Anyone had problems with their door keyless lock number plate breaking

Not really a big problem, but our keyless door lock plastic number plate broke, I assume from the sunlight, or maybe during the big freeze here in Texas it broke them. I ordered another one from RV Lock and they are $11.99 if you ever need one. They just stick on the outside, no need to take anything apart, just pull off the old one and stick on the new one.

trainman

• Thanks 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

1 hour ago, Trainman said:

Not really a big problem, but our keyless door lock plastic number plate broke, I assume from the sunlight, or maybe during the big freeze here in Texas it broke them. I ordered another one from RV Lock and they are $11.99 if you ever need one. They just stick on the outside, no need to take anything apart, just pull off the old one and stick on the new one.

trainman

I ordered a replacement plate.  $17 with shipping is a bit steep for something that apparently doesn't last very long.  The negative reviews on Amazon say the plate has a very short life expectancy...but I drank the kool aid and I'm pleased.  Easy install.   Hopefully, it won't crack again.   

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"

• Moderator+
5 hours ago, csevel said:

...but I drank the kool aid and I'm pleased...

In the interest of complete fairness to Kool-Aid:

Flavor Aid is a non-carbonated soft drink beverage made by The Jel Sert Company in West Chicago, Illinois. It was introduced in 1929. It is sold throughout the United States as an unsweetened, powdered concentrate drink mix, similar to Kool-Aid brand drink mix. The drink became linked to the Jonestown mass murder-and-suicide when it was learned that the cyanide poison taken by or forcibly administered to the commune's members was placed in Flavor Aid. Large barrels filled with the grape variety, laced with the cyanide and a variety of tranquillizer drugs, were found half-consumed amidst the hundreds of bodies. Kool-Aid, rather than Flavor Aid, is usually erroneously referred to as the drink used in the massacre, most likely due to it having become a generic trademark. The association with Kool-Aid has spawned the figure of speech "drink the Kool-Aid" but is regarded by some sources as a factual error.

And now, back to our regular thread...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Can you apply a UV protectant to slow down the damage? 303 seems to be the one that is most hyped, I have tried it and it seems like Armorall, I am not at all impressed. OTH this is terrific and I use it mostly as a tire dressing and to wipe down rubber and plastic parts in the engine bay to keep them looking new... It does not stay shiny and become a dust magnet like silicone based products. 

03D1E275-E80B-43F7-B60A-6D782057DA8A.thumb.png.7cb86993261192d207087bb7dd454491.pnghttps://www.griotsgarage.com/product/vinyl+rubber+dressing.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=Search

I highly HIGHLY recommend it, I just don’t know if it will help the keyboard cracks…. If that is due to the manufacturer’s poor design or his material choice, it may be like putting lipstick on a pig.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 2 months later...

YES, we have this problem in less than one year since delivery.  

i would attach a picture; however then you could figure out what our door combo is...

we will order a new cover when we return home for the season, and maybe start using a UV protectant.

Bryan - Out

• Like 1

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

On 8/3/2021 at 7:02 AM, John E Davies said:

Can you apply a UV protectant to slow down the damage?

I don't know but that's what I've been trying after reading of these plates getting degraded fairly quickly. I think the challenge is making a membrane style keypad that will truly last outdoors. There are other button designs that would be more robust but that would cost a lot more to make too. When I worked for a company that designed and built interactive museum exhibits we used catalogs with various types of buttons and joysticks and other interface hardware that met either military spec or traffic/street grade spec (think buttons to activate a crosswalk light for instance) and that stuff is NOT cheap but it lasts well even with kids doing the crazy stuff kids do. Whereas when we tried using buttons made for pinball machines (which we *thought* would be super robust based on our experiences playing pinball...) we had clients like the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans (great zoo btw since they totally redid it some decades back) where the kids would snap the buttons off w/in a day or two of reinstalling them. Membrane type keypads only worked well in super low use places with docile visitors. They just shredded pretty quickly, even indoors with just lots and lots of button presses.

• Thanks 1

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709