Towing and sway issues

John Welte

I watched a video of a trailer that was in sway and it caused a roll over of both the tv and the tt.   I keep reading how great the Oliver tows.   Has anyone had issues with sway with their Oliver?   My wife wants an R-Pod but I read that the water tanks are not placed in the best position.   I see so many huge trailers being pulled by what seems small tv's.   This forum has a lot of knowledgeable people so you probably have had experiences with other tt brands before you saw the light and bit the bullet and bought your Oliver. 

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, John Welte said:

I watched a video of a trailer that was in sway and it caused a roll over of both the tv and the tt.   I keep reading how great the Oliver tows.   Has anyone had issues with sway with their Oliver?

I’ve got 5.5 years and 60,000+ miles towing my EII and have never had a sway issue or any other misbehavior.  That’s towing with a 2012 Tacoma, 2016 Ram 1500, 2020 Ram Rebel and now a 2020 Ram 2500 Diesel.  I used the Andersen hitch on the first 3 trucks.  I do not use the Andersen on my new 3/4 ton.  Mike

• Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderator+

I’ve got 12 years towing with two different Oliver’s and with four different tow vehicles. I have never had a weight distributing or anti-sway hitch with any of them. Even during the most violent evasive maneuvers I have never had any sway whatsoever. 

• Like 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

58 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

I’ve got 5.5 years and 60,000+ miles towing my EII and have never had a sway issue or any other misbehavior.  That’s towing with a 2012 Tacoma, 2016 Ram 1500, 2020 Ram Rebel and now a 2020 Ram 2500 Diesel.  I used the Andersen hitch on the first 3 trucks.  I do not use the Andersen on my new 3/4 ton.  Mike

I think I need the Anderson hitch on my 2017 Ford Expedition from what I have read so far.   If I had a tv like your current one I would be OK.   Thanks for your comments. 

• Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

Many people mistakenly attempt to lighten tongue weight by loading their trailer toward the rear.  This is a recipe for sway.  Stay with Oliver's tongue loading recommendations and you will be very unlikely to see any issues, however, if you heavily loat the aft end of the trailer your potential for severe sway increases greatly.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Skibums said:

Many people mistakenly attempt to lighten tongue weight by loading their trailer toward the rear.  This is a recipe for sway.  Stay with Oliver's tongue loading recommendations and you will be very unlikely to see any issues, however, if you heavily loat the aft end of the trailer your potential for severe sway increases greatly.

Is there a way to weigh the tongue weight?   I picture some type of scale where you put the tongue on it. 

spacer.png

• Moderators

You can go to a CAT scale, and take two measurements.  Or,,find a friend with a tongue scale.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Many truck stops have CAT scales. Try to go mid day, when they're not busy. 

That's what we've done. 

It's not difficult.  Look up instructions online, and you're golden.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

46 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

That's what we've done. 

Also, CAT Scale has  a couple of nice apps. Check out: "Weigh My Truck" and/or "CAT Scale". The latter app is newest and has a subfunction link to the the former. These really make the weighing process easy.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, bhncb said:

Also, CAT Scale has  a couple of nice apps. Check out: "Weigh My Truck" and/or "CAT Scale". The latter app is newest and has a subfunction link to the the former. These really make the weighing process easy.

Thanks.   Everyone here is very helpful. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

That's what we've done. 

So much to learn.   I wonder if the buyers of cheap stick built trailers are so knowledgable about the precautions and safety measures needed. 

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, John Welte said:

So much to learn.   I wonder if the buyers of cheap stick built trailers are so knowledgable about the precautions and safety measures needed. 

What you tow is not nearly as significant as understanding the additional responsibilities you're taking on when towing.

• Like 3

I will concur with what Mike and ScubaRX stated albeit with far fewer miles. I'm at over 20K, never any sway even in extreme windy conditions such as 60-80+ mph winds. In addition have made a few emergency maneuvers without an issue. I also do not use anti-sway or WDH hitches with my F150 PU. Cheap stick built trailers are made to a much lower order than the Oliver. 

Legacy Elite II #70

• Moderators
1 hour ago, John Welte said:

I think our group is pretty special, actually.  A lot of intelligent, curious, and caring individuals. 

I also think that the low, flat tanks are helpful, in many situations.  The water weight is spread along the length of the trailer. (We usually tow full, or empty, on fresh water )

We usually tow full, or empty.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Over 100k, no Anderson or antisway. Three tow vehicles. we have an Elite.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

I also think that the low, flat tanks are helpful, in many situations.  The water weight is spread along the length of the trailer. (We usually tow full, or empty, on fresh water )

We usually tow full, or empty.

I try to tow with a full fresh tank.  Like routlaw said, even in emergency maneuvers the trailer tracks true.  We’ve done hard braking and radical emergency turns at speed and our Ollie behaves like a champ.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I’ve only got 3500 miles under my belt and this is my first RV.  I was really worried about towing manners after seeing all the videos about sway.  I have to say the towing manners of the Oliver is one of the most impressive features.  No sway thus far.  I use Andersen with my 1/2 ton and tows beautifully.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package 

2 hours ago, SeaDawg said:
3 hours ago, John Welte said:

I think our group is pretty special, actually.  A lot of intelligent, curious, and caring individuals.

I read that the people who own Olivers are a close knit group and from what I have seen so far that seem to be the case. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

spacer.png

I should probably clarify that I wouldn’t recommend towing your Ollie at 90 mph. But I did look down once while not paying attention and saw that number - and then slowed down.  My experience though is that the trailer tows very well at any legal speed limit. 

• Like 7

Its also worth pointing out that most newer trucks and SUVs equipped with a towing packaging have electronic computer controlled anti sway built into the system and they work very well based upon my experience. This isn't to say the Oliver doesn't track well, it certainly does, just pointing out there are built in transparent systems that help with safety in this area. I suspect adding a mechanical system to a vehicle already equipped with electronic computer controlled anti sway might confuse or hamper the effectiveness it. Just a thought.

• Like 2

Legacy Elite II #70

• Moderators
1 hour ago, routlaw said:

Its also worth pointing out that most newer trucks and SUVs equipped with a towing packaging have electronic computer controlled anti sway built into the system and they work very well based upon my experience. This isn't to say the Oliver doesn't track well, it certainly does, just pointing out there are built in transparent systems that help with safety in this area. I suspect adding a mechanical system to a vehicle already equipped with electronic computer controlled anti sway might confuse or hamper the effectiveness it. Just a thought.

Good point.  It was explained to me that if the mechanical system keeps sway down the electronic system on the truck won’t do anything.  If for some reason the mechanical system fails the electronic system reacts.  I can’t vouch for the validity of that but most new half tons will have the anti sway and folks still use an anti sway hitch.  It would be nice if there was something definitive on this issue.  Mike

• Like 4

• Moderator+

Can anyone state that they have had, or know of an instance where someone else has had, sway while towing an Oliver?

I can not remember anyone on this forum ever mentioning it in the past 13 years.

My personal experience is never any sway, no matter what.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

30 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

Can anyone state that they have had, or know of an instance where someone else has had, sway while towing an Oliver?

I can not remember anyone on this forum ever mentioning it in the past 13 years.

My personal experience is never any sway, no matter what.

You have been towing an Ollie for years.   That's a great endorsement.   Thanks. 

• Like 1

spacer.png