AH rating for 4x6v AGMs

johnwen

• Moderator+

Four 6 volt AGM's wired properly for the Oliver should have a total of 400 AH of which 200 AH (50%) is usable.

• Like 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

14 hours ago, johnwen said:

Hello all,

I can easily find AH ratings for the Li batteries...390/630.  As for the 4 x 6 volt AGMs I cannot find its overall rating.  2022 Elite 2 model.

Thanks for any help,

John

John,

Follow the link below to 2022 Upgrades & Add-ons. Then scroll down to the heading "POWER". The AGM battery upgrade info is listed there.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/travel-trailers/legacy-elite-2/upgrades-add-ons/

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, bhncb said:

John,

Follow the link below to 2022 Upgrades & Add-ons. Then scroll down to the heading "POWER". The AGM battery upgrade info is listed there.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/travel-trailers/legacy-elite-2/upgrades-add-ons/

Bhncb,

Thanks so much 🙂 I looked and looked all over the site but somehow missed it!

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

• Moderators

So, does anyone know which flooded lead acid batteries are standard now, other than that they are 4 x group 27? It would be interesting to look at the cost per useable amp hour comparisons? 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

40 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

So, does anyone know which flooded lead acid batteries are standard now, other than that they are 4 x group 27? It would be interesting to look at the cost per useable amp hour comparisons? 

I could be missing something but, despite what the Oliver specs say, I don't believe 4 x group 27 batteries will fit in the tray.

Oliver is probably still using the Autozone Duralast brand but; Are there very many LEIIs still being ordered with the standard flooded batteries? Enough to warrant seeking out another source? For me, the cost benefit of AGMs has nothing to do with amp hours but flooded batteries will surely win this comparison by at least 2 to 1. Size for size, an AGM typically has slightly less AH capacity but the usage difference is really only significant on paper.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

There's that thought, @bhncb . We started with flooded batteries, and changed up to agm when we killed the first set, in our Elite, which only holds 2 batteries.  (Originally group 27, now group 31 agm.)

My thought is, fla is included in the base price. Agm is one step up. Lithium a big step up.

There are many factors to consider in making a choice. Durability. Speed of charging. Maintenance. Ventinhg and outgassing. Ease of storage. 

And then, there's amp hours, and depth of allowable discharge. How much dry camping will you actually do?

Kind of dizzying, I think, for some folks new to rvs.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 8/14/2021 at 4:49 PM, bhncb said:

Are there very many LEIIs still being ordered with the standard flooded batteries? Enough to warrant seeking out another source?

If I was to order one tomorrow I’d strongly consider going with the flooded batteries, run them hard, and replace them with a few BB lithium units after a year or two.  If the company wants to drop the flooded great, just add a cheaper lithium option to fill the gap. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, ChrisMI said:

If I was to order one tomorrow I’d strongly consider going with the flooded batteries, run them hard, and replace them with a few BB lithium units after a year or two.  If the company wants to drop the flooded great, just add a cheaper lithium option to fill the gap. 

Well, that was (kind of) our original route. At the time, 2008, most small trailers had only one battery,  group 27 or even smaller. Still common today, in the size of our smaller Elite . We were delighted to have two (2!) flooded batteries,  doubling our reserve power.😄

Florida heat, and maintenance of checking water levels,  moved us to agms when the flooded batteries died.

Two 12v Agms have served us very well. We're on the fence as to whether we "need"  lithium, or not. We'll decide when the current agms give us issues.  

I would love the extra capacity vs space, in our smaller tray. But, realistically,  I doubt we " need " them. My husband wants to do the upgrade. We talk about it frequently.  (At least twice, today.)

We use very little battery power, except for our dc danfoss/secop fridge. We pretty much treat our trailer like a hard sided , comfy tent. Most of our battery power goes to the fridge. Without that, with a 3way fridge, we were golden, for weeks and months on end. (2 x 105 ah 12v batteries ) With the fridge, We're still good, in good weather, or we run the generator when we have to. Depending on the site, shade, etc. Especially weather. 

We've gone 15 or 20 days, even with the 60 amp hour / day draw of the fridge, in good weather, and two days in crummy weather. (!)

With a 3way fridge, running on gas, , never a consideration. (We have 400 watts rooftop solar and 200 portable ) 90 or 120 days without  plugging in, camping .

We try to camp where we don't need ac. We don't have a microwave,  anymore, because we didn't use it. We don't have an inverter. Like I said, we camp, like the trailer is a hard side, comfy tent.

It's all about your comfort zone, where and when you camp. I'm not a desert camper (though we've done it), I like green trees, water views, and moderate temps. The Appalachians are our faves, and Canada, in summer, especially the Yukon.

Big decisions. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

On 8/14/2021 at 3:25 PM, SeaDawg said:

My 2021 Elite II was equipped with the Zamp Solar Option, wth standard, no extra cost  Brightway FLA batteries ( 2), no inverter.  I sold them shortly after delivery on FB Marketplace and replaced with 2 BattleBorn 100AH.   I don’t think Oliver offers these options for 2022.  I’m very pleased with performance of system so far, boondocking most of the time.  

FE1B62D3-D2B6-4BA7-ACC2-E05684BE638E.jpeg

65F34C3E-2D45-457E-A281-7E1FCBB2CCF7.jpeg

• Thanks 1

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

1 hour ago, Mike D. said:

My 2021 Elite II was equipped with the Zamp Solar Option, wth standard, no extra cost  Brightway FLA batteries ( 2), no inverter.  I sold them shortly after delivery on FB Marketplace and replaced with 2 BattleBorn 100AH.   I don’t think Oliver offers these options for 2022.

Interesting, they offer a flooded cell option but it utilizes 4 12 volt batteries according to the option list. Could you fit four of the original batteries you received in the tray or did they switch to 4 smaller batteries?

9 hours ago, ChrisMI said:

Interesting, they offer a flooded cell option but it utilizes 4 12 volt batteries according to the option list. Could you fit four of the original batteries you received in the tray or did they switch to 4 smaller batteries?

I don’t know, I didn’t measure them.   I assume the OTT FLA option includes 4 of these same batteries, but I’m not certain.   OTT could answer that question.

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

3 hours ago, Chukarhunter said:

My 2021 LEII came with 4 of the Brightway flooded batteries.  They fit snug but easily in the tray with enough room for thin padding on the sides. 

It looks like 82AH from the pic above so 328 total AH for flooded, 440 for agm, 390 and 630 for lithium.