A place to store 12 gallons of water for drinking and cooking

Minnesota Oli

We prefer to bring our water from home which is filtered through ceramic filter. We use 6 gallon jugs to bring a supply of water with and then have smaller glass containers for our daily use, one is kept in the refrigerator  for drinking water the other on the table for coffee or cooking. So to free up some space in the closet I decided to utilize the space under the dinette seating. To be able to accommodate two jugs I would drop the first one in the opening and slide it towards the foot well and then have the room in the opening to drop in the second one in. To accomplish this I had to remove the obstacle which was a receptacle box for the ground fault outlet. I relocated it to the opposite side on the same wall. By the way this was the first time that I cut any fiberglass on my trailer. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I then made a aluminum backer plate so I could use a blank cover on the front to fill the hole that was left.

IMG_E1116.thumb.jpg.fbbbfa22bf9004aeed586b25e3f53970.jpg

IMG_E1113.thumb.jpg.844aa137d7b178a56642313d94cd09be.jpg

My next concern was to protect the insulation on the floor of the compartment, so I decided to fit a piece of quarter inch plexiglass that I had on hand

IMG_E1112.thumb.jpg.a84d9af784b7e5feb78af32db5611291.jpg

The last step of the project was to make a bookend to stop the water jugs from sliding forward. Here I used a short piece of 3/4" foam water pipe insulation and added some pieces of adhesive backed one inch foam to form the back stop, this is slipped over the black tank back flush pipe and butts up against the black water tank.

IMG_E1114.thumb.jpg.8d36f99b5615ab9b6f418d99f848fe9e.jpg

IMG_E1115.thumb.jpg.c30a715d2ff271a1cf86011279076156.jpg

IMG_1127.thumb.jpg.42242d1d8562c69b397ae54e79b3ed5f.jpg

IMG_1126.thumb.jpg.f32dee5fdb9dc23ad49bc6563b372f38.jpg

There was one other obstacle, there were a series of wiring harnesses that came up out of the trough and were tethered with tie straps and screwed to the floor and then went off to various locations I had to undo the tie straps and gather enough slack to move the harnesses back far enough to clear the area where the plexiglass was laid.

What am I going to do with all the extra space in the closet?

Paul

• Thanks 3
  • Like 6

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Minnesota Oli said:

What am I going to do with all the extra space in the closet?

Paul

Your tongue weight just dropped.😃 you'll find something to store there. We always do. 

Looks very nice.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Overland said:

Sounds like more space for wine, to me. 

🥂🥂🥂

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, Overland said:

Sounds like more space for wine, to me. 

We store spare toilet paper and paper towels there….boring.  I bet a compact wine rack might be better.  Lift the seat, get a drink!  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

15 hours ago, mossemi said:

Nicely done but I have to ask, what’s the coiled duct work for?  Is that heat for camping up north?

Mossey

Thanks. I try to share some of my projects to give back to the Oliver forum for all the great info and ideas I have gleaned from it.

To answer your question yes that is part of an upgrade I did to the heating system. Last winter here in Minnesota I was able to test my heating modification in sub zero temperatures. I loaded the Oliver with water and with no added insulation I spent 2 1/2 days in temperatures reaching negative 12 below zero. This was done using only battery and available solar to power the trailer. If interested check out Breaking Subzero | Oliver Furnace Mod under Ollie Modifications.

Thanks Paul

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

• Moderators

Thank you Paul!  
I saw a post this morning about traveling in cold weather and SeaDog responded with a link to your heater duct mod.  After reading it, I realized I missed your original post or maybe I just forgot it.  And I will add that it was very informative and nicely done.

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”