Oliver - built like a cruising yacht

Keith-n-Jill

Finally, we pulled the trigger and placed an order for the fabulous Oliver Legacy Elite II, expected delivery in April 2022. I imagine that we're like of a lot of the Oliver owners; aging baby-boomers looking to see this great country in style. We've never owned an RV. We rented a Class-A motor home about two months ago.  We quickly figured out that driving an eleven ton particle-board-and-stapled rig down I-75 just isn't for us. We started researching travel trailers. My bride had her heart set on an Airstream so we went to the local dealer for a tour. Frankly, I was underwhelmed; the build quality was far below my expectations. There were several parked on the lot for repairs—mostly expensive panel replacements from minor dings.

The next day we saw an Oliver. The Oliver isn’t built like a trailer. It’s built like a blue water cruising yacht. The solid construction, fit, finish and smart design put this travel trailer in a completely different class from the rest of the industry. The Oliver is robust; everything else is flimsy in comparison. We were sold the minute we walked inside.

Anyway, we have much to learn. I’ve owned boats in the past (not the one below) but this will be our first travel trailer. I’ve been lurking around the forum for a few days, gaining some wisdom from you all. My wife and I will be at the mini-rally in Jacksonville in October.  We hope to meet some of you next month. 

I posted these pics for comparison. The interior of the LE II has the look and feel of a cruising sailboat--not a travel trailer.

Coach roof x boat.jpg

oliver-13-rear-view-standard-1.jpg

• Like 4

Keith & Jill Burnett | 2022 LE2  #1071 | 2021 Toyota Tundra

Atlanta GA

• Moderators

Welcome Keith and Jill!  Your journey sounds familiar, a lot of us became Oliver owners the same way you are.  There are many experienced Oliver owners and RV-ers here to answer any questions you may have.  Glad to have you on board!  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

K-n-J

Welcome!  Congrates on your Ollie order - April will be here before you know it and you have a bit of time to study in the Oliver University and ask a bunch of questions.

I too will be at the mini-rally (site 117 - just like my hull #).  Twist and I certainly hope that you two will stop by for a visit.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Since you've owned boats, particularly if cruising boats, you'll be ahead of the game. 12v systems are the same, pretty much, on land or sea. We have both a sailboat, and an ollie.

Some systems are the same,  others vastly different.  But, the Ollie is definitely easier,  and, less expensive,  to maintain. 

Oh, and pumpout is much, much easier. Lol.

Congratulations !

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

SeaDawg:  I'm reasonably mechanical and able to sling a set of wrenches; I've always been into antique/classic cars.  I can get my head around 12-volt systems and I'm used to it.  I saw the LE II wiring harness on an Oliver video; that was one of the things that sold me.  Brilliant design is often simple and elegant. It seems that the boys at Oliver have it in spades.

We need to figure out which generator to buy--got to have AC in hot weather. The Ollie should be much easier to maintain than a boat. I'm liking the idea of using gravity to empty those holding tanks. . . 

• Like 1

Keith & Jill Burnett | 2022 LE2  #1071 | 2021 Toyota Tundra

Atlanta GA

We went through the same thought process. I spent over a year investigating the Oliver before starting to put together the finances. We feel truly blessed to have an Oliver. Enjoy the journey!

• Like 1

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

• Moderators

X yacht, 4.0? Nice.

So, you don't need the gimballed stove anymore, either. Lol.

One of our best friends, who camps and sails often with us, always has great comments on our trailer. (He's helped us on a few mods, like the ac replacement,  when our 14 year old unit was reaching end of life. ) He's worked in the luxury yacht industry his whole life.

Last trip, he asked me where the grab handles were from. He thought we'd added them, but they're original.  Still look new. And, sleek. 14 seasons old.

Our years of experience with well built  fiberglass hulls is what drew us to Oliver, as well. Our sailboat is over 40 years old, and going strong. 

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.