Modified my wife’s iPhone 11 Pro by driving over it

John E Davies

Needless to say, she was devastated.

E20111B0-1109-43FC-939C-F2106C4F9E34.thumb.jpeg.8e17a16411aa086272d086ad604fb2e2.jpeg

While departing yesterday morning, she was helping me gather up some of the LEGO blocks from under the stabilizer jacks. Ten minutes later we were leaving the dump station, after emptying the grey tank and she exclaimed “I’ve lost my phone! Don’t move the trailer!!!” She was afraid it might be underneath and did not want me to drive over it. She hiked back to our site and found it. Of course, I had driven over it while leaving. It had an Otterbox Commuter case so it wasn’t destroyed, but it was face down, so the super hard Apple glass was driven down into the sharp gravel.

Tears and a hug followed, it is not even paid off yet.

It still functions, sort of, but the screen won’t come alive and obviously she can’t call out or use any touch functions. She does’t use Siri, so she can’t just tell it to do things. The alarm just came on at 5:30 AM and she had to let that run until it self cancelled.

This happened in Prince Rupert BC, on the west coast half way up BC; there are no great resources there to get a phone repaired or replaced with a Verizon one, since all the Canadian carriers are different. We are now in nearby Terrace BC (sizable enough to have a shopping center and a Walmart Super Center) at a municipal CG (quite nice, 4 stars) waiting for “Broken Glass” to open at 10:00AM. It’s an ex-phone store manager who runs a shop from his home and sells used phones. We are hoping he can switch the Verizon SIM chip to a cheap refurbished Apple or Android phone to get her up and running with her old number. I doubt if he has the parts to repair hers while we wait….

Maybe it would, after all, be prudent to have a cheap disposable Burner Phone with a Canadian calling plan when venturing into this country, if only as a backup. We might end up with one.

Update to follow, but we are headed north on the Cassier Hwy to Whitehorse, so it’s going to be “cell phone desert” for quite a few days.

OTH we had a spectacular whale watching trip Sunday, in glorious sunny weather. A few of those pics of the stunning scenery and closeups of broaching whales are still on her phone and were NOT yet uploaded to iCloud because the WiFi was terrible at the CG and we only have 500MB of cellular data daily through Verizon. but she was mostly using her Nikon DSLR, so all is not lost, unless I drive “Mouse” over that too😳😳😳

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Wow 1
  • Sad 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Bubble net feeding. The humpback whale blows a ring of air bubbles to confine a school of fish, then surfaces though them with gaping jaw. You can see the ring.  How cool!

9C9EB3FE-08E8-4899-8DC9-548BBC964117.jpeg.f91e68ded7b3bf90066001b1a0e5c454.jpeg

E28286C6-4FC2-4231-BB66-9AF91E0DDD74.jpeg.a105541d1ac9567eb159262f2fbcf4b9.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 4
  • Love 3
  • Sad 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderator+
3 hours ago, John E Davies said:

...she was mostly using her Nikon DSLR, so all is not lost, unless I drive “Mouse” over that too😳😳😳

How could anyone be dumb enough to drive over a Nikon? Or, better yet, two of them at the same time.

Steve-000 - Img_1482.jpg

Tali-000 - Img_1272.jpg

• Wow 4
  • Sad 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators
6 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

How could anyone be dumb enough to drive over a Nikon? Or, better yet, two of them at the same time.

No comment!

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
9 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Needless to say, she was devastated.

Not nearly as bad as the phone was (I hope)! 🥴

Bill

• Haha 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

8 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

Steve-000 - Img_1482.jpg

Tali-000 - Img_1272.jpg

Good thing you had a third camera to document the event…. You really do haul around everything imaginable in triplicate in that big ol truck of yours🙂

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg

My condolences!  Hope your insurance covers your loss.

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

We lucked out, the Cracked Glass guy checked it out, said, “No Worries, we see that kind of damage all the time. I have an iPhone 11 display in stock and can have it ready in a couple of hours.” He added a screen protector but told us we should not drive over it again….  We had a burger and cruised Canadian Tire for a while, went back and the phone looked great. You could not tell it had been damaged. US$376 total with tax. My wife was delighted. No insurance claim and deductible, and all her apps and data are there. How cool is that?

BTW we made it to Whitehorse YT. Woohoo.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

• Moderators

Congratulations,  on all counts!

In Whitehorse, check out Alligator's grilled cheese, down by the city dock. Pretty park for a walk.  Stock up on groceries at the Real Canadian superstore. Best prices and quality you'll find, for awhile.

I'm super jealous. Our young friends in Whitehorse have a little boy I've not met, and I really miss that town. 

Where are you camping? We've camped a few places outside town.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Thanks for the suggestions.

We are at the swanky High Country RV Park two miles southwest of downtown Whitehorse. It cost C$178 for three nights, full hookups, plus C$25 for three days of unlimited Internet. Unfortunately that crawls to a stop at the busy times. But it feels great after the Cell Phone Desert along the Cassiar Hwy. Tomorrow, Friday, we are going to explore the city, hike some, see the SS Klondike 2 steamer, and take advantage of a dry and sunny day. Saturday will be soggy (0.6” of rain expected) so we will visit museums, do some shopping, and wash clothes here at the CG. Sunday we will head out south via the eastern leg, through Watson Lake and Nelson, then to Prince George and south from there. Depending on wildfires, we have to choose a populated city so we can get Covid tested, then wait for the lab results, then cross over to the USA. We had hoped to go back down the Cassiar, even though it is agonizingly slow and stressful driving, but the weather is being uncooperative.

It is glorious, jaw dropping glacial scenery when the sun is out, unfortunately we had steady rain and fog for two days coming north from Meziadin Junction (turnoff to Stewart), plus endless road construction north of Dease Lake, so the truck and trailer got extremely filthy. Gas was crazy expensive (worst was C$1.79 per liter, US$5.38) and many of the pumps are closed and the towns are obviously in enormous financial distress. All the First Nation towns and facilities (museums, stores) are closed to outsiders. Along Hwy 1 a bunch of the commercial resort campgrounds are closed. It makes finding a spot to stay very challenging, and refueling is stressful when there is one pump with diesel and regular, and a double trailer semi truck is blocking one side for twenty minutes, while six cars and trucks with trailers are jockeying to get the the other side. And it is “Pay Inside Only” (with four people stacked behind the only register). And the next pump is 80 miles down the road, if it is even operable….  My truck is getting really bad mileage, similar to when I am driving those precipitous Idaho backroads, I suspect the gas quality is very poor, even though I religiously use a fuel additive. I am happy to see 10 mpg. Normally I get around 12. With a 25 gallon tank, range anxiety is painful. I do carry an extra 10 gallons in jerry cans and so far have not needed it.

If anybody is thinking about crossing into western Canada, forget it. Wait until next year. Too darned stressful!

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

• Moderators

If you decide to wander a bit up the Klondike highway, there's a nice territory campground at fox lake, 40 minutes north of Whitehorse. Packed on weekends, best to go midweek, if possible.  The usual drill, first come, first serve. $12 cad, free firewood.

Another 20 minutes from there is Braeburn lodge. Their claim to fame is cinnamon rolls the size of a dinner plate. Seriously,  they are, and they're really gooey and good.

We stopped there last trip with a German bicycle camping/riding friend. All three of us shared it, and still had a bit left over.

When you go south, I know you have to look for wifi for your wife, but there are two amazing territory campgrounds along muncho lake. McDonald, and Strawberry flats or fields (forever). The lake water is an amazing turquoise color, like sailing in the Tobago keys reefs, but the scenery, and the water and pebble beach, is crazy beautiful.  Even if you don't camp there, pull in and see them. Take a walk, and a few photos.  So very pretty.

We camped one very, very soggy night years ago at Toad River, trying to drive out of the rain, unsuccessfully.  It was kind of a muddle, didn't get to see the "lake" or any wildlife, but did enjoy breakfast made by someone other than me, and their home-baked bread. Of course, we got soaked getting in and out, but very nice people. They had decent wifi, and power. That was about 8 years ago.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Eye candy….. SS Klondike 2 (the second one of that name) from the wonderful multi-use trail across the Yukon River. We signed up for a tour inside tomorrow, I want to see the steam plant. My wife took this pic with her rehabilitated iPhone 11 Pro; what amazing image quality with that phone!

87C96D99-B431-4D60-8BC8-D1EF0ACF8A04.thumb.jpeg.ffc3cfc2594ffc44c7e9a5cba77a6c4f.jpeg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Klondike

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Looks like a great trip. And that's awesome - I'm not shocked that there are repair folks in such places with stock on modern phone parts that typically need replacing. I wonder how many of them train up on ifixit.com (a great resource!!)

My wife lost her phone recently during bike ride - it fell out of an open saddle bag somewhere along the route. She was going on a multi-day trip to Portland the next day, and the prospect of not having a phone was stressful before a trip. Which made us try to remember how it used to be. You know, before cell phones of any sort. Somehow we managed to travel!! How did we do that???

We started riding slowly back the way we'd come on the wrong side of the road. She was kinda on edge and not making the task any easier so I suggested she go ahead at a decent clip directly to the spot of the one stop she'd made in case it was there, and I'd work back to her. I found it a half mile later and then pushed and caught her right before she got to that spot - which was great as instead of her freaking more because it wasn't there I happily surprised her with a phone that just had one very acceptable hairline crack in the glass screen protector sheet. 

• Like 3

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709