Plastic yellowing around window

ChrisMI

Looking at some of the used trailers I’ve noticed some considerable yellowing on 4-5 year old units. It extends to the inside of the trailer around the windows.  Are these pieces replaceable?  Do they become brittle or just discolored?  Mainly just units stored outside?  Has the company changed the plastic in recent model years?  I’m a bit surprised it’s so noticeable on a fleet so young.  In other applications we wrap the plastic in leather but I’m not sure if it would trap moisture around the windows.

• Moderators

We have yellowing on the window door frame, the front jack head, and the exterior outlet cover, all non-oliver . Our unit is stored outside. I've seen others as old with no yellowing, so either they've been painted, or stored inside. 

I think the "frames" you're seeing on the interior windows are the blind frames, which back five or six years ago were a rather yellowish beige color. Our 2008 blinds are a light putty color. The blind frames are a lighter, whiter color in current models. Ours have not become brittle with age, but yes, they can be replaced.

Hull #198 just replaced their beige shades with white. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

On the older trailers the window frames were never white.  Ours weren’t and haven’t changed color since new.  They don’t become brittle.  I think the new ones are white to match the fiberglass.  Yes, they are replaceable.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Here’s a photo of the original light grey, or putty:

88C3D6C2-A3D6-479F-A6C4-E6A978810997.thumb.jpeg.375b32c7ad5eb58f84731a26ab5a0866.jpeg

After that color was discontinued, Oliver switched to the off white, which was much complained about at the time.  I think that the only other choice that Oliver had from their supplier at the time was black, or perhaps a dark bronze color.  This photo is from the factory, so you can see that they had that ‘yellowed’ look from day one:

1FFA94F0-34AF-4373-BF37-455A9D3F3CC3.thumb.jpeg.6a43d527a3950a5d1ce6ff09c2858bd8.jpeg

Around mid-2017, Oliver was able to get a pure white version that matches the interior fiberglass, and that’s what they still use today:

93E6F803-AFA9-4C7B-ADA0-102C10FD5DBE.thumb.jpeg.a429bf9e1d167349409d0bb967a92879.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

• Moderators

Hey, @Overland, where did you find that top photo? That's my 2008, #12, probably in its first month or two.

And, yes, Overland's photos show exactly what I was discussing.  It's just the color of the frame of the blind.Thank you for the great illustrations, Overland. The actual window frame is white metal. It doesn't yellow. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Overland said:

Probably from an old post here. I collected a lot of photos back when we were thinking about getting an Ollie and deciding colors and stuff. 

Thanks for the memories.  

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Some white plastic items that yellow with age take on a patina that is kind of cool.  Like the old "Minute Minder" kitchen timer on our counter, and the pick guard on my Stratocaster.  Window frames in the Oliver not so much.

If ours yellow with age we will likely paint or replace.

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

3 hours ago, LongStride said:

@Overland, what's up with the blue masking tape on the cabinet hardware in the second photo?  Is it just to protect the finish during storage?

The statement of day 1 might mean close to the day they were installed on the assembly line…could be a production line photo. 

The blue tape is for protection during manufacture, the same can be said for the white peel-off film on the cabinet doors, which may be mirrored. Plus the taped down foam pads on the horizontal surfaces. As are the production workers and other trailers visible through the windows, that is a pretty strong strong hint that this is on the production line, not in storage. 🙂

BTW "Mouse" has those ugly yellow frames, I hate them but not enough to replace them, maybe one day I will coat them with Krylon Fusion All-In-One https://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-allinone/ in a color that coordinates better with my interior colors. It might require completely disassembling them, and I am not sure it is worth the effort. How well would a vinyl wrap work?

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

7 hours ago, John E Davies said:

The blue tape is for protection during manufacture, the same can be said for the white peel-off film on the cabinet doors, which may be mirrored. Plus the taped down foam pads on the horizontal surfaces. As are the production workers and other trailers visible through the windows, that is a pretty strong strong hint that this is on the production line, not in storage. 🙂

BTW "Mouse" has those ugly yellow frames, I hate them but not enough to replace them, maybe one day I will coat them with Krylon Fusion All-In-One https://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-allinone/ in a color that coordinates better with my interior colors. It might require completely disassembling them, and I am not sure it is worth the effort. How well would a vinyl wrap work?

John Davies

Spokane WA

I hate mine too but I'm lucky that my counters are more ivory so it's not as distracting.  Someone here recently painted theirs with Krylon, but it looked to be quite the job.  The frames look easy but not the interior parts.  

I also read that total replacement is somewhere in the $500 to $700 range.  Too expensive for my taste.  

Let us know John if you ever tackle it; if anyone can do it, it's you!

• Like 1

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"

• Moderators
15 hours ago, csevel said:

Someone here recently painted theirs with Krylon, but it looked to be quite the job.  The frames look easy but not the interior parts.  

I think a couple other members may have painted the frames, as well. Windwalker doesn't drop by much, as he sold his Oliver some time ago.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4