Maxx Air Fan quit or did it

Pat Maundrell

On our last camping trip the Maxx Air Fan quit 2 seconds after I turn it on, and the Green Light stayed on.

Here are the details, I turned the Maxx Air on exhaust and  it started to open the lid, but then everything stopped. The Green Light stayed on but the Bath Fan stilled worked, both Fans are on the same circuit! I couldn't turn the Fan Off no matter what I did. Both the Fan Switch and the Remote Control didn't change anything, the Green Light just stayed lite! I searched the forum and the internet, but didn't find much help. I was almost at my Wit's End, when I decided to remove the Fan's Fuse (7.5 amp), in the Attic and replace the Batteries in the Remote Control to see what impact this would have.

Much to my surprise, the Maxx Air Fan came back to life! I guess I rebooted the electronics.

Any other thoughts. 

My best guess is your circuit board is fouled with moister. I have gone through 3 circuit boards before finding this you tube post. in my case i installed a new board but coated with a liquid conformal  coating before installation.  so far so good..  

• Like 2

2016 Legacy Elite II, Twin Beds, Hull #124

Tow Vehicle: 2019 Ford F250 4x4  / Short Bed / Crew Cab / 6.7 Diesel

Fieldbrook, Ca

The fan has a very poor design, it appears to me that there was zero consideration given for making sure any moisture coming in the top opening has ways to get out, instead of pooling up on top of the electronics and in various nooks and crannies. I added a dozen drain holes, plus sealed wires and screws in a few places….

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/4003-how-to-maxxfan-remove-and-service-preventive-maintenance-to-avoid-water-damage/

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

When we purchased our trailer new in 2019 the fan gave us problems almost within the first month, or so. You would turn it on with the remote and it would run for 15/20 seconds and then shut down and the green light would come on. The only want to get it going again was to pull the fuse and it would reset itself, but, but then the fan would just shut down again as it did before. Oliver service sent my new control electronic parts several times, but nothing would correct the problem, finally I told them to just send another compete fan and I would install it myself, as I did. The new fan worked as it should and we have had no problem with it so far. Oliver service thinks the problem was in the motor internally as there was nothing else to replace, I returned the fan to them and they never let me know what the problem was, I assume they sent it back to Maxxfan and they were reimbursed for it. 

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

My local RV repairs guys told me our local high humidity causing condensation shorts the circuit board. The circuit board that came the fan and the replacement circuit boards I have purchased from Etrailer are not coated to protect them from moisture. It's just a matter of time before moisture will foul the board without a conformal coating to protect the circuits. Like i stated before, I went through three circuit boards.  The last board I replaced, I painted it with conformal coating. It's still early in the life of the new  board but I'm feeling like this will solve the issue or water shorting the circuits and the fan going haywire.

https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Premium-Acrylic-Conformal/dp/B07B8RY7M6/ref=asc_df_B07B8RY7M6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312443844861&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=348473701483492761&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1014226&hvtargid=pla-554140506900&psc=1

image.thumb.png.bf72d9f3f1828d0ce94045d7054ba90c.png

• Thanks 1

2016 Legacy Elite II, Twin Beds, Hull #124

Tow Vehicle: 2019 Ford F250 4x4  / Short Bed / Crew Cab / 6.7 Diesel

Fieldbrook, Ca

Just now, taylor.coyote said:

The circuit board that came the fan and the replacement circuit boards I have purchased from Etrailer are not coated to protect them from moisture

Interestingly, I checked my board which is in a trailer delivered in December 2020 as I'd read of issues and had seen a suggestion to pull  it out and apply  conformal coating. The board on my unit has some sort of clear coating over all  the electronics on both sides so I assume it was treated with conformal coating at the MaxxAir factory. Perhaps they got tired of doing warranty replacements of the board...

• Like 3

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

• Moderators

My fan has worked well since pick up in the spring of ‘16.  Earlier this year the gears that open and close the top disintegrated.  It was a fairly straight forward job to replace them.  I looked at my circuit board but didn’t do anything to it.  It’s been through all kinds of weather.  I might take another look at it when we get home from this trip.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 4 months later...