Streetside awning option

John Welte

As I understand it,  the 2021 Elite2 comes with the curbside power awning.   I have seen some comments that say that it retracts too easily due to slight wind.   I can see that protecting the awning from damage would be good,  but is there a work around to anchor it better if the wind is manageable or is it not a problem?  One other option is the manual awning on the other side.   I am looking at the options list and wondering if anyone has opinions on whether the streetside awning is worth considering.   I would think that it might be since the sun might be on the curb side at one point in the day and on the street side at another time.   This way you could move your folding chair from one side to another.   Thanks for any comments.   I know that I am asking a bunch of questions in the last month or so. 

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, John Welte said:

I know that I am asking a bunch of questions in the last month or so. 

That's one of the primary purposes of the forum--sharing experiences. Ask away.

We only have a curbside awning, manual, on our 2008. We move our chairs to a shady spot, sometimes, but not often. Usually,  other than lunch, by the time we're sitting, the sun is lower, anyway.

Probably depends on where and how you camp, imo. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Our street side awning is out about 4’ right now. Where we are currently parked the street side is due south. I don’t have to use the window shades to keep the sun out. I use it enough to be glad I have it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #845

We have the curbside awning with wind sensor on our 2020 E2. The sensitivity can be adjusted, so as to keep the awning from “ over reacting” to  light breezes of you desire. There have been occasions when I’ve disabled it, and we’ve deployed poles and lines to anchor down the leading edge of the awning. I do wish the awning had the legs built in to it like the older ones do. We tend to have the awning out  often unless the wind is, or will become an issue. 

I’d consider adding a street side awning to our trailer if I could find a manual one with the legs and optional anchor points located on the side of the trailer, seems like a good source of shade for the windows on that side. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg

I'm sure that if I had the streetside awning I'd think of reasons why it's great, but I don't, so my opinions are just hypothetical.

I went with just the curbside awning because I consider the curbside to be my "front porch". If I'm at a very organized campground that only lets me park the trailer a certain way, they I do what I'm told. Otherwise, if I'm boondocking or at an otherwise "open" campground, I'll stop and look around to see where the sun goes, where the view is, where other campers are, etc., and then position the trailer in just the right way to make me happy. I'll extend the awning, spread out my big mat, set up the chairs, and that's my front porch that allows me to go in and out of the trailer quickly and easily. I only go around to the other side (street side) if I need to get something out of the basement. In other words, I'm satisfied with just one awning because it's on the side of the trailer I would normally use. Sitting on the other side doesn't feel right. 

• Like 2

2021 Elite II #841, 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0 diesel

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Cameron said:

Sitting on the other side doesn't feel right. 

We just went with the curbside awning (old manual Fiama).  The only reason I can see getting one on the other side is to block the sun coming in those windows.  We’ve never sat out on the other side.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

We decided on the street side awning after seeing an unfortunate camper in the Desert View Campground at the Grand Canyon, who was in a pull through site that went off the left side of the road.  That’s a wonderful campground, but it’s tight, and the guy’s only option to set up his camp under his awning was to pretty much camp in the street, which since it was raining, he did.

In more typical campsites or dispersed camping, particularly in the desert, the extra awning allows us to orient the trailer for the view or to suit the site, rather than having to face it south for the sun.  On a few lazy days staying at camp, we’ve done as you suggested and sort of followed the shade around the trailer as the sunlight changed.

But we get the most use out of it as a sun shade and rain shield for the street side windows. I will almost always roll out that awning one or two feet whenever we camp, and that allows us to keep the street side windows open without worrying about rain.

You should be able to add poles and guy lines to the powered awnings. I know at least one person has done that with little modification. You’d have to search for it but it was discussed here and I think with some photos.  Pretty sure it was the Girard awning.  I modified my carefree awning to have the option for stronger poles.  Mine is manual but that wouldn’t have made a difference. Just drilled three holes in the bottom of the casing to hold the pin of some REI awning poles, and I attach ratchet straps to the awning arms.

You also should be able to add a sunshade attachment to the awning, which can act as a hold down as well as a wind break.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cameron said:

I'm sure that if I had the streetside awning I'd think of reasons why it's great, but I don't, so my opinions are just hypothetical.

I went with just the curbside awning because I consider the curbside to be my "front porch". If I'm at a very organized campground that only lets me park the trailer a certain way, they I do what I'm told. Otherwise, if I'm boondocking or at an otherwise "open" campground, I'll stop and look around to see where the sun goes, where the view is, where other campers are, etc., and then position the trailer in just the right way to make me happy. I'll extend the awning, spread out my big mat, set up the chairs, and that's my front porch that allows me to go in and out of the trailer quickly and easily. I only go around to the other side (street side) if I need to get something out of the basement. In other words, I'm satisfied with just one awning because it's on the side of the trailer I would normally use. Sitting on the other side doesn't feel right. 

That makes sense.   Another person wrote that it shields the windows on the street side.   That made sense too.   So many decisions. 

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Mike and Carol said:

We just went with the curbside awning (old manual Fiama).  The only reason I can see getting one on the other side is to block the sun coming in those windows.  We’ve never sat out on the other side.  Mike

The trailer window shades have dual shades,  so maybe it's not necessary.   I am not sure if there's any benefit for keeping heat out with the street side awning.   Maybe with the dual hull,  that's kept to a minimum anyway. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Overland said:

But we get the most use out of it as a sun shade and rain shield for the street side windows. I will almost always roll out that awning one or two feet whenever we camp, and that allows us to keep the street side windows open without worrying about rain.

I can see that as a great reason to have one.   We live in the Pacific Northwest where it rains a lot,  except now!   No rain for about two months now 

spacer.png

• Moderators
1 hour ago, John Welte said:

The trailer window shades have dual shades,  so maybe it's not necessary.   I am not sure if there's any benefit for keeping heat out with the street side awning.   Maybe with the dual hull,  that's kept to a minimum anyway. 

The dual shades help.  When the sun is beating down on the windows there is still heat coming from the windows even with the shade down.  An awning would provide shade at the windows reducing radiated heat coming in the trailer.  We’ve spent a lot of time in AZ and UT and the sun can heat things up even with the shade down.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

24 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

The dual shades help.  When the sun is beating down on the windows there is still heat coming from the windows even with the shade down.  An awning would provide shade at the windows reducing radiated heat coming in the trailer.  We’ve spent a lot of time in AZ and UT and the sun can heat things up even with the shade down.  Mike

OK.   One decision down.   It looks like it's worth it for both rain and sun.   Thanks.   Hopefully the double hull design keeps the inside cooler than other stick built or single layer builds. 

• Like 2

spacer.png

Our 2019 Elite 2 only has the Cube Side Manual Awning, we bought it used, so we didn't have a choice, glad it is a manual awning. However, if we did have a choice, I think we would order only the Cube Side.

IMHO, the Cube Side Awning is as large/popular as it is on most RV's, principally because of it location/usage, i.e. Entry Door, Eating Area  out doors etc. On the other hand the Road Side Awning doesn't need to satisfy these areas, although they could have limited beneficial on sunny days. Most RV's, Trailer or Motor Homes use Single Window Awnings to block the Sun/Rain. The Single Window  Awning design has the benefit of not being as vulnerable to High Winds, I think they look better also! Additionally, the Single Window Awning has the added benefit of blocking the Sun/Rain from entering the Back/Front Windows, if so equipped.

Hopefully, one day our Oliver will have Single Window Awning (Dark Blue) on the Street Side and the Back Window. I was researching these again just this week! As I mentioned earlier, we really like the Stylish Look of these as well as their functionality! 

• Like 2

We purchased our Oliver used with the old style manual Fiama awnings on the street and curb side on out trailer. We have never used the street side awning. We find the front door awning to meet all of our needs.  It's on my list to remove the street side awning so I have less  maintenance for the trailer. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2016 Legacy Elite II, Twin Beds, Hull #124

Tow Vehicle: 2019 Ford F250 4x4  / Short Bed / Crew Cab / 6.7 Diesel

Fieldbrook, Ca

We spent 18 summers on the Yellowstone River, north of Yellowstone National Park and rarely used our awnings, and when we did use them it was mostly in the morning before the wind picked up.  I’m sure there are other locations in the west, and elsewhere. where awning use is also limited.   My suggestion is to also consider where you’ll be using your RV, and how often you’ll use yours awning(s) versus their cost and convenience.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1