Stove won't light . . . . . no LP at burner

No guaranty this will work for every situation, but this is our experience:

2021 Elite II, Nov/Dec 2020 build:

Recently, after one of the burners on the Dometic stove detached itself from the base, we had a new stove warranty replacement.  The stove worked as intended, until the first time out after the installation.  We drove 7 hrs to our destination, traveling over numerous 4-5,000+ elevation passes, arriving around dinner time, only to discover the stove would not light; there was no LP getting to the burners.

The fridge had been operating all day on LP, just fine. . . . . . .There was LP in both tanks . . . . . . yes, they were turned on. . . . . . . Suspecting this was a situation of air in the LP line. we scratched our heads.  Our recollection was that the remedy for such is to light the stove . . . . . hmmmm . . . . . . . that won't work. . . . . . . . . we turned the HWH (standard tank variety) on LP and it started right up . . . . . . good, we have hot water. . . . . . thinking this would resolve the issue, we tried the stove again . . . . . . No Go . . . . . had to cook dinner outside on our portable camp stove.

In the meantime, I posted the situation on the Oliver Trailer Owners FB group. . . . . . Matt Duncan replied right away, saying he would pass this on to Jason (Thank you, Matt).  Since it was past 8:00 in Hohenwald, and Jason wouldn't be getting back to us until at least the next day, we knew we'd be cooking oatmeal outside in the morning. . . . . . . we had shore power so the electric tea kettle and French press would supply our caffeine needs.

When we awoke the next morning it was 38 degrees out, so we started up the furnace to warm up before braving the cold to make breakfast.   Not relishing the thought of going outside to cook, I tried the stove . . . . . Yep, it worked!  I don't know if it was the furnace drawing LP or the previous day's 80 degrees followed by the cold that made the stove behave as it should.  But I was ever thankful that it did since we had no cold cereal in the pantry.  So, add this to your bag of tricks: In the event the appliance that isn't getting LP is the one you should light to get the LP flowing (the stove), try the furnace and see if that does the trick.

Jason did send an email, first thing that morning, telling us the stove is the usual source of resolve for this problem, so he would have Service investigate possible solutions.  I happily replied that we were up and running again.  Another big "Thank You" to Oliver Service, for looking after us . . . . . sometimes I don't know how they do it 🏆

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

I find the cook stove the hardest to light after the gas has been turned off, just like the gas water heater it may try to start 3-4 times before the gas can get to it, or air has cleared the lines. I've had several RV's and all pretty much work the same, it's just the nature of the beast. I have found just because one gas appliance works and has gas doesn't mean all will work, especially on first light up after being shut off. Air in line is probably 99% of your problem. I'd say pretty common problem till all appliances have been used and gas is in the line to that appliance. 

trainman

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

I was told during delivery that best practice to use anything that works on propane in the trailer is to turn the tank on and then enter the trailer and purge the air in the lines by lighting to stove first.  Sometimes there is a fair amount of air.  I run the lit burners a few minutes then shut the stove off.  After that the water heater, furnace and fridge generally light on their first try.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Naegele said:

I was told during delivery that best practice to use anything that works on propane in the trailer is to turn the tank on and then enter the trailer and purge the air in the lines by lighting to stove first.  Sometimes there is a fair amount of air.  I run the lit burners a few minutes then shut the stove off.  After that the water heater, furnace and fridge generally light on their first try.

Same here. I turn the LP tank on slowly allowing LP to fill the lines and have not experienced any issues with LP not lighting.

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

I do as Naegele suggests, especially if the trailer has been sitting a while.  Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 tries.  I am no expert but have also learned that turning on the propane valve slowly helps. Not sure why.  I definitely get the stove running before turning on the furnace.  I am not saying you can't turn the furnace on first.  This is just my routine.  Sorry you're having issues, it can be frustrating.  Good luck.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1