Furnace slow to heat cabin

Is it normal for it to take an hour to change the inside temperature by 12-15 degrees?  its not the cold yet. the cabin temperature starts at around 50 degrees and takes 45 minutes +/- to reach  60-64 degrees.  I'm assuming the heat only runs on propane and does not have an ac mode...    we will be headed out to some higher elevation of the grid camping next month with the temps at night dropping into the twenties. Please share your experience as to what is normal.  is there anything we can to to improve the furnace's performance? 

2016 Legacy Elite II, Twin Beds, Hull #124

Tow Vehicle: 2019 Ford F250 4x4  / Short Bed / Crew Cab / 6.7 Diesel

Fieldbrook, Ca

Are you vents open? Those little round ones on the curb side. One under the bed (I keep that half closed to force air into the rest of the cabin), and one in front of kitchen. Once the main cabin is getting warm we open the bathroom door so that the vent in there ( under the paper holder) is allowed to circulate air. The next thing to check is the cold air return vent (the rectangular one at the back on the curb side) is open so the cold inside air can get back to the furnace. I have gone from cold cold cold to comfortable in about 15 minutes.

With the camper winterized I have used RV antifreeze to flush with, and carried a case (or two) of water in the tow vehicle which we move to the camper when warm.

Hope it is something simple like this. Put your hand in front of those round ones to see if warm air coming out. If you get down near them you can see if they are open or close. The outside ring only changes air flow direction. The inside one regulates air flow...

• Thanks 1

all vents open.. the warm air flow is modest coming out of the vents. 

On the thermostat is set on the furnace mode. the heater kicks on (hot at the outside exhaust) and the ceiling unit comes as long as the furnace is on.  

Don't know what the heat strip is and have never use this mode.

Fieldbrook, Ca

• Moderators
1 hour ago, taylor.coyote said:

On the thermostat is set on the furnace mode. the heater kicks on (hot at the outside exhaust) and the ceiling unit comes as long as the furnace is on.  

Do you mean the fan on the ac unit is running, or the heatstrip in your ac is running, along with the fan ?

I don't have your dometic thermostat, but I've read other posts in the past about the ac fan running when the furnace runs. I don't recall the resolution, but I'll see if I  can find it for you. That may be part of your problem. 

Edit to add:

I also think I remember someone saying that the fan had to be turned off, before being set to auto, to eliminate the ac fan running along with the furnace, but I could be wrong. Better to check your thermostat manual .

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Your furnace should warm things up pretty quick.  I run the furnace with the fan on auto so that the AC unit remains off.  I run the AC with the fan on Low to prevent fan cycling.  Check under the bed to ensure the ducting is attached to the furnace and ducts.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

We had the same problem with very slow heat on our second trip. The heater just seemed to run all night and my wife could not get warm. I. Was very warm and then noticed the wall next to my bunk was hot. Turns out the ducting had come off the box and was blowing into the compartment under the bed. The duct had been cut too short and stretched too tight to stay on. I rerouted the duct and used a lot of duct tape. I was going to have Oliver replace it at the 2020 rally, but....

• Thanks 2

• Moderators
7 hours ago, taylor.coyote said:

Is it normal for it to take an hour to change the inside temperature by 12-15 degrees?  its not the cold yet. the cabin temperature starts at around 50 degrees and takes 45 minutes +/- to reach  60-64 degrees.  I'm assuming the heat only runs on propane and does not have an ac mode...    we will be headed out to some higher elevation of the grid camping next month with the temps at night dropping into the twenties. Please share your experience as to what is normal.  is there anything we can to to improve the furnace's performance? 

Mossey

• Thanks 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Thanks for all the input. As always, your help is appreciated. Ended up as user error. I did not understand the function of the fan in auto mode. The fan set in auto mode changed the entire equation, Lots more heat fast. 

• Like 1

Fieldbrook, Ca

• Moderators

@taylor.coyote there have been many posts on this, over the years.

Glad you got the situation resolved,  before you head out to camp without services.

I'd still probably lift the lids, and make sure ducting looks secure and attached. 

Have fun. Enjoy the adventure. 

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Thanks for all the input. As always, your help is appreciated. Ended up as user error. I did not understand the function of the fan in auto mode. The fan set in auto mode changed the entire equation, Lots more heat fast. 

all ducting is secure. 

• Like 3

Fieldbrook, Ca