Casper 10” “Element” memory foam mattress (mod)

Patriot

After sleeping on our twin Southern Mattresses in our Ollie, my wife and I both decided that the comfort level was not what we hoped for. We were experiencing pressure point pain in our shoulders and hip joints. We don’t experience this pain on our memory foam mattress at home. After some research, we decided to purchase the Casper “Element” memory foam mattress in a standard Queen size.
We learned that Target is a retailer for the Element. We called our local Target store and found one in stock, asked them to hold it and we bought it.
The element has many strong 5️ reviews so we thought we would give it a try. After the purchase we brought it home and actually slept on it for a few hours on the floor of our home and are very happy with the comfort level, especially no pressure point shoulder and hip pain. Truly a night and day difference in comfort level from the Southern Mattress which uses coil springs.
Naturally we wanted to be sure that this mattress was going to meet our comfort level before the cutting began. (Casper has a return policy if you don’t like the memory foam you can return it). After we were satisfied with the comfort level of the Element the surgery plan began. 
We used our Southern Mattress twin as a template for the radius and marked the foam. Then used an electric meat carving knife to carefully cut the 10” foam in to two halves for what Oliver calls a twin sized mattress. Essentially we made two 30” X 75” mattresses naturally with the radius to fit our Ollie. Choosing the 10” thick Casper Element allowed us to use our existing AB lifestyle fitted water proof mattress cover and fitted sheet and blankets.  (We sold both the Southern Mattresses to a nice couple from Georgia who are taking delivery of their OLEll in Dec).

Happy Camping!
A few pics -

note-
Naturally mattress comfort is very subjective. So what feels comfortable to some may not be to others.

10” thick Memory foam with mattress cover after radius cut-

81EB2B90-26CE-4596-AB1F-E8FD42C50B98.thumb.jpeg.3d6b9ff2ea36ef30f00cf07c2e575afa.jpeg

Memory foam before cutting the radius-

DC4EFCCE-CF1C-4210-AB73-302902C3F772.thumb.jpeg.aa9ad6c49983523a5459e78250b7d0ca.jpeg

3897B82D-D512-45BC-BF37-2B6A5D011036.png

74852A01-DAB3-4B95-94A1-2F631D297FF6.png

• Thanks 3
  • Like 6

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• The title was changed to Casper 10” “Element” memory foam mattress (mod)
26 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Interesting.  Do you plan on cutting the Oliver corner radius yourself?  How thick at these?

Bill

Hi Bill,

I already cut the corner aka radius, it was easy with the electric knife. 
The mattress is 10” thick and the blue cooling foam is on the top side of the mattress that you lay on. It took about 2 hrs to complete the cutting. We already installed the new memory foam mattresses in the Ollie, it’s like sleeping on a cloud ☁️. Very pleased with the outcome. (Note the Southern Mattresses were 8.5” in thickness.)

-David

• Like 6

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

That looks great. nice work.

More importantly,  glad you are comfortable!

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

2 hours ago, Overland said:

I don't know anything about the Casper mattress, but I'm a big fan of their pillows. 

I'm impressed with the work - you obviously know how to wield an electric knife.  Great job with the cover also.  

Thanks Overland. My goal was to take my time and complete the task very carefully cutting only the foam and I managed to do so. Now you have us thinking about buying the pillows! 👍🏻😊

• Like 3

IMG_2879.jpeg

1 hour ago, routlaw said:

Curious how heavy are these to flip out of the way to get into the basement areas? Memory foam as a rule tends to be heavy and gangly to deal with. Nice job on the cutting though. 

Thank you. The memory foam is actually a little lighter than the Southern Mattress, but not my much. I have yet to move a mattress that did not fight back a little in weight or size. All in all very happy with the end result. 

• Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

5 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

That looks great. nice work.

More importantly,  glad you are comfortable!

Thank you Seadawg! Like everyone we like a great nights rest! 😴

• Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

2 minutes ago, rideandfly said:

David,

Hats off to a fine job and modification!  :classic_smile:

Bill,

Thank you,, and hopefully a good full nights rest! 👍🏻😴😊

IMG_2879.jpeg

• 11 months later...
  • I was glad to find this post as we want a foam mattress but having trouble finding one we can cut without it containing loose fiberglass which will fly everywhere!  I began searching online and found that Sam's Club sells these for $449 Queen.  Can't wait to try this! Thank you!
  • Like 3

2019 Oliver Elite II, Hull #550  --  2019 Ram 1500 Hemi 7.4L  Big Horn

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Jenna said:
  • I was glad to find this post as we want a foam mattress but having trouble finding one we can cut without it containing loose fiberglass which will fly everywhere!  I began searching online and found that Sam's Club sells these for $449 Queen.  Can't wait to try this! Thank you!

We are very happy with ours, nice grab at $449! It has been a game changer for us, it’s like soooo looking forward to a great nights sleep. 

• Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

We looked into the Southern mattress as well as the KTT mattresses. I decided on the KTT mattresses and bought them straight from the factory in CT in the spring of 2021. I picked them up in CT (closer and less expensive then gonig to Oliver in TN). They do not have any springs in them. I had KTT make the foam a little firmer than what OTT buys. They are very very comfortable and we love them.

• Like 2

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

3 hours ago, dewdev said:

We looked into the Southern mattress as well as the KTT mattresses. I decided on the KTT mattresses and bought them straight from the factory in CT in the spring of 2021. I picked them up in CT (closer and less expensive then gonig to Oliver in TN). They do not have any springs in them. I had KTT make the foam a little firmer than what OTT buys. They are very very comfortable and we love them.

Care to share the KTT factory price? Hopefully much less than Oliver charges? 
Nothing beats a great nights sleep! 👍🏻

• Like 2

IMG_2879.jpeg

8 hours ago, Patriot said:

Care to share the KTT factory price? Hopefully much less than Oliver charges?

Coincidentally, I received an email reply today for my inquiry to KTT:

We have the mattresses to fit the Elite II. The current cost is $700.00 each. We recommend a 36 ILD mattress so its comfortable for sitting and sleeping. That is the firmness we do for all the Oliver Trailers. We have had a few inquiries this past week with others buying the new Olivers. I will get a current freight rate for you and send it Monday. We use a freight broker who sends it out to about a half dozen trucking companies and we pick the best one to ship with.

I replied that I was likely the reason for the latest bunch of requests, due to posting about Oliver not giving the customer a choice in suppliers. I also got the following from Southern Mattress yesterday:

We normally produce a 30" x 75" mattress for the twin in the Oliver, but please check your measurements and we can adjust to meet your needs.  Our mattresses are all covered with a damask material containing a 1" foam quilted into the cover.
There are 4 basic styles we produce:
     5" HD Foam, 2 mattresses $1000.00 (overall height 6-1/2")
     6" HD Foam, 2 mattresses $1050.00 (overall height 7-1/2")
     4"+2" HD Foam with Memory Foam, 2 mattresses $1100.00 (overall height 7-1/2")
     5"+2" HD Foam with Memory Foam, 2 mattresses $1150.00 (overall height 8-1/2")
These prices are mattress only and do not include the 7% NC Sales Tax and the Shipping Cost.
Most of our customers, approximately 95%, prefer the 5"+2" Style. This style allows for one side to be slightly softer than the other and they can be flipped by changing sides on the Oliver.

I'm heading out tomorrow camping with my brothers, but when we get back Friday, I'm going to contact The Original Mattress Factory, who made all of our current coil spring mattresses, about a custom mattress to match Oliver's spec.

The drawing that's been posted is 29" wide, 74.5" long, with a 15" radius. But I've read 30"X75" Is that the tray dimensions?

• Like 3

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

I purchased a 38 ILD KTT mattress and it is fine for sitting and great for sleeping and a little firmer than their standard.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

12 hours ago, Steve and Deb said:

Coincidentally, I received an email reply today for my inquiry to KTT:

I replied that I was likely the reason for the latest bunch of requests, due to posting about Oliver not giving the customer a choice in suppliers. I also got the following from Southern Mattress yesterday:

I'm heading out tomorrow camping with my brothers, but when we get back Friday, I'm going to contact The Original Mattress Factory, who made all of our current coil spring mattresses, about a custom mattress to match Oliver's spec.

The drawing that's been posted is 29" wide, 74.5" long, with a 15" radius. But I've read 30"X75" Is that the tray dimensions?

Thanks for sharing the prices Steve, certainly prices have gone up since we ordered from Southern Mattress. Since SM is located here in NC we had them “yellow freight” delivered to our home and our total cost delivered was $900, I believe $150 of that total was freight. 
Happy Hunting!

• Like 2

IMG_2879.jpeg