Help Converting to Nature head Composting Toilet.

2008RN

After waiting 3 month for my natures head toilet, I 'm now starting the conversion. I removed the toilet.  But now I'm scratching my head how to get the mounting collar off of the Black tank.  I have read that you can remove the waste plumbing and put a cap on the tank.  I was able to twist and pry the collar up about a half inch which took over 1 hour worth of work to get it this far.  I was hoping  the collar was screwed into a fitting, but it does not to appear to be.

I have tried to access the top of the tank from the kitchen seat, and from inside the bathroom cabinet.  There is not enough room to get my fingers on to the top of the tank. 

Any help/ideas?

IMG_0690.jpeg

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCS334B-Brushless-Tool-Only/dp/B07JPFHQKG/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=dewalt+jigsaw&qid=1629713493&sr=8-3

Cut a larger round hole around the flange with a fine blade, not a wood blade. The regular toilet is not supported by the floor right at that location, nor is the NH toilet.

I love Dewalt tools, but I have reservations about the more expensive barrel grip jigsaw. It is lovely to use but overheats and shuts off very quickly, maybe the standard one is better. But for quick holes it is perfect.

Please don’t lay steel tools directly on the gelcoat, that scratches it! Use the heavy 3M blue masking tape (not duct tape - too sticky) at the area you are cutting, and put down an old towel or some scrap cardboard where you put your tools. Vacuum very often. If you can, set up your shop vac so the hose is right there at the cut and leave it running while you are generating dust - it tends to drift everywhere otherwise. CAREFULLY sand the cut with 80 grit paper and wear disposable gloves - the glass shards will break off in your fingers and since they are glass and transparent they can be horrible to remove, unlike a wood splinter. Been there, it is not fun…. A dust mask is advisable but not at all necessary if you have the vac going.

Don’t forget to disconnect and cap the fresh water line under the sink, that will save winterization hassles. Remove the ball valve entirely so the floor is clear back there. Glue down a white plastic hole plug. Or leave that circuit in place if you think a future owner might want it. But I would take it out and put the parts in a big zip bag along with the old flush toilet parts.

Have fun. Overland took his tank out completely and chopped a huge hole in the floor for storage, I am sure he will chime in here.

This is optional but I do recommend that you remove the black flush line and fittings, unless you plan to repurpose the tank for additional grey water storage (transfer it in with a portable 12 volt pump.) 

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/5272-how-to-flat-foam-storage-tray-for-the-front-dinette-seat-compartment/

Edit, I have been wondering how to cut the flange off. This should work.

https://www.amazon.com/Survival-Stainless-Cutting-Emergency-Chainsaw/dp/B07V6NVL86/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=camp+cable+saw&qid=1629717008&sr=8-3

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

5 hours ago, John E Davies said:

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCS334B-Brushless-Tool-Only/dp/B07JPFHQKG/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=dewalt+jigsaw&qid=1629713493&sr=8-3

Cut a larger round hole around the flange with a fine blade, not a wood blade. The regular toilet is not supported by the floor right at that location, nor is the NH toilet. love Dewalt tools, but I have reservations about the more expensive barrel grip jigsaw. It is lovely to use but overheats and shuts off very quickly, maybe the standard one is better. But for quick holes it is perfect.

Please don’t lay steel tools directly on the gelcoat, that scratches it! Use the heavy 3M blue masking tape (not duct tape - too sticky) at the area you are cutting, and put down an old towel or some scrap cardboard where you put your tools. Vacuum very often. If you can, set up your shop vac so the hose is right there at the cut and leave it running while you are generating dust - it tends to drift everywhere otherwise. CAREFULLY sand the cut with 80 grit paper and wear disposable gloves - the glass shards will break off in your fingers and since they are glass and transparent they can be horrible to remove, unlike a wood splinter. Been there, it is not fun…. A dust mask is advisable but not at all necessary if you have the vac going.

Don’t forget to disconnect and cap the fresh water line under the sink, that will save winterization hassles. Remove the ball valve entirely so the floor is clear back there. Glue down a white plastic hole plug. Or leave that circuit in place if you think a future owner might want it. But I would take it out and put the parts in a big zip bag along with the old flush toilet parts.

Have fun. Overland took his tank out completely and chopped a huge hole in the floor for storage, I am sure he will chime in here.

This is optional but I do recommend that you remove the black flush line and fittings, unless you plan to repurpose the tank for additional grey water storage (transfer it in with a portable 12 volt pump.) 

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/5272-how-to-flat-foam-storage-tray-for-the-front-dinette-seat-compartment/

Edit, I have been wondering how to cut the flange off. This should work.

https://www.amazon.com/Survival-Stainless-Cutting-Emergency-Chainsaw/dp/B07V6NVL86/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=camp+cable+saw&qid=1629717008&sr=8-3

John Davies

Spokane WA

John, 

I was looking at your posting on the NH install. The  exhaust  tubing flange I received is flat on one side and has the hub on the other for attaching the tube.  Is the the same flange that you have? Did you pipe into the plumbing exhaust? if how?

The tubing fits a 1-1/4" white PVC pipe.  I was going to Tee into the trailer waste exhaust ABS with the white PVC.  I could cut a 1-3/4" hole in the side of the cabinet and then chalk back around the PVC pipe (1.675 OD).  It isn't  the cleanest install with the PVC pipe, but I couldn't figure out how to make the install work with the flange they sent me. 

Edit, Added picture:

IMG_0693.thumb.jpeg.015bb2b1720b061708d0a59ebfe2a098.jpeg

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

This is how mine works.  Oliver did the original install, but I had to redo the cabinet connections for another project.  Anyway, it looks like there's either a different through-wall fitting, or Oliver used one each side and drilled through to attach them with some (very long) bolts.  

IMG_1059.thumb.jpeg.3ac871e8562eb9473314b0aa2b794458.jpegIMG_1058.thumb.jpeg.05e135e423fe2cde864586020cc6ebf9.jpeg

• Moderators

I do not have a composting toilet so there is a lot about them that I don’t know.  But the one thing I do know and that’s the exhaust tubing is the ugliest thing in an Oliver.  I always thought that if I moved to a composting toilet, I would try running the tubing through the floor and over to the vanity.  Now I’ll ask if that’s even feasible?  Looking at Overland’s pictures, I can’t tell if there is room to run the tubing along the grey water drain pipe back below the toilet.

Mossey

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators
10 hours ago, John E Davies said:

I often resorted to a piece of common nylon cord and 2 sticks for handles to cut PVC pipe that was inaccessible to saws or cutters.  It’s not easy but it is doable.

Mossey

1 hour ago, mossemi said:

I do not have a composting toilet so there is a lot about them that I don’t know.  But the one thing I do know and that’s the exhaust tubing is the ugliest thing in an Oliver.  I always thought that if I moved to a composting toilet, I would try running the tubing through the floor and over to the vanity.  Now I’ll ask if that’s even feasible?  Looking at Overland’s pictures, I can’t tell if there is room to run the tubing along the grey water drain pipe back below the toilet.

Mossey

There's certainly room to snake the hose under the floor and up, but only if you remove the black tank like I did.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Overland said:

There's certainly room to snake the hose under the floor and up, but only if you remove the black tank like I did.

Thanks Overland!  I’m not sure I’m up for arthroscopic surgery on the black tank.

Mossey

• Like 1

2008RN:

My Natura's Head Composite Toilet (NHT) was installed by the factory when the Ollie was built in 2018.

This first picture is showing the vent pipe from the NHT going into the sink vanity. Although I did not take the sink vanity apart to see the interior piping, It must travel up to the top of the sink vanity as it crosses over to go into the closet, as the vent pipe in the closest is even with the top portion of the sink base. The vent connection to the toilet is removable so you can remove the toilet base for cleaning. The DC power line is zip-tied to this vent pipe.

555371753_NHTinBathroom.thumb.jpg.e045baab0267b546a447eaf1b4da7051.jpg

This next picture shows the vent piping coming into the closet, using a 90 degree elbow and running horizontally to the front of the closet.

1251232343_MHTHorizinCloset.thumb.jpg.37e2c2141472828577766d25a2f1f2cb.jpg

This last picture shows the vent piping going vertically and out through the roof.

1479158027_NHTVerticalinCloset.thumb.jpg.8a49afc8b6e63955c71566b5e4a1190c.jpg

Hope this helps.

Have fun with the install.

• Thanks 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine