Windows not rain proof

DJM

• Moderators

Rain runs off the roof, down the sides and over the windows.  With the Fiamma manual awning the rain runs between the back of the awning and down the sides.  Initially, there was a rubber strip between the awning and trailer, but that came off years ago.  We’ve found that the rain gutters we installed help during light and moderate rain to route the water around the window.  Otherwise, if we need air when it’s raining we use the maxxfan to pull air through the bathroom vent or window.  John Davies’ HOW-TO on the EZE gutter install is here.  Do a search on “gutters” and you’ll find more.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

The rubber strip on my older Elite's Dometic awning  came off, had same problem with heavy rain cascading down the curb side.    Our newer Elite 2 has the Girard awning, and the rubber strip seems to work well.   OTT also modified the awning mounting brackets with drainage holes, a problem and solution identified on this forum some time back.   I also installed the EZE gutters, and so far, no leakage inside.  

• Like 1

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

3 hours ago, DJM said:

Add Tags...

I find that if we leave the windows open [even a little] in the rain the Rain comes in. This is so even with the Awning open? Is there any solution to this? 

Hi DJM,

I have the Girard and have found that it works great in the rain. We've sat under it a few times in a light/moderate rain storm with no problems. The only problem was when retracting the awning. It gave someone (?!)  who was still sitting underneath a real splash of cold water! Lol. Wish I had a video of that! So, we learned to always get the heck away from the awning during retraction in the rain. Regarding the windows, I also learned the hard way that leaving the window open even a crack will get the bed wet! When closed, the windows do great even in heavy rain. But you sure can't keep them cracked until you get gutters or something on them to keep the rain away. 

• Like 1

2021 Elite II #841, 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0 diesel

• Moderators

The same curves that make the Ollies so aerodynamic send rain into the windows,  unless you can provide another path.

Eze rv gutters help. Not with wind driven rain, with sliders. Some of us old timers have the no longer made maxxair window vents. (I'll add a link) 

Our awning helps. In a torrential downpour,  not so much. Wind? Can't leave the awning out. 

This is the same problem faced by every rv. Unless you have awning windows, and, trust me, they're not foolproof,  either.

Our 2008 has an awning escape window in the rear. It's pretty good at shedding rain, if we have not too much wind. We can still get wind driven rain, on really bad nights, but most of the time, it's ok .

With wind, we resort to the bath window, and our hooded fantastic vent to keep airflow. We have the luxury of two of the old school maxxair side vents,  as well.

I never leave ourv unprotected slider open, in a rainstorm.  Asking for trouble.

Thank goodness for hooded vent fans. Or, ac, if you have power.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

3 or 4 years ago we were camping up outside of Dallas.  It was late fall and the weather was cool.  We left for the afternoon and we left the awning out about 5’ and the window underneath open a couple of inches.  One of those big pop-up thunderstorms happened.  When we got back, the bed on the awning side (mine) was soaked.  Bedding, mattress, everything.  Not fun.  Now, we usually never leave the trailer with windows open (bathroom is an exception) and I almost always crank the awing in, if it’s out it’s only 2 or 3 feet.  EZE Gutters also help.  Mike

• Thanks 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Yes, wetness is no good. The issue with closing all the windows during the rain is that it can get a little muggy or hot inside. I'm going to try to solve this by getting a small table fan that I can put on the kitchen counter or dinette table to blow air toward the bed during sleep. The MaxAir does move air in and out but when I'm in the bed I can't really feel it. I'd rather have the open window. Love that feeling of fresh air during the rain.

• Like 2

2021 Elite II #841, 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0 diesel

We have fans similar to these suctioned on both sides above the bed. The USB ports are right there to plug into.

Mini fan Suction Cup Single Head 5.5 Inch Fan Gale Three-Speed Control USB Car Fan 12V-24V Electric Fan 124x12x75mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096ND3R34/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_MTS7N34D3PN4B8H6G7KE

I can add pictures tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

2019 Elite II Hull 435, 2022 Toyota Tundra

• Moderators

@wolfdds, I  bought a similar little fan at Lowe's,  with a clip and/or stand  last year. It's great. Can run on 12 v with the USB. It's not very powerful,  but a little white noise, and a little breeze, makes a difference.  Uses "almost" no power.

Our dog likes it, too.

Screenshot_20210914-222841_Lowe's.jpg

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Link to one of our discussions on old maxxair louver vents, and new 3d printed replacement 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Water does run down the side of the rounded fiberglass trailer pretty good, this is because of the  trailers design. Some do put drip rails on there trailers, but for me I don't want the look of them on my trailer. Ours even runs more because of removing the stick on drip rail that runs along the patio awing which would probably help some, but it was nothing more then a collector for leaves, pine twigs, dirt, etc. and needed cleaning all the time.  

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• Moderators

See three posts above for the link to discussion of window louver vents. Just click on the photo, and that discussion should open for you.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Thanks, 1lessworker. I think that's the same link in the thread Bill posted in the thread I linked, but it makes it easier.

I reread the thread this morning. Looks like he's still making them, as someone posted about receiving his two weeks ago, with glowing comments. 

I sent the designer a pm, as I'm a (not very active) member of fgrv, also. I'll share when/if I  get  a response.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

On 9/14/2021 at 10:09 PM, wolfdds said:

We have fans similar to these suctioned on both sides above the bed. The USB ports are right there to plug into.

Mini fan Suction Cup Single Head 5.5 Inch Fan Gale Three-Speed Control USB Car Fan 12V-24V Electric Fan 124x12x75mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096ND3R34/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_MTS7N34D3PN4B8H6G7KE

I can add pictures tomorrow.

Sorry for the delay posting these pictures.

fan2.jpg

fan.jpg

• Like 2

2019 Elite II Hull 435, 2022 Toyota Tundra