Setting up My Ollie for Inside, Climate Controlled Storage.

We took delivery of Hull #870 this month and we just placed it in storage for the first time.  We were fortunate to obtain, indoor, climate controlled storage, with 20 amp power available.  Considering the fact that I have power available, what would be the optimum set up for storage?  Batteries on?  We have solar, but of course we're indoors.  Refrigerator left on low setting using AC or off with the door ajar?  Vented with some of the windows open or completely closed up?   We're located in the SC with high humidity this time of the year, so We're concerned about moisture developing in the interior.  Right now we have 20 amp power applied, with the refrigerator on low, batteries on and fully charged, and all windows and exhaust fan closed.  Unfortunately, we won't be able to enjoy the use of it again until October, so it will be stored for over a month.  Any suggestions on this topic would be appreciated.  BTW, we loved our maiden trip after delivery and look forward to many more.

A1DCBA37-702B-414F-B49B-2F9F37E15542_1_105_c.jpeg

85A39BFF-D5BC-43C4-8333-6101147DC9B5_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 1

2020 Ford F250, 6.7 Turbo Diesel

• Moderators

Since it is a climate controlled facility I would guess that means that the humidity is controlled.  If that is correct then there is no need for the a/c being on.  However, until you're sure you could get a tub of "damp-rid" or a small dehumidifier.  As far as the fridge is concerned I think your choice depends on how soon you will be using the Ollie again.  At a time span of over a month I always shut the fridge off, clean it and wad up several sheets of news paper and put it in the fridge - this prevents odors interestingly enough.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Besides the newspaper it also helps to keep both the fridge and the freezer propped slightly open (as you mentioned). 

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Your charger should be set to automatically keep those batteries in good shape.  However, I do not have those new fangled things, so, hopefully, someone with more direct experience will jump in here.

Bill

We have this dehumidifier and it works excellent. (We store our Ollie at home with a 30 amp power source.)  It has auto shut off when full and we empty it about every 5 days. It travels with us on our trips. Zero issues with mold or mildew and stores easily in our closet. 

5FDAC563-AC09-45A6-B681-7CF4E4A60350.png

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

What kind of batteries do you have?  If they are AGM or wet cells then I’d keep it plugged in.  We did for 5 years and also kept the fridge running too.  With lithium’s, it’s not recommended to keep a constant charge on them for long periods of time, Battle Born recommended shutting the batteries off if not being used for a few weeks or more.  Without a charge or solar they will discharge over time, so the recommendation is to disconnect them.  I installed a battery cut off switch when I changed to lithium’s.  We now store with no power and the fridge off.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

We have Lithium's. (Lithium Pro Package)  Mike and Carol, We expect to use them in October, so it will over a month.  If I'm understanding you correctly, it is not enough just to shut them off, they should be disconnected at the terminals as well? 

Thanks so much to everyone for the feedback!

• Moderators

When I say “shut off” what I really mean is disconnect.  The battery cut off switch I installed does that.  The Battle Born advisor told me don’t keep a steady charge on them for over 4 weeks.  I don’t know if new trailers with lithium come with any kind of cut off switch.  You could disconnect a negative cable.  Or, if your storage isn’t too far away you could leave the charger off and stop by every few days to turn it on to get some charge in your batteries.  Mike

7659DA4D-A714-49D6-9D5B-0BCFEC0DF430.jpeg

• Like 1

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Thanks much Mike!  Nice job on the shut off switch.  I'm going to install one as well if I have room.  I have 3 lithiums.  I'll check with Lithium Blue to get there take.  Our batteries each have a on/off button on top.  👍

• Like 1

• Moderators

Good idea to check with your manufacturer.  You should be in great shape with the Lithium Pro Package.  I installed two Battle Borns with a total of 200aH.  I was ready to get a third if two weren’t enough.  We’ve been out about 75 days since the install (January) and the two batteries have been plenty, even with all the boondocking we did!  Mike

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SC Lakers said:

We have Lithium's. (Lithium Pro Package)  Mike and Carol, We expect to use them in October, so it will over a month.  If I'm understanding you correctly, it is not enough just to shut them off, they should be disconnected at the terminals as well? 

Thanks so much to everyone for the feedback!

I also have the lithium pro package and was told by Hanna during our orientation that whenever the trailer will sit for three weeks or more we should simply turn them off, using the on-off button on the top of each of the three batteries. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2021 Elite II #841, 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0 diesel