KOA Camp Grounds

Pat Maundrell

I've never been a big Fan of KOA's, (not sure really why) until recently. We were able to make reservations at three different KOA locations, last week easily. However, we had to cancel these reservations, because of a family emergency and reschedule at a locale KOA in Dayton Ohio, within 50 miles of home so we could stay in touch. I would rate the Dayton Ohio KOA, on a 1-10 scale a solid 10, we will go back!!!

• Like 4

• Moderators

We do KOA’s on occasion.  Usually when it’s the best choice for the location we want to visit.  Last one was the KOA on South Padre Island.  We just wanted a relaxing week on the shore and the KOA was a good choice.  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

KOAs are very convenient and easy to locate when traveling to make a quick overnight stay when Walmart parking gets old. 

I frequent the koa In kings land Ga. exit 1  I -95 Florida Georgia line. Best free breakfast in the morning homemade waffles pancakes with fresh fruit and whip cream coffee and Oj 👍🏼

• Like 2

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• 4 weeks later...

West Glacier KOA is a wonderful campground and only 6 miles from the Entry Portal to Glacier.

IMG_2078.thumb.jpeg.ee61f49b8e68781c5a29a39e83c1c657.jpeg

IMG_0957.thumb.jpeg.eea87352d240609044ebf917c678128b.jpeg

IMG_2231.thumb.jpeg.eda39f9af14c2cfede23fe8926084418.jpeg

• Like 5

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

• Moderators

Pretty site!

I know you're on a long trip. Safe travels,  and be careful. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I have no problems with KOA's, but my biggest dislike is the camping spots are usually very close together, I realize this is not a problem in some KOA's. My biggest dislike for close camping spots is some campers/RV's run two A/C units and it seems like they never shutoff, takes away for us being outside around our trailer and enjoying nature, etc. 

trainman

• Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

We enjoy KOAs when it's time to deep clean the Ollie & do laundry. Another plus is all of the ones we've been to have had a fenced area to let the dogs off leash.

• Like 1
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

On 8/1/2021 at 10:52 AM, Pat Maundrell said:

I've never been a big Fan of KOA's, (not sure really why) until recently. We were able to make reservations at three different KOA locations, last week easily. However, we had to cancel these reservations, because of a family emergency and reschedule at a locale KOA in Dayton Ohio, within 50 miles of home so we could stay in touch. I would rate the Dayton Ohio KOA, on a 1-10 scale a solid 10, we will go back!!!

I want to expand on the above Post. 

The thing we found really helpful and extremely easy to use was their Reservation System! Its been our experience that it is very difficult to find a Camp Ground opening anywhere because they are high demand, and all the reservation systems out there. The KOA system was easy to use and therefore easy to find a campsite, it worked great! If your not a KOA user now, I highly recommend it.

KOA’s are a last resort for an overnight stay for us when traveling. The sites are very close crowded and cramped in our experience. There are two in the Asheville NC area which we drove through just to look at a few years ago. East Asheville KOA is very tight and one can easily hear the interstate. The West Asheville KOA is not any better. The KOA in Boone NC is ok, but still close and cramped. The KOA in Fancy Gap, Va is ok for an overnight stay as well as the one in Travelers Rest, SC however both are pretty cramped or tightly packed. The KOA in the Cherokee territory in Western NC is another very crowded CG. That said, they still manage to book sites and pack lots of “campers” in. KOA’s are not what we consider a great camping experience due to the high density of cramped campers. We always jokingly ask ourselves when we see super cramped CG’s.  Could they squeeze at least one or two more campsites in between the existing sites? 🙄😂

• Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

I'd add that I've generally found that KOA amenities are amongst the best for that type of campground.  However, their prices are also generally right up there at the higher end of the local scale.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"