a no brainer to me. You could just shop around at HD, or Lowes and see what style they have and replace it to one that the doors might open farther, but for me I would just stick with what I have and use the short extension with the 90 degree plug. Plus repaint.

trainman 

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

4 hours ago, Trainman said:

A short extension cord with a 90 degree plug might be a quick answer as this would have the cord drop straight down rather then stick out. I have never found this plug to be a problem when using, but maybe larger plugs could be a problem. As far as the plug cover turning a yellow color, I would remove it, clean it in soap and water, scuff it off with a fine sandpaper, and repaint it with Kyrlon White for plastics. Since I repaint everything I own when needed it seems like a no brainer to me. You could just shop around at HD, or Lowes and see what style they have and replace it to one that the doors might open farther, but for me I would just stick with what I have and use the short extension with the 90 degree plug. Plus repaint.

trainman 

I have extensive experience with Krylon from my days with my Casita.  I think the ILOVHER will probably end up with a new quality weatherproof cover that will open a bit farther.   Thanks for your input! 

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"