Freedom xc vs prowatt

ChrisMI

I’m curious what years Oliver was using the prowatt as a possible inverter upgrade?  When did the freedom XC become an option?  Is the outlet wiring different between the two?  If not do they have an external shore power transfer switch for the prowatt?  I’m not understanding how the outlet can be wired for both the prowatt and shore power through the progressive dynamics unit.

Im thinking the freedom 2000 xc is the best inexpensive upgrade option. However, I’m wondering if the wiring on certain units will be a challenge. 

• Moderators

Does Oliver still use the progressive dynamics? I didn't think so, but I could be wrong. 

Anything I write is a bit of history. 

Older units,transfer switch. Pd converter charger. Separate (heavy) inverter. Blue sky solar controllers.

The prowatt (i think) is strictly an inverter. Would require a separate charger/converter. 

We abandoned our inverter 6 or 7 years ago, as we no longer needed it, it died, didn't feel the need to replace. Anything 110, we charge from the genset.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
On 8/17/2021 at 5:42 PM, ChrisMI said:

I’m curious what years Oliver was using the prowatt as a possible inverter upgrade?  When did the freedom XC become an option? 

When we ordered in 2015 the prowatt 2000 was an option, which we got.  I just replaced it a few months ago with the same thing, as much as we use it I could not see the higher cost of the Freedom.  Our inverter is off 98% of the time.  Sometimes I use it on the road for a quick cup of coffee from our coffee maker and Carol uses it to blow dry sometimes.  

On 8/17/2021 at 6:22 PM, SeaDawg said:

Does Oliver still use the progressive dynamics? I didn't think so, but I could be wrong. 

We have a Progressive Dynamics charger.  I had to upgrade it when I replaced the old AGMs with Lithium’s.

Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Mike and Carol said:

When we ordered in 2015 the prowatt 2000 was an option, which we got.  I just replaced it a few months ago with the same thing, as much as we use it I could see the higher cost of the Freedom.  Our inverter is off 98% of the time.  Sometimes I use it on the road for a quick cup of coffee from our coffee maker and Carol uses it to blow dry sometimes.  

We have a Progressive Dynamics charger.  I had to upgrade it when I replaced the old AGMs with Lithium’s.

Mike

Which pd charger/converter are you using, with lithium?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderator+

This is the one we replaced our original with...

PD4045LICSV

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators
9 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Which pd charger/converter are you using, with lithium?

When we ordered our batteries Battle Born included a PD4045LICSV, just like Steve mentions above.  It’s similar to the older PD4045 except that it includes a lithium switch which the older model didn’t.

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Christi,

Our 2019 had a prowatt 2000, with a separate auto transfer switch, and a pd4000 load center with battery charger. 

When we upgraded to lithium’s we had to swap out the separate inverter and pd4000 charger for an integrated xc2000.

The full story is here:

https://4-ever-hitched.com/ggs-1 blog/f/lithium-battery-upgrade

In 2021 Oliver switch completely to combo inverter/chargers from Xantrex which also caused them to drop the PD4000 load center and start using a pair of static panels, one for ac breakers and one for dc fuses.  Both are mounts below the rear dinette seat where the pd4000 load center used to be installed.

• Like 2

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

Great info, looks like the majority of the used units will have the pro watt system.  The 2000 freedom XC is only $660 ish and seems like a good upgrade path. Looks like the factory switched over to the pro version for ‘22 builds. Not sure what commands the $500 premium for the pro version other than 80 => 100 amps charging potential.  

So it looks like a possible lithium upgrade path for me might be…

Used trailer w/prowatt- Just upgrade the PD charger to the one mentioned above and add a few BB batteries. 

Used trailer w/o prowatt or if I want an all in one unit - Buy a 2k freedom xc and do some wiring along with a few BB batteries. 

New trailer - order the basic solar package, sell off the flooded batteries and replace with a few BB. Should be around $800 over the AGM price doing it this way. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2021 at 1:17 PM, ChrisMI said:

Chris MI:  "Used trailer w/prowatt- Just upgrade the PD charger to the one mentioned above and add a few BB batteries." 

Good summary ChrisMI. 

For my 2018 Ollie, (Used trailer w/prowatt), I would add a Victron BMV-700 Smart Battery Monitor (Includes 250 A Smart Shunt & Smart Display) for about $144.  Not the more expensive Bluetooth one that the young folks would "need".   🙂  

My rationale is that the existing battery charge monitor is worthless on the much flatter SoC curves for the lithium batteries.  

Geronimo John

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg