Weep hole issues

John Welte

I was reading a few posts about the weep holes and how they don't always drain well.   I am not an engineer,  but I would guess that if they could be made larger to allow water to pass through the holes and not be blocked by surface tension along with some treatment to the weep hole area to make them more hydrophillic,  that that may help drainage.   I would imagine that OTT is aware of the problem.   Has anyone tried to enlarge the weep holes?   The thought of buying an expensive trailer with this issue is a bit troubling.   I live in an area that has light rain for the most part.   A heavy day in Oregon is 1/2 inch in 24 hours!   An inch and we think we'll all be flooded. 

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators

I’m assuming you’re talking about the window weep holes.  Ours drain fine.  We just spent the last couple of months in the north east and had plenty of rain, no issues.  It’s important to keep them clean, something I do after every trip.  Some put pipe cleaners in theirs with part of the cleaner hanging out to provide a wicking effect.  I haven’t had the need to try that.  I wouldn’t consider it a big issue.  Mike

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Indeed, if you are talking about the window weep holes - simply keep those window tracks clean (easy to do but also easy to forget about) and try to keep your Ollie as level as possible.  We get in excess of 70 inches of rain per year and I've never had a problem.

The other "weep holes" on an Oliver are the "scupper holes" on the bottom of the trailer which allow moisture to escape from between the two shells.  I do not recall of ever hearing of an issue with these.

Bill

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Two weeks ago, we had 12 inches of rain in 28 hours. No issues with the weepholes, perhaps because a few weeks before we a had had a brief rainstorm,  a clogged weep wept a little into the side wall, and I cleaned them all. For the second time this season.

Imo, This isn't really an Oliver issue. It's an rv window manufacturer issue, and not a huge one, just a pesky maintenance issue.

I wouldn't enlarge the weepholes. I'd definitely add the vinyl gutter over the windows, as many of us have done.

• Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I'd admit that light rain may be a bigger issue with surface tension. That's where the inobtrusive gutters keep you very dry.

Or, pipe cleaners...

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

I wouldn't enlarge the weepholes. I'd definitely add the vinyl gutter over the windows, as many of us have done.

I second the vote for vinyl gutters.  They do help.  Mike

• Like 2

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

3 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Two weeks ago, we had 12 inches of rain in 28 hours. No issues with the weepholes, perhaps because a few weeks before we a had had a brief rainstorm,  a clogged weep wept a little into the side wall, and I cleaned them all. For the second time this season.

Imo, This isn't really an Oliver issue. It's an rv window manufacturer issue, and not a huge one, just a pesky maintenance issue.

Do you have the name of that vinyl gutter?   I think that I have seen a reference to that before.   It sounds like that gutter goes over the top of the window to direct water away from the windows. 

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators

The product is EZE RV Gutter.  Use the search function for the term gutter and you will find more information than you need.

Mossey

Edited by mossemi
Typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

Here's my old thread. There are many others.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 2 months later...

I have water dripping slowly down the inside of the rear side window. I checked the weep holes and cleaned the track. Strangely, I did not find any water in the track. Yet it is still dripping after being parked at a camp site for two days…without rain!  It did rain 4 nights ago. Any idea?  

Charlie

Hull 734 - 2021 Oliver Elite II

pulled by F-150

Out of Florida

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Citrus breeze said:

I have water dripping slowly down the inside of the rear side window. I checked the weep holes and cleaned the track. Strangely, I did not find any water in the track. Yet it is still dripping after being parked at a camp site for two days…without rain!  It did rain 4 nights ago. Any idea?  

Are you using your air conditioner?

I like the idea of the EZ gutters but concerned about loosing access to be able to recaulk the top of the windows.

Comments please.

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, dewdev said:

I like the idea of the EZ gutters but concerned about loosing access to be able to recaulk the top of the windows.

Comments please.

Some owners have placed the gutters far enough above the windows so that they still have plenty of access to the caulked area.  I placed mine as close to the window as possible and have never looked back.  Perhaps the gutters give some extra protection to this area but there does not appear to be any sign of degradation of the caulk.  Of course in the event that I would have an issue, my plan would be to simply remove the gutter, fix the window/caulk and then replace the gutter with new - it is not that expensive.

Bill

• Like 5

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Citrus Breeze, 

I believe that the water you are seeing could be interior condensation witch can be caused when the outside temperatures are cold and the inside of the Oliver is warm and humid. . Although we have thermal pane windows the frame is aluminum and it is transferring the cold outside to inside that gives the humid air a place to condense and drip small amounts of water. I notice when camping in the cold and I am boiling water for coffee my curb side window will condense. Now I use the max air fan while boiling water to control interior humidity.

• Like 1

John & Chris Dehne Manchester, MD.  2021 Elite II twin Hull# 901

“Fiberbeergrass” 2021 Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4  Life is good!

Thanks for all the information.  Gutters are on our ever growing list of "projects".  I am sure it's likely already been discussed in previous posts, but I happened across this little hack for helping to reduce the potential streaking from gutter run off.  It was in this video from RV Life with Tito.

1186744055_GutterHack.jpg.63448daef46f491c964878f84db8823a.jpg

May be a good idea, but knowing me, I'd forget to take it down before hitting the road  😲

• Like 1

SE Texas  | 2021 Elite II  Twin Bed # 927  "Lucy"  |  2019 F250 FX4 6.7

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Jim and Frances said:

May be a good idea, but knowing me, I'd forget to take it down before hitting the road  😲

I was thinking the same thing!

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Thanks for the responses.  It's bewildering because I could not see any water inside the track when I pulled the gasket out.  However, I could see water slowly dripping off the top of the Oliver over the middle of my window.  So, that had to be the source.  Only...how the heck did it get inside when there was no apparent water in the track?  

Charlie

Hull 734 - 2021 Oliver Elite II

pulled by F-150

Out of Florida

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Citrus breeze said:

Thanks for the responses.  It's bewildering because I could not see any water inside the track when I pulled the gasket out.  However, I could see water slowly dripping off the top of the Oliver over the middle of my window.  So, that had to be the source.  Only...how the heck did it get inside when there was no apparent water in the track?  

I would conduct a water leak test around the outside light fixture above the window.

Mossey

• Like 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• 3 weeks later...