Rear Window Difficulty

I'm having trouble with my rear window.  More specifically the screen doesn't slide very well.  My wife remembers that during our orientation we were told that the back window isn't useable.  It's only a second form of egress.  I might have been looking at something underneath the trailer during this part of the discussion.

Couple of questions:  Does (or should) the rear window operate the same way the others do in terms of functionality?  The red handles appear to impede the screen opening and closing and the screen doesn't close completely due to either the red emergency handles or a small metal clip in the track where the glass window slides.  When I looked at the side windows the screens sit on top of a black "track" and the rear window screen does not have this.  Is this missing from my rear window or is it supposed to be different from the other windows?  I cannot close the screen completely but I think I should be able to.  Ideas on what might be wrong?  

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

• Moderators

The back screen attaches differently than the larger side screens.  The back screen has four little clips that attach to the window frame.  It doesn’t really slide.  The side screens have a compressible piece that fits inside the window track allowing it to slide.  You can see the difference if you look closely at how they attach.  I remove and clean the screens a few times a year while I clean out the window tracks, you get used to taking them out and putting them back in.  Mike

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Since this is a "Emergency Window" how does that work in regards to the screen?

Does one simply open the two latches on the side and the window and screen opens so you can get out. I plan to try this soon before our next trip.

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

9 minutes ago, dewdev said:

Since this is a "Emergency Window" how does that work in regards to the screen?

Does one simply open the two latches on the side and the window and screen opens so you can get out. I plan to try this soon before our next trip.

Yes that’s right. The whole window hinges up, frame and all.

Personally, I wish that Oliver would just make the rear window a fixed, single pane unit. The extra ventilation isn’t needed and a single light picture window would make for a much nicer view out the back.

I’ve posted before that we removed our screen after delivery and every time we take the trailer in to Oliver, they add it back. I think I have three in a box in the basement. Sort of like the screws that hold the access panels shut. Every time I leave Oliver I’ve got a new set of screws to remove. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

The older units, like our 2008, have an awning window. Same  sort of clip/spring attachment for the screen 

Pros and cons:

Pros:

Full view, no divider.

Rain sheds off the awning window, so we can leave it open in the rain .

Cons:

No weepholes, when closed. Ev gutter is an important addition. 

Folding Mechanism for holding window out  is a bit fragile . Don't force it. It allows about 4" at the bottom, which gives plenty of airflow. 

We can only use privacy blind, one way. (No day /screen shade)  Emergency exit handle is a stopper, allows light in about 1/2 inch, at the bottom,  in the morning.  I stuff pipe insulation into the space, to close the blind completely.  I am particularly sensitive to light. Doesn't bother my husband, at all. I think his eyelids must be thicker. 😄

The spring mechanism is a safety feature, on the the screen. Hit it with your fist,, and it will pop out. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I've actually thought about reversing the day/night at the back window. We rarely camp where we need the privacy of the day shade. Just don't want to be awakened at 6 am, in summer.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
10 hours ago, dewdev said:

I plan to try this soon before our next trip.

As has been mentioned a number of times on the Forum - everyone SHOULD  know how to operate this emergency exit window just in case.  I open and close mine at least a couple of times per year and find that the window wants to "stick" if I don't keep it clean around the frame.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"