BATHROOM VENT OPENING WHEN ON THE ROAD

Minnesota Oli

I noticed this happening on our last trip. My temporary fix was obviously to stuff a sock in it. 

IMG_E1119.thumb.jpg.4cbb07570dc32290763ccd69f34b1306.jpg

When we were back  home I found that the plastic hood was deformed around the screw that mounted it to the inside handle. So this caused a small air gap around the plastic hood where it made contact to the frame. This resulted in wind getting underneath and lifting it open. The remedy was to use a heat gun and warm the plastic around the screw hole and then form it flat again. Once the plastic cooled off it stayed flat. I then added a flat piece of stainless steel as a back up plate. I did use some silicone sealant between the hood and the plate. So far it has cured the problem.

IMG_E1109.thumb.jpg.ffe42873c37566d5acef53852db0a36f.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 6

• Moderators

Oli - 

The only additional thing I would have done (and maybe you did it but it is hidden under the SS plate) would be to apply a bit of sealant around that screw just to make sure that it would not leak.  Great solution and nice work!

Bill

p.s.  I also liked the sock and stick as temporary fixes.

• Thanks 3
  • Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

We have a microfiber towel hanging in the bath that we use to wipe down after showering.  When we travel, we roll it and put it in the handle to keep it closed when driving.  It works well.  Mike

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Interesting,  as we never had that happen with our older  (2008) ventline vent. It eventually leaked, the handle cracked, but it never came open on its own. I don't remember the little drain hole. Maybe it was in the back, maybe didn't have it . We replaced it last year, with the Maxx dome vent, so I can't check .

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 9 months later...
  • Moderators
9 minutes ago, Steph and Dud B said:

Our 2022 with the MaxxAir bathroom vent pops open on the highway. An empty plastic water bottle through the handle "fixed" it for now... 🙄

I guess that is called "Yankee Ingenuity" in Connecticut.😄

Mossey

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderator+

I guess we never worry about our bathroom vent popping open as many times I’ll leave it open with the rear windows open a bit to let air flow through while traveling down the road. 

• Like 6

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

I use a cutoff piece from a pool noodle, or pipe insulation, works great and does keep pressure on the vent to keep it closed when traveling.

trainman

• Like 4

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2022 at 11:53 PM, ScubaRx said:

I guess we never worry about our bathroom vent popping open as many times I’ll leave it open with the rear windows open a bit to let air flow through while traveling down the road. 

Issue I had, when leaving it open when traveling, is the foam gasket came loose a couple of times.  I keep mine closed now only for that reason.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2017 Oliver with the old bathroom fan that someone said was crap around Tennessee. Mine has a problem and needs to be replaced so I had one sent for installing. Jason said if I install it backwards it won’t come open while driving. It is a little inconvenient to turn on from that direction but eliminates the problem.

He has asked production to do the same but that is backwards.

• Like 2

Initially we never had any problem with the bathroom fan cover on our 2019 Oliver popping open when traveling.  But then the gasket on the fan cover came loose after about a year, and during annual service, Oliver replaced the gasket with a VERY thick gasket material (about 3/8” thick), so that the cover didn’t fully seat properly in the full “down” detent position, and that caused the cover to start popping open when traveling.  I’ve since replaced the gasket on the cover with a thinner gasket material (3/16” thick x 3/8” wide exterior vinyl foam weatherstripping from Lowe’s) and now the cover pulls down into the correct detent/closed position (can actually feel it snap into place) and stays closed when traveling.  

• Like 5

• 10 months later...
On 9/4/2021 at 7:47 PM, SeaDawg said:

We replaced it last year, with the Maxx dome vent

We did the same with our 2017 Ventline a few weeks back, the MaxxAir Dome (w/a cool LED) hasn't opened enroute (yet...) - seems a bit stiffer to open than the Ventline, FYI.

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

On 6/22/2023 at 6:24 AM, MAX Burner said:

hasn't opened enroute (yet...) - seems a bit stiffer to open than the Ventline, FYI.

We're on our 2nd road-trip since installing the MaxxAir Dome fan and just realized it won't pop-up enroute unless the "thumb latch button" fails...  It's the black button on the left side of the push/pull handle in pic below:

IMG_7398.thumb.jpeg.97b25cd3ab0ffe57164c4da707db332b.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• 3 months later...

Maybe this needs a new thread rather than piggybacking here, but I'll throw it out there.

On my last trip I tried to wash the bugs off the front of the Ollie as best I could with borrowed equipment from my cousin. I accidentally bumped the gasket on the bathroom fan opening (the vent was open), knocking it loose. I carefully climbed up and put it back in place, but there didn't appear to be any clips or glue or anything holding it in place. A couple days later I noticed, with the vent popped up in the open position, that  the gasket was again loose and flopping off. I didn't have a ladder so I just closed the vent. The next time I checked, the gasket was gone! Oh boy. So, other than calling OTT for a replacement, any suggestions on what might work in this application, and should I glue it? 

2021 Elite II #841, 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0 diesel

• Moderators

For a time those gaskets were being replaced under warranty.  I'm not sure as to which dates are/were covered though.

Obviously, a service ticket or call to the Service department will get you the answer.

Good luck!

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"