AMAZON.COM

mountainborn

• Moderators

The sugar beet harvest is winding down, and as the end draws near, we began to hear of a inside, out of the weather job, eight hundred miles to the South, in Coffeeville Kansas. After a bit of internet research and a phone call or two, we have it hooked up. Eight hundred miles South means milder weather, which sounds pretty good about now, since we have worked some 19* nights on the beet pile.

All of the paperwork is done, the interviews completed, and we are now officially Amazon dot com associates !

All of the employment forms arrived minutes after our first contact with the prospective employer and we quickly filled them out and sent them back. The end of the work day was at hand so the first thing the next morning, upon checking our email, we had the job.

All that remains is a 800 mile drive, after we finish up the beet pile here, and the orientation at the new site.

We will be seasonal workers at Amazon.com's large shipping facility in Coffeeville Kansas.

GREAT SHADES OF RUBY RED SLIPPERS, TOTO ! WE R' GONA' BE IN KANSAS AGAIN !

Camping fees will be paid at this location also, and we will be staying at the Elk City State Park, a U.S. Corps of Engineers Lakeside campground. After talking with the host there we learned that the new shower house is completed, but the laundry is still under construction.

We will be working four ten hour days, which will give us more time to explore the old historic areas there. The job will be from November the 8th. to December the 23rd. Which means we will have to day trip it home for Thanksgiving, and the back seat will be full of CHRISTmas presents for the trip home at the end of the assignment.

We are excited about this new assignment and are looking forward to working inside as Winter draws nearer.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

A quick video look at Elk City Lake State Park's new Shower and Laundry room. It is one of the nicest we have seen in quite some time ! After ten hours at Amazon, it is a treat to take a long hot shower in this new, clean, well lit and heated facillity. Kudos to the State Kansas for having the needs of workampers in mind for this project ! Sombody had their "thinking cap on" while this one was in the planning stages, for sure.

th_100_0866.jpg

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I don't understand it! I simply asked that my tie-dye camo boxers have an "Inspected by Mountainborn" tag and the price doubled.

Tom

Hey there Tom ! It wasn't the inspected by mountainborn fee that ran your cost up so, it was your specifying the "hot Pink camo" boxers, in silk, so you would feel good all under, that did it. Don't worry, I talked to Santa in person and your feel good all under boxers will make it in time for CHRISTmas !

Oh, geeze, I wonder if this thread will get as wild as the one about the hot tub / stripper pole / pink foamy suds / camo thong thread !

• Moderators

Tom,

Just be glad you're not getting your silk, hot pink camo boxers with at tag that says "TESTED by Mountainborn" :o complete with a middle of the night pole video :shock: to prove it.

HO! HO! HO!

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

To attendees of Chuck n Geris wedding....tye dye is to be worn outside and not be covered by other clothing.

Hot pink silk shorts shud be REAL interesting in camo but plse remember::::this IS a G rated wedding and reception...................but hot pink silk camo sounds way cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

• Moderators

Tom, those fur lined "specials" will be just the thing for our chivaree of the newly weds. It can sometimes get chilly after dark and the fur would be a comforting thing. And, Tom, since the reception is at a public building you will likely have to wear your special trench coat, you know, the one with the velcro rip away panels, over the tie dye, fur lined, little numbers. Don't use the flesh colored trench coat that the park rangers nearly confiscated off of you at Lake Greeson, ( I didn't know that there were so many blue lights in Pike County ), it won't let the pink camo shine at it's best.

• Moderators

And now I'm being reprimanded by the groom before I've even left home.

Oh, Yeah, this is shapeing up to be one of these events that we will be talking about around campfires for years !

• Moderators

Two days of work left here at Amazon in Coffeyville. When we woke up this afternoon the floor of the trailer was flooded because of the refrigerator thawing out. It has quit working ! We have to leave for work in a few minutes and don't have any time to look into it. Settings seem correct though. Suggestions appreciated.

harm & bett

• Moderators

Larry,

We also have a Norcold. Seems like most folks have a Dometic. Please give us a call if you think we may be of help.

Do you have any error codes? With certain codes, you will get locked out, and have to take it to a dealer to get reset if you have reset it more than once. We experienced this with an NC code that repeated last summer. Ultimate resolution was board replacement, after visits to two different dealers in two different states.

Sherry

PS Norcold does not, apparently, pay its authorized dealers very well for warranty work, and it's a good idea to take your refrigerator to a dealer you know, and that has patience. Their customer service, in our experience, was extremely slow, both for us and our local dealer.

I posted about the extended warranty for those of us who have older Norcolds... You would probably qualify, with the proper documentation sent to Norcold. At least in the third year, it covers parts, though not labor.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Our Dometic refrigerator stopped working last year when it was on the electric setting but worked on propane so you might want to try it on propane. The electric heat element had gone out on it. An authorized dealer fixed it but they charged extra because they had to pull the refrig out and it took more time. Apparently if the refrig has to be replaced the wall of the bathroom has to be taken out to replace it. Good luck.

Pam

• Moderator+

Larry,

I did a quick search and found this info, hope it helps.

Reseting N code on Norcold Refrigerators

Turn system ON.

When “n” code appears:

Press and hold the MODE and TEMP SET buttons together.

Release them when a 1 appears.

The 1 should change to an 8.

Press the mode key until a 6 appears.

Stop and an E r should begin to flash.

Press the TEMP SET button until C L appears.

Press the TEMP SET button until the E r returns.

Turn system OFF.

Turn system back ON.

You guys stay safe and warm, looking forward to our visit after Christmas.

Check and make sure your drain line is not frozen up...

also check this out

Steve

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

This is basically what happened to us:

Sherry

Some codes are re-settable more than once; others lock you out after two tries (one seems successful, second fails, you're done....)

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

UPDATE ! UPDATE !

It was beginning to be a struggle for us. Fatigue from long hours at Amazon, the refrigerator went out and our days and nights were totally switched out. We had moved the refrigerator stuff into an ice chest and continued to work at Amazon. But Mother Nature was fixin' to over power us.

By now most of us are aware of the blizzard that is sweeping down across the prarie, down deep to Texas.

To make a long story short, we bailed out. The quality of life was diminishing rapidly as our resources dwindled. We turned in our ID cards, ect. and hastily loaded our plunder, then split out, just ahead of the fast approaching storm.

Since we can follow the storm's position on live radar, via the internet, using our 3G device while rolling down the highway, we were able to modify our exit route a little to put more distance between us and the storm. Instead of traveling straight South, the straightest route to Arkansas, we went to the East about a hundred miles, then turned South. The reasoning behind this was that the most direct route would put us traveling continually in the leading edge of the fast moving storm. The margin for error in that plan was too slim and we were needing to pause for an hour or so to catch a meal, ect..

We are now at the house in Arkansas and the storm is coming in right behind us. Betty is at the store picking up a few supplies so we can weather out the storm in better shape. I will leave to top off fuel in our vehicles and get extra generator gas when I finish this posting.

Refrigerator situation is still not good. We may be able to get someone to look at it right after CHRISTmas.

Wise decision to bug out early, guys! Seeing the weather forecast played a big part in our decision to get out of there early too. Just not worth it for the regular pay we'd get for pushing long hours this week.

By the way, Gizmodo interviewed us for an article about our workamping experience at Amazon. Oliver also got featured :)

http://gizmodo.com/5433487/the-secret-l ... zons-elves

Happy holidays to all.. be warm, be safe and be full of love and joy.

- Cherie

• Moderators

Lunch on the run ! As we fled Coffeyville Kansas where we had worked for Amazon.com for several weeks, after leaving the Sugar Beet Harvest up on the Canadian border country, we gained a bit of a lead on the storm that would soon have states Governors declaring a state of emergency. We had hastily rounded up our stuff where we were camped at Elk City Lake State park located just 5 miles North West of Independence Kansas, and were out running the fast approaching storm. We had worked at loading our stuff well past lunch time and were famished ! Since we are fans of the Food Network's Diners, Drive inns and Dives, we had seen a show featuring a restaurant that was on our route to the East, located on Old Historic Route 66, in Baxter Springs Kansas. One last quick check of the live radar told us that if we didn't tarry long, we could stay ahead of the storm that was coming up behind us. We couldn't resist, we just had to stop in for lunch. As it turns out, we havn't been the only ones to stop in while on the run ! Jessie James had robbed the place back when the building housed a bank !

Lunch was great ! We ordered the open faced roast Beef sandwiches and the plate was heaped with hearty, but fine tasting fare ! Served on antique heavy dinnerware. There were no quick and "flashy" fast food type food stuffs on our plates, but for example the mashed potatoes, both scoops of them on each plate, were not instant or dehydrated, but actualy freshly prepared potatoes. Flavor and boquet of each item on our plates was of similar quality, and most excelent.

Even though Betty is absolutely worn out from our stint at Amazon, you can see the look of enjoyment on her face as we lunch. Folks, let me tell you, THIS PLACE HAS A MASTER CHEFF !! That means that un expected things can happen, like this exquisite desert, the likes of which I hadn't consumed since being in Torremelenos Spain in the early sixties !

Note that before I could snap a quick photo, Betty had already sunk her fork into this chocolate delight ! Now here is the thing that I enjoyed as well as the fine food, the atmosphere made this blue collar working couple, I was wearing my bib overhauls, feel at home while consuming master cheff prepared foods that were worthy of the finest dining places on the European Continent. Here is a look at the interior so that you might also get a feel for this fine old establishment located on Historic old route 66 in Baxter springs Kansas.

Here is a quick video look at the entry way to the Cafe on the Route:

th_100_0928.jpg