Door locks

To the extent that all standard RV door latches are nearly identical in design, and probably produced by the same overseas manufacturer, yes it could also apply to Olivers. I don't believe however that the problem is as pervasive as this video would have you believe. Like so much online content, this article strikes me as nothing more than click-bait for a commercial sponsors product. It is interesting to see how nearly identical the Latch.It touch pad featured in the video is to the RVLock product on my LEII.

It is my understanding that on latches where there are two key tumblers, the one for the strike latch handle has a master key capability which enables dealers to use one key for any unique tumbler combination. The supposed fantasy being that availability of these master keys is tightly controlled.

The second tumbler that controls the dead bolt is not master key capable and will respond only to the unique key code that matches the tumbler combination. In the case of the RVLock products, there are 50 some unique key codes so someone would either need all 50+ keys or some luck that one from a smaller selection would be the correct one.

For Olivers, I would be more concerned about the keyed draw latches on the baggage and battery compartment doors. On the other hand, a "key" for these is never further than my tool box.

• Like 2

Unfortunately the master key for all door latches is the large crow bar that can gain access to any rv door. Unlike your door at home with a stronger frame. But still can be defeated.  The Oliver has a aluminum frame around fiberglass. I like the keypad option. I have the standard lock handle  doesn’t cost extra and does the same amount of security for the door.

• Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderators

I figure if someone wants in my trailer a decent crowbar will do the trick.  Why mess around with trying to figure out which key is right?  Brute force is quick and effective.  Not something I spend much time worrying about.  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

The deadbolt in my 2008 is sticking ,again, and I don't want to get locked out. Lubing isn't working. On the list to replace sometime this year. I'll go with the handle lock for awhile. 

I'd rather someone defeated a lock, than broke a window. I don't have a whole lot of interest to steal, in the trailer, anyway . 

I'd miss my hiking boots, though. Ten years old, repaired multiple times. Those, I'd miss. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

I'd miss my hiking boots, though. Ten years old, repaired multiple times. Those, I'd miss. 

Those are the things that have the most value!  You can replace pots/pans/gizmos.  My hiking hat and well worn boots would be missed.  They could steal my TV and it would be no big deal, it hasn’t been watched in a couple of years.  I should just take it out and sell it!  Mike

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS