The cost of doing too many "mods" - the Overlanding Syndrome.

John E Davies

I am not referring to member Overland, though I bet he has spent even more than I have on his Ollie and Raptor, but to the huge financial hole you dig for yourself when you transform an off-the-shelf truck into a capable overlanding/ adventure vehicle. It is way more costly than doing the same for a motorcycle, that term is "fully farkled" 

F.A.R.K.L.E. -- Fancy Accessory Really Kool Likely Expensive

I keep track of everything I do to "Mouse" in a road travel log/ service spreadsheet ... https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2774-how-to-davies-rv-travel-log-service-inventory-spreadsheet-excel-numbers/  ....  mostly for when the time arrives to sell him; for that I created a simple "For Sale" doc that lists everything, as it might appear in a classifieds ad. I have resisted until today in adding everything up. I knew it would be pretty high. An RV is not as bad as a boat AKA "Hole In The Water That you Throw Money Into", but still.... this excludes any labor time, it is parts only.... nor does it include any special tools or materials that were needed.

140416387_ScreenShot2021-08-06at9_39_43AM.thumb.png.cd3f6007a9f3b3ca5f0ab3c602426f4b.png

If you would like to see the entire doc, for entertainment purposes, or if you would like to use it as a template to make your own sales ad, feel free:

**2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II “Mouse” Hull 218 FOR SALE Info Rev 08:06:21.pages.zip

FYI, I do not have any plans to sell "Mouse" any time soon, and please do not tell my wife about this thread.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

There's not really anything about buying, maintaining, or using a travel trailer that is financially responsible.  My advice is to spend what you want, not more than you can afford, and enjoy your trailer.  If you want to save money, forgo the trailer entirely - $70,000 pays for a lot of hotel rooms.

• Like 7

Unfortunately I’m always trying to perfect/customize everything I buy, especially hobbies/toys. Trying to avoid the F’s because I don’t like to rent…However, the force is strong and I’m well on my way down the spiral.  Thought I was safe with an RV, I guess not. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Some of us mod because we want to. Others don't.  That's ok, too.

It's really up to you.

In our 14th season, some things have (unsurprisingly) needed replacement.  Others, our choice.

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I did the same thing with my Casita (OCD) by keeping a spreadsheet of what I was actually spending on my hobby.  I came to be known locally (our tiny OH rally) as the 'Mod Queen'    I didn't do it for notoriety but to substantiate my selling price if I were to sell.  It worked well in my sale but also allowed me to share all I learned by logging websites, videos and sources to share with others.  I haven't done it with the ILOVHER because I'm fairly sure this is will be my forever trailer!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"

• Moderator+

I shudder to think of the $$$$$$$$$$$ we've spent over the past 14 years on two different Oliver's and five different tow vehicles. Saying nothing about all the mods to both trailers and the five trucks.

Aw hell, it's only money and you can't spend it after you're gone.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

10 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

I shudder to think of the $$$$$$$$$$$ we've spent over the past 14 years on two different Oliver's and five different tow vehicles. Saying nothing about all the mods to both trailers and the five trucks.

Aw hell, it's only money and you can't spend it after you're gone.

Add up the RV's, motorcycles, boats, and associated hardware and soon your talking real money. Please don't mention the added $$ spent "improving"   -- that makes it look really stupid.  There was this one race bike, well... never mind. 

But - in almost every case -I would do it all over again. 

Our Oliver experience was certainly one of the better value plays overall. I never really tallied the costs and time/labor ( I'm not a fan of Horror moves) - but after 3 years of great experiences, and resale to a wonderful couple - we felt like it was a bargain.  

Of course my daily farm/daily driver is the former TV GMC 2500  -  to replace it - well although it will bring almost what I paid - there is nothing to replace it with - have you looked lately - wow.  - that and I really like driving the beast.

Few if any have passed wishing they had left more  $$ unspent..... 

Die young - as late as possible.

Have fun Oliverites.

RB

A former Oliver caretaker.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators
On 8/7/2021 at 8:31 AM, BackofBeyond said:

Our Oliver experience was certainly one of the better value plays overall. I never really tallied the costs and time/labor ( I'm not a fan of Horror moves) - but after 3 years of great experiences, and resale to a wonderful couple - we felt like it was a bargain.  

We've looked at ours as an investment in memories and fun. 

We'll probably keep our 2008 til "forever." 

If our daughter decides she doesn't want to camp, well, one well-maintained early Ollie will appear on the market. Someday.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 1 month later...

Looking at this from a different direction…a new Oliver order.  The question is decking it out with all the options or buying a base model, ripping out what’s remaining, and build it from the ground up. No reason to spend money on a tv antenna when I really want the TV removed from the unit…

The 15k saved during the ordering process can go a long way on FARKLE’s.  The one big sunk cost is the time it takes to do it right. But in the end I’ve found the items I’ve customized the most are the ones you’ll need to pry out of my cold dead hands. 

• Like 1

So true. We own a small 22 ft day sailor and a 36 foot power boat.  The Oliver is a deal and when and if we decide to sell it at least I expect to recoup a significant % of the purchase price.  The sailboat was purchased used and I am slowly fixing it a little and also expect to get most of out investment back. The power boat not so much maybe 50% if lucky.   This excludes all storage fuel and maintenance which is part of most any hobbies like these.  We enjoy he boats and the Oliver so it is just fine making the financial commitment. At least for now, who knows priorities could change.