Victron Cerbo GX

ChrisMI

I’m in the process of bringing myself up to speed with all the different solar/controller/battery options out there.  I’m wondering if any members have considered a Victron centric system that could utilize the Cerbo GX.  Seems like it might make a perfect building block for a new Oliver bringing together all the different systems including tank sensors. It might be advantageous to have a solar controller with 50amp capability and a quieter running Multiplus inverter/charger. Thoughts?

Yes, I installed a complete Victron system at delivery - in my case using the color control GX but that was before the Cerbo GX/touch display were out. I’d certainly go that route if I were doing it today. I believe there is one, maybe two other full Victron Ollies out there now, and quite a few more with bits and pieces.  Individual Victron components are nice on their own, but the kit really shines if you have the Multi/GX at the core.  It’s the best system by a long shot, IMO. There are rumors that Oliver might offer it, but I wouldn’t hold your breath just yet on that one. It would be nice though, and I think they should.

The biggest issue with the Multi is just running wires there and back. You’ve got two options that I know of for placement - Multi in the front dinette seat and batteries in the battery box, or vice versa. Either way, I’d opt for the compost toilet so that you can remove the drain to give you room for cabling. You can make it work with the pipe in place (I did originally) but it will be heaps easier for you without it.

You can see photos of my install here - https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2571-snowball-pt-ii/?do=findComment&comment=34346&_rid=634

• Thanks 2

Very helpful, thanks!  If I do decide to order a new trailer I might go basic with the thought of adding victron equipment later on. What I don’t want is holes in the fiberglass left from controllers I no longer need.  I wonder if the factory/service department would mount the solar brackets and pull the wires for me…

• Like 1

• Moderator+

Scott Oliver and I had a long conversation the other night about ditching the Zamp stuff and going to all Victron. He agreed that it would be a step in the right direction. We'll see...

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

9 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

Scott Oliver and I had a long conversation the other night about ditching the Zamp stuff and going to all Victron. He agreed that it would be a step in the right direction. We'll see...

It would sure be nice to have everything visually integrated into one 5 or 7 inch GX screen.  I wonder if Oliver moved some of the antennas to the back (this might degrade reception) if they could stuff 600ish watts of solar on the front. The array would be 15-20 inches longer. This would be great for running back to the AC’d trailer in the heat of the day to let the kids rest. 

• Moderators

@Overland has 640 watts on his roof. Oliver did this install back when they did more customization. I don't know if they had to move any of the rooftop equipment , but I'm sure he'll know.

Others have added the narrow 80 watt zamp panels to the system themselves, and upped their fixed wattage.

We doubled our wattage on our trailer by swapping out our 2 x 100 watt panels for slightly larger  200 watt panels in our sidemount system. 

So, it is possible,  even with the limited rooftop real estate, to increase solar production. Your trailer may look like a landing strip from above, and you'll probably get some shading from the ac and vents at various times of the day, but it will up the production.

20210907_100312.jpg

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Indeed. We were very careful to remove the vents ourselves, and keep them at home, when we had the dual pane windows removed and repaired this year.

I have no idea why maxxair doesn't make them anymore. They're so nice in the rain. I can keep two sliders open about 1/4, and still circulate air.

I think @csevel kept hers when she sold her Casita, and I certainly would, too!

Once in a great while, new/old stock used to pop up on eBay. Haven't seen them in a long time.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 9/7/2021 at 12:00 PM, SeaDawg said:

Indeed. We were very careful to remove the vents ourselves, and keep them at home, when we had the dual pane windows removed and repaired this year.

I have no idea why maxxair doesn't make them anymore. They're so nice in the rain. I can keep two sliders open about 1/4, and still circulate air.

I think @csevel kept hers when she sold her Casita, and I certainly would, too!

Once in a great while, new/old stock used to pop up on eBay. Haven't seen them in a long time.

If anyone is looking for vents.. There's a guy on the Fiberglassrv forum who has 3d printed a vent in his own design.  If you private message me, I can dig that email/ info up and share.  They work slightly different as they slide into the track and are not permanently affixed like the Maxxair but they come in three colors.. black, white and smoke. 

I certainly knew the vents were the first thing I was removing before  I sold my Casita!  But ~ I will say that eventually mine will need replaced with this alternative, as the Maxx do get brittle.  I have a couple hairline cracks already! 

IMG_9101 (2).jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"

• Moderators

Sending you a pm. 

I don't have any cracks yet, but I wouldn't love rainy life without mine!

Thank you!

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

@Overland do you happen to have any links to past threads regarding your solar setup. I’m guessing 4 of the 160 watt zamp panels?  I’m currently thinking six 100w panels mounted three wide.  This might give me more latitude with voltage options although I’m still researching that. Another option is three 190-200w mounted sideways.  I’m hoping the four factory mount points will support a custom aluminum framework that the panels can be mounted to.

1 hour ago, Overland said:

Yes, here's the original thread discussing the idea, which shows a handful of possible arrangements.

It’s nice to read through the progression from idea to final product. Do you happen to have any pictures of how they mounted the three forward panels?  I have a feeling I’d be lucky to have them just install the mounts. Looks like custom work is not available anymore. 

On 9/10/2021 at 2:26 PM, ChrisMI said:

I have a feeling I’d be lucky to have them just install the mounts. Looks like custom work is not available anymore. 

Service can do that job for you after delivery. The inside aluminum backing plates are already there on all hulls, the tech would just have to precisely locate and drill the holes. However, IMHO the four mounts would be marginal at best to support such a large array when traveling on bumpy roads and with gusty winds.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

IMHO the four mounts would be marginal at best to support such a large array when traveling on bumpy roads and with gusty winds.

I agree especially with the front overhanging another 20 inches. It sounds like they have mounted three sideways zamp panels in the past and the array I’m looking at will be the same size and weight.  I need to really sweat talk Jason (et al) … the unit might spend more time in the service department than on the factory assembly line.